• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Chairlifts that go uphill and downhill

NHpowderhound

I think it is a strange sensation traveling down on a charlift.

What are some lifts you have ridden that go downhill before traveling uphill again.
One that comes to mind is at Killington. I think it's on Sunrise mountain or over that way but the name of it is eludung me right now and I dont feel like looking it up.
((*
*))NHPH

kcyanks1

Doesn't the Black Triple Chair at Magic go down (very little) at the way beginning? I've only been there once, so maybe my memory is bad.

Newpylong

Northeast Passage at Killington used to go downhill after the Midstations (Hawk's Nest was its name)? All gone now thanks to ASC. I haven't ridden the shortened Village Triple, so I forgot if that still goes down or not.

RISkier

Rode one at Deer Valley. I think it was he Silver Lake Express but not sure if that's the correct lift. I found riding down the mountain very strange.

TwinTips21

Havn't posted here in awhile but one that comes to mind is the gondola that goes to the top of little Whiteface at Whiteface Mountain.

nelsapbm

The Worth Mtn Chair at the Middlebury Snow Bowl goes down hill for a short distance after the mid-station followed by a pretty steep climb.

MikeTrainor

What about that connecting lift at Sunday River that takes you over to Jordan Bowl. I believe you can load from each side

Greg

Staff member
ALLSKIING said:
The Slide Brook at the Bush.
By far the wildest lift ride I've been on. The lift really cranks so the descents are blast. It's almost like an amusement park ride...

sledhaulingmedic

kcyanks1 said:
Doesn't the Black Triple Chair at Magic go down (very little) at the way beginning? I've only been there once, so maybe my memory is bad.

No. Rather Flat, but not down hill. The return side goes uphill before the lift line and the loaded side goes downhill right before the loading area, but that's so the counterclockwise drive could be loaded from the "looker's left" side."

Unusual, Absolutely!

Travels downhill, not really.

Smuggs? Attitash?

Jonni

ski_resort_observer said:
I usually get pretty relaxed riding a chairlift but the last 100 ft to the landing zone going from LP to ME I hold on tight. :lol:

Longest and fastest high speed quad in the world. There's one day a year I pay the $65 just to ride that lift. Don't get me wrong, I still take some runs, but usually one in between trips.

http://www.skilifts.org/vt-sugarbush.html

wintersyndrome

I have to agree with a few of you here that The slidebrook is my favorite.

Its like a modern day sleigh-ride through the woods...Its cool to see all the skier and animal tracks in the woods and coming from SB north to SB South when you break over the final ridge, that is just one awesome view...Ive taken so many pictures of that and have had people ask me..."Is that out west?"....makes you realize the immense proportion of the bush ("My thats some big bush!")

skibum1321

I always like downloading on the GMX at the Bush in the spring. It's such a weird sensation riding the lift down.

SkiDork

Newpylong said:
Northeast Passage at Killington used to go downhill after the Midstations (Hawk's Nest was its name)? All gone now thanks to ASC. I haven't ridden the shortened Village Triple, so I forgot if that still goes down or not.

What is now known as the sunrise triple still goes downhill.

Mr MRG

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.madriverglen.com
Going Downhill Fast

Mad River Single downloads during our foliage ride season, the last weekend of Sept and the first weekend in Oct. Nothing like riding a single downhill.

Does unintentional trips downhill (backwards) on a chairlift count in this discussion? I've had one, but would prefer to not mention the area to remain PC. I will tell you it was in NY state in the early 1970's and we slid back a good 100', YIKES!!!!

THINK SNOW!!!

Eric

ga2ski

MikeTrainor said:
What about that connecting lift at Sunday River that takes you over to Jordan Bowl. I believe you can load from each side

Forgot about that lift as I hradly ever ride it. The only fun thing about that lift is talking to the people going the opposite directions.