• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Black Mountain, NH CLOSED

snoseek

I burned an indy day last week there. Its the same I left it 20 years ago which is a good thing. Things were quite thin and adventurous. walk up was 91 dollars I think which is pretty ridiculous IMO

oldfartrider

I went yesterday. Haven’t been in years. I hope the place survives it has such a unique feel but I have my doubts. By contrast day before I was at BMOM what a vast difference between those 2
Mountains.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think one of the advantages BMOM has is it has less competition for locals than NH Black. BMOM is super cheap for locals both with day passes and season passes. NH Black is not. And BMOM locals have a major step up in price if they were to choose Boyne or Saddleback instead vs NH Black where locals can choose Epic, which is more affordable than IKon, Boyne or Saddleback season pass prices.

I believe BMOM also receives some outside funding via grants that NH Black does not.

I like them both, but I think BMOM is the better mountain overall. Better vertical and pitch plus vastly more tree skiing. Holds snow better too

BodeMiller1

I think one of the advantages BMOM has is it has less competition for locals than NH Black. BMOM is super cheap for locals both with day passes and season passes. NH Black is not. And BMOM locals have a major step up in price if they were to choose Boyne or Saddleback instead vs NH Black where locals can choose Epic, which is more affordable than IKon, Boyne or Saddleback season pass prices.

I believe BMOM also receives some outside funding via grants that NH Black does not.

I like them both, but I think BMOM is the better mountain overall. Better vertical and pitch plus vastly more tree skiing. Holds snow better too
I learned of Black Maine from a guy delivering propane to my chalet. He talked me into going and it's a great ski hill.
DHS, yep, they have a lot of local support. Kind of a FU to Sunday River and Sugarloaf, A great skiing hill.

Now, as a UVM guy I can get a Sugar Bush pass for est. $600 for next year and I want to hit Whiteface, NY. I do miss Maine. 💚

It's cool you're up there with your son. If there's one thing my father did for me (besides teaching me how to work) was taking me North to ski. He would bring me and 3 or 4 friends to Cannon, Bretton Woods and many other ski areas, even though he wasn't skiing any longer.

More power to you.

urungus

Have been wanting to go to Black NH this season in case a buyer is not found but every time I check the trail report they have zero double blacks and only about 4 black diamond trails open. Has the Summit Double been open at all this season ?

2Planker

Have been wanting to go to Black NH this season in case a buyer is not found but every time I check the trail report they have zero double blacks and only about 4 black diamon
NH Black is getting 50 degree pouring rain today.
They're gonna have little terrain left

snoseek

Judging by the snowpack I saw last week I doubt they make the next 2 weeks honestly

LoafSkier19

Have been wanting to go to Black NH this season in case a buyer is not found but every time I check the trail report they have zero double blacks and only about 4 black diamond trails open. Has the Summit Double been open at all this season ?
Summit double was open when I was there early February. It was getting thin pretty quick just that day so can’t imagine it will reopen without more snow.

eatskisleep

Judging by the snowpack I saw last week I doubt they make the next 2 weeks honestly
Yeah same. Not good.

What is their asking price anyway? You'd think some of this would be public in hopes of finding a buyer, no?

It really is too bad, because Black does have some amazing terrain and such a great vibe. The double is one of my favorite chair lifts. The summit has some great steeps when it fills in. It is too bad they built a condo at the Botton of Sugarbush trail (and Sweet). This kinda killed flow, especially for beginners who can't carry speed up hill. I know my snowboarding friends that is teaching his 4 year old to snowboard won't even bother with that trail anymore.

While we are on the topic of Black... "Davis" ski trail became "Twilight" in the latest trail maps... Davis has been a named trail on the mountain since 1948 and they are still a family in Jackson... Did the owner have a falling out with them too?

eatskisleep

Yeah same. Not good.

What is their asking price anyway? You'd think some of this would be public in hopes of finding a buyer, no?

It really is too bad, because Black does have some amazing terrain and such a great vibe. The double is one of my favorite chair lifts. The summit has some great steeps when it fills in. It is too bad they built a condo at the Botton of Sugarbush trail (and Sweet). This kinda killed flow, especially for beginners who can't carry speed up hill. I know my snowboarding friends that is teaching his 4 year old to snowboard won't even bother with that trail anymore.

While we are on the topic of Black... "Davis" ski trail became "Twilight" in the latest trail maps... Davis has been a named trail on the mountain since 1948 and they are still a family in Jackson... Did the owner have a falling out with them too?
Closing day today, any updates?? Or might it be closing for good? 😢