• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke submits act 250 application for new Lift

thetrailboss

Staff member
Fair enough

Okay, when I go there, I want to walk from the parking down to Mid-Burke lodge, not up. :lol:

Either that or put a lift ticket shack down by the base of the lift and I'll boot up at my car. ;)

You get kudos for (1) going to Burke, and (2) bypassing Sherburne and going for the real Burke experience by going to MidBurke. The main part of that lodge was built by the State for the then fledgling ski area IIRC. It was built in the 1950's when the state was trying to get ski areas to open. The original part of the lodge is actually the part in the middle with the old log siding:

247011_10150205984274667_744459666_7112645_1817555_n.jpg

IMG_03391.jpg

The wing with the Bear Den was added later:

IMG_0009.jpg

DSCN0600.JPG

psyflyer

While hiking today we saw heavy machinery tearing up the pavement of the mid Burke parking lot. There was other stuff going on but could not tell exactly, either way they are busy working. Not sure when it started as we have been away but by the looks of it, it seemed recent. Super excited for the new lift and the new mountain biking trails!

psyflyer

Today we hiked up the new lift-line almost to the top. They have removed half of the parking lot of mid Burke and the other half still stands paved. They were moving dirt around and seemed quite busy. From up there you can clearly see where the terminal will be.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Still no official annoucement from Burke. I wonder if they are waiting to do the announcement at next weekend's Lift Served Downhill MTB ribbon cutting ceremony that will have the govenor in attendence. That would provide a good opportunity considering the media coverage that follows the govenor around.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Still no official annoucement from Burke. I wonder if they are waiting to do the announcement at next weekend's Lift Served Downhill MTB ribbon cutting ceremony that will have the govenor in attendence. That would provide a good opportunity considering the media coverage that follows the govenor around.

That would make sense. They need to entice the media to come though!

FWIW I ran into a fellow Dawn Patrol member last night who lives on the mountain and he said that the mountain signed the contract last week.

J'Hams

Guys.....

Today on the Burke Area Chamber of Commerce facebook page.......They put up a photo taken from the bottom of the surface life looking up with the photo description of something like, "New HSQ lift is happening" and I texted the news to my friend saying it was "Official"--I wouldn't have said "official" if I hadn't actually seen it....Now however, the photo is mysteriously gone. I was one of 8 or so that commented on it...There was like, 89 people that liked it.. So yeah, its on.

deadheadskier

Staff member
cool J'Hams if you hear any more info, post it up.

Do you attend the Wormtown festivals, or just live in Worcester?

deadheadskier

Staff member
cool. my brother is good friends with the folks who own wormtown trading. We grew up in Westboro.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I'm going to try to get some pics this weekend. Apparently a lot of the regrading between the Willoughby quad and the base of the new HSQ has been done to remove the uphill section near the snow making pond.

Area in blue

Burke_HSQ_overhead.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm going to try to get some pics this weekend. Apparently a lot of the regrading between the Willoughby quad and the base of the new HSQ has been done to remove the uphill section near the snow making pond.

Area in blue

Burke_HSQ_overhead.jpg

Nice. On my last visit, two weeks ago, this area was marked and DIG SAFED. I figured it was going to be regraded.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Guys.....

Today on the Burke Area Chamber of Commerce facebook page.......They put up a photo taken from the bottom of the surface life looking up with the photo description of something like, "New HSQ lift is happening" and I texted the news to my friend saying it was "Official"--I wouldn't have said "official" if I hadn't actually seen it....Now however, the photo is mysteriously gone. I was one of 8 or so that commented on it...There was like, 89 people that liked it.. So yeah, its on.

I can't find it either. As you can see from my pictures, they definitely are doing it. For some reason they are waiting to make the splash though.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Went up this afternoon and got some pics. Looks like right now only half of the parking lot is going to be taken out. They regraded the slope between the Willoughby quad, although they didn't dig in as close to the snow making pond as I thought they would.

DSC01362.jpg

DSC01365.jpg

DSC01368.jpg

DSC01370.jpg

DSC01405.jpg

DSC01403.jpg

DSC01398.jpg

Up on top the clouds were a bit thick.

Looking at the location of the new HSQ terminal from the Willougby unload.

DSC01411.jpg

DSC01413.jpg

More pics here:
http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn238/from_the_nek/Burke%20HSQ/