• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big Tupper

Sparky

A while ago I heard there was some talk about reopening Tupper. Has anybody heard anythong about this?

Has anyone skied there back in the day? I understand it has beenm closed for a while. i would check it out on Nelsap, but for some reason the office surf control won't let me. :angry:

thetrailboss

Staff member
I believe I heard that the neighboring ski area was going to buy it and merge it into their operations...saw an article either online or somewhere else...

highpeaksdrifter

Big Tupper closed in 1999 I think.

This development was suppose to be a slam dunk for approval by the APA. I have a friend who lives in Tupper Lake who is the Pres. of the country club there and he isn't happy. People who buy in get golf as part of the deal and alot of cash is going to come their way when and if this development happens. Tupper Lake is beautiful, but it's hard to make a living there. The community needs this, at least that is what most of the residents I have talked to think.

TUPPER LAKE -- The Adirondack Park Agency has stalled a development proposal that would reopen the Big Tupper ski area and create 744 high-end vacation homes nearby.

Michael Foxman, the spokesman for Preserve Associates LLC -- the Pennsylvania-based investors behind the planned Adirondack Club and Resort -- said prices of $125,000 to $400,000 for building lots are "value-appropriate" for what the resort will offer.

In addition to Big Tupper, a 30-trail ski area with a 1,200-foot vertical drop, property owners also would have access to an 18-hole golf course owned by the town and a 40-slip marina on Tupper Lake. The Raquette River and three ponds also are nearby

Sparky

Thanks highpeaksdrifter. That sheads a lot of light on the issue. Sounds like the kind of thing that would do well right now.

Has anyone skied there? If so do you have any pictures to share?

tlloweb

Website
www.freewebs.com
Ski Big Tupper

There are many questions unanswered about opening the Ski slope in Tupper Lake.
I did ski there many years ago as a child and loved it. As a summer resident I would go there and enjoy short lines and great trails - however the re-opening may not be the same. Please read the information on our website at: http://www.freewebs.com/tupperlakelandowners/ We try to list all information available about the project without bias. If you see more informationa available, please let us know and we will list it.