• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Black Mountain (NH) Intel?

Zand

Planning on a mini trip this week to NH to (hopefully) seek out some powder and deeper bases. Based on what's open at both, Loon and Cannon look like they could get a damn good chunk of natural stuff open if 6" or so materializes. However, Black's report looks less promising as only about 25% of the mountain is open. What is the likelihood that some of their glades will open if they get 6" or so? I've been interested checking the place out with the Indy pass but don't want to waste my time if the good stuff isn't open. I'd be perfectly happy skiing Cannon for 2 days (or a day at Loon) if Black is still only gonna be groomers.

LonghornSkier

Poster on AmericanWx who lives at 1200’ in Jackson reported 12” of snowpack the other day.

Zand

Driving up tomorrow morning and still have no idea if Black is a good idea or not. They decided today would be a good day to not update the snow report so no idea what they've gotten open. They posted on Instagram about 30 mins ago that they're up to 10" so I'd love to go if they'd just post some damn information in their snow report.

Zand

Great idea. Got a foot or so in Bartlett today.
There's no doubt the snow will be good. Just hoping they actually open up some woods and the upper mountain. If not I'd be better off going literally anywhere else.

Mainer

Wildcat was really good today, but the woods were questionable. Black has less snow. In years past black used to open the double One day and triple next. Used to get vouchers there, was great because it never got skied and no one was there. There snowmaking sucks but most of the trails are grassy mowed meadows.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Generally speaking Black opens stuff up with a very thin base. You would unlikely be hassled for ducking ropes also

Zand

Generally speaking Black opens stuff up with a very thin base. You would unlikely be hassled for ducking ropes also
That's encouraging...their Monday snow report did mention that "if the storm comes up big, we should be close to 100%" so hopefully a foot is enough. Dont mind some thin cover.

Zand

So decided to go for it. Unfortunately I was well up Rt 16 when they finally updated the snow report with the declaration of no summit lift today.

It's a cool place and I'll definitely come back when it's 100% open, but it's a long drive for only 800 vert on the triple. Definitely wish I went to Cannon instead.

deadheadskier

Staff member
That sucks. IMO they should run the double only midweek and save the triple for weekends when capacity is needed

Zand

0203211417.jpg
So they have some tame looking stuff that's full of coverage roped off, but shit like this (with NO warning sign about cliffs, pricker bushes, or any of the other assorted stuff I encountered) is not roped. Not even a trail sign, but the top looks like an unassuming powder filled cutaround and then you come up to this thing.

Haven't found the barbed wire fences in the woods yet though.

Edit: According to the map, this is a double black called Mr Rew. And unlike what the map shows, there is not a bailout in the middle. They should probably...you know...put a sign at the top. Can't believe this is open but the liftline under the triple is closed.

Mainer

Love black, you never know what your going to get. Been there on a 12” powder and the 3 other skiers and I had to wait for the one of the 2 lifties to get there. He got stuck behind a snowplow. Lift opened 9:15. 5th skier didn’t get there until 10. I think they where the first overhead chairlift in North America, might even be the same one that’s still there.

Smellytele

Love black, you never know what your going to get. Been there on a 12” powder and the 3 other skiers and I had to wait for the one of the 2 lifties to get there. He got stuck behind a snowplow. Lift opened 9:15. 5th skier didn’t get there until 10. I think they where the first overhead chairlift in North America, might even be the same one that’s still there.
The lift was an over head like a t-bar but had a shovel handle that you grabbed onto.

Slidebrook87

2 pictures of said lift. Originally built in 1935, but it barely runs anymore.

Attachments

• 63DCF4D2-99E0-47AE-A037-664AD369E082.jpeg
    63DCF4D2-99E0-47AE-A037-664AD369E082.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
  • DF822538-52E5-48A4-B35F-48A30B7999B5.jpeg
    DF822538-52E5-48A4-B35F-48A30B7999B5.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38

eatskisleep

2 pictures of said lift. Originally built in 1935, but it barely runs anymore.
They were working on it this summer, claim will run it more this winter for beginners.

Speaking of intel, what’s the reason their parking lot is closed off with a shit ton of no trespassing and security camera signs. Can’t think of any other ski areas where you cannot drive into their parking lot. Seems hostile. Also you used to be able to sled down Whitney Hill but this past season that seemed like a bike no-go too. Was a great spot for kids.

Smellytele

They were working on it this summer, claim will run it more this winter for beginners.

Speaking of intel, what’s the reason their parking lot is closed off with a shit ton of no trespassing and security camera signs. Can’t think of any other ski areas where you cannot drive into their parking lot. Seems hostile. Also you used to be able to sled down Whitney Hill but this past season that seemed like a bike no-go too. Was a great spot for kids.
Owner is kind of a toolbag. I guess not kind of. Like the ski area though.

snoseek

When it has the snow it is one of the best places to ski. It’s like NH’s version of Magic. Lol
I took my first turns on a big backhill in my grandparents backyard. Black reminds me of that and thats a good thing. When its good it really good. It faces south so timing is key