• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best in MA

Tin

Ha! Mind if we dance with your dates?

We went up the month after and I remember seeing a cemetery the tornado had gone through. They had blue tarps over coffins that had been ripped out of the ground.

Newpylong

I would go with Jiminy Peak for the best combination of season length, terrain, snowmaking, lifts and night skiing.

otisshirley

Berkshire East has the best terrain: steeper steeps (except maybe that one trail at Catamount), a fair number of rarely-groomed trails, etc. But the snowmaking isn't that great so a lot of the mountain is dependent on natural snow. And it's rarely crowded.

Despite its poor reputation in these parts, I like Wachusett for exactly opposite reasons. The terrain is not that interesting, but they have good snowmaking and grooming and high-speed lifts. So if hasn't snowed for a while and you go during the week, you can do a lot of laps on decent conditions.

catsup948

Berkshire East has the best terrain: steeper steeps (except maybe that one trail at Catamount), a fair number of rarely-groomed trails, etc. But the snowmaking isn't that great so a lot of the mountain is dependent on natural snow. And it's rarely crowded.

Despite its poor reputation in these parts, I like Wachusett for exactly opposite reasons. The terrain is not that interesting, but they have good snowmaking and grooming and high-speed lifts. So if hasn't snowed for a while and you go during the week, you can do a lot of laps on decent conditions.

Snowmaking at Berkshire East has recently had a massive upgrade. When it's mid January and your only choice is groomers I'd take Berkshire East over most bigger mountains.

Higgl

Despite their massive upgrade I still feel as though Berkshire East has been starting off slowly this year in terms of the their blowing. I think a lot of it has to do with the warm weather recently, and I'm stoked to see it finally cooling off a bit, but they had very little open today.
Does anyone know when their new quad is going to be open?

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com

Despite its poor reputation in these parts, I like Wachusett ...

I don't think Wachusett has a bad reputation at all. The complaints I always hear about Wachusett are:
1. Huge crowds (and lift lines)
2. By policy, they have stopped leaving half a run for the mogul enthusiasts
3. No steeps

prsboogie

I don't think Wachusett has a bad reputation at all. The complaints I always hear about Wachusett are:
1. Huge crowds (and lift lines)
2. By policy, they have stopped leaving half a run for the mogul enthusiasts
3. No steeps

They will seed half of 10th Mountain, skier's left mid season. They knock down any naturally formed ones though.

hrstrat57

IMHO the seeded bumps on the bottom of Hitchcock were a disaster glad they are gone, ruined the best cruiser on the mountain not steep enough for bumps anyway. Stupid, good call to ditch that experiment.....

OTOH the natural bumps that sometimes form on the left of lower Challenger can be a blast.....

MadMadWorld

IMHO the seeded bumps on the bottom of Hitchcock were a disaster glad they are gone, ruined the best cruiser on the mountain not steep enough for bumps anyway. Stupid, good call to ditch that experiment.....

OTOH the natural bumps that sometimes form on the left of lower Challenger can be a blast.....

Weird....I don't go to Wawa much anymore but I liked the Hitchcock bumps were fun to rip. When do bumps ever form on Challenger? I have never seen a race trail with bumps on half of it. Maybe they did this at the very end of the season. I think Challenger would actually make a very good bump run but it will never happen.

Natural bumps would never form well at WaWa. Too many people that go in and ruin any good line