• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Chilly Out There...

Zand

Already down into the 50s here. I keep expecting to look at the trees and see colored leaves, but unfortunately it's still July. Supposed to be like this all weekend so that will be nice.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I have really enjoyed this Summer so far despite the excessive amount of rainy and cloudy days up here. Much different than the oppressive and consistent high temperature of last Summer. We are not in the clear quite yet as early August can be quite hot, but I count this Summer as very comfortable in comparison to many others.

drjeff

I just wish it would go into the usual summer dryer weather pattern. This regular rain/t-storm pattern that has set up(atleast around my house in CT) has me still cutting my lawn at prime spring growing season frequency as opposed to the usual July/August slowdown that typically happens this time of year.

On the flip side, if this precip pattern keeps up, we won't have any issues with water levels/supplies in the various snowmaking water sources around the Northeast in a few short months when it's needed!

Greg

Staff member
Weird weather today for the end of July. Kind of that fine blowing rain you get in the Fall. Oh, and I just said "end of July"! It's coming folks! :beer:

Greg

Staff member
I just wish it would go into the usual summer dryer weather pattern. This regular rain/t-storm pattern that has set up(atleast around my house in CT) has me still cutting my lawn at prime spring growing season frequency as opposed to the usual July/August slowdown that typically happens this time of year.

Interesting how people are different. I was just thinking today how great my grass looks for the end of July. I hate when it goes dormant in the summer.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Interesting how people are different. I was just thinking today how great my grass looks for the end of July. I hate when it goes dormant in the summer.
Irrigation does wonders of those hot july and august months...The down side is that it grows at the same rate all growing season.

Greg

Staff member
Irrigation does wonders of those hot july and august months...The down side is that it grows at the same rate all growing season.

Well water here. Luckily, we can get away with "spot watering". Also , due to a good number of shady oak trees in our yard, the most susceptible area to drying out is a small one right up front. We had about a 3 week period last summer where it all dried out, but I refuse to water the entire lawn. Being almost at the top of a 900 foot hill, the whole neighborhood dries out very quickly. We can go from lush to brown in a few weeks. But again, since we have well water, I have to trade a green lawn for being able to do laundry sometimes... ;)

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
Hah I was just thinking about the unseasonably cool temps this year. I have only had two days were I came home from work and couldn't stand to be in my NON AC apartment. By comparison last year at this time I had raked up FAR MORE! (there were even some days in the 90-s in April last year remember?)

Now if we could only have what we had last September all summer that would be great (cool temps and not a single rainy weekend).

Greg

Staff member
(there were even some days in the 90-s in April last year remember?)

Yeah, but I also remember a very, very wet May and June. It must be global warming that's causing all this whacky weather, no? Wait a minute. The weather in New England is always whacky... ;)

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Well water here. Luckily, we can get away with "spot watering". Also , due to a good number of shady oak trees in our yard, the most susceptible area to drying out is a small one right up front. We had about a 3 week period last summer where it all dried out, but I refuse to water the entire lawn. Being almost at the top of a 900 foot hill, the whole neighborhood dries out very quickly. We can go from lush to brown in a few weeks. But again, since we have well water, I have to trade a green lawn for being able to do laundry sometimes... ;)
I have well water as well. I don't get it?

JohnGD33

I was working my summer job (construction) and I was getting soaked. It felt like a cold October day. I started thinking about the days I have left before I could make some turns.

Greg

Staff member
I have well water as well. I don't get it?

Being at the top of a hill, this area dries out very quickly. I know of a few neighbors that ran their wells dry. I have no interest in waiting a day or two to let my well recover so I can take a shower or flush the toilet just to have a green lawn...

Rob A

Not too long now! I'm so psyched for the ski season, although my home mountain may not be as good.