• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

COVID concerns in the Northeast

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

I wonder if vaccinated people will get exempted from quarantine after crossing state lines
I believe NH says that is indeed the case. I bet the neighboring small state that prides itself on "following the science" will not...but I'd love to be wrong.

I saw for colleges in CT they require weekly covid testing...even if you have been vaccinated.

2Planker

Yeah, so true.

I participate in some other message boards that have midwestern members. When the pandemic started, you couldn't convince them for al the money in the world that they should learn from we folks on the coasts ad take this seriously....then they blew up this winter...

Frustrating.

I wonder if vaccinated people will get exempted from quarantine after crossing state lines
YES - NH has already waived the quarantine requirement for people who have been fully vaccinated. It is effective 15 days after 2nd dose

tnt1234

I believe NH says that is indeed the case. I bet the neighboring small state that prides itself on "following the science" will not...but I'd love to be wrong.

I saw for colleges in CT they require weekly covid testing...even if you have been vaccinated.
I think there is still some uncertainty regarding your ability to transmit the virus after vaccination. IOW, you are vaccinated. You still might be able to contract and transmit Covid. But you just won't get very sick because you have developed the antibodies to keep the infection at bay.

But I'm not certain about this.

tnt1234

Oh that article above clarifies it - since you are unlikely to develop symptoms, you are unlikely to spread it....cool!

zoomzoom

one in twenty can still get covid after vaccination, how long the vaccination offers some protection is unknown, and a reduction transmission rate is unknown but hoped for. vt has the lowest per capita rate of cases during this pandemic and will continue to be the case as the gov and dr levine follow the science. testing is free and easily available, typically an appointment can be had in a day or two. when i'm out and about i see 100% mask usage and physical distancing is the norm. have completed my vaxx protocol and will continue my safe practices until the numbers show otherwise.

all this under a republican gov who hasn't politicized the virus. easy-peasy.

we haven't been out to dinner in over a year, and the snowshoes and crampons are getting quite a bit of use.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...keeps-cases-lowest-in-u-s-throughout-pandemic

drjeff

one in twenty can still get covid after vaccination, how long the vaccination offers some protection is unknown, and a reduction transmission rate is unknown but hoped for. vt has the lowest per capita rate of cases during this pandemic and will continue to be the case as the gov and dr levine follow the science. testing is free and easily available, typically an appointment can be had in a day or two. when i'm out and about i see 100% mask usage and physical distancing is the norm. have completed my vaxx protocol and will continue my safe practices until the numbers show otherwise.

all this under a republican gov who hasn't politicized the virus. easy-peasy.

we haven't been out to dinner in over a year, and the snowshoes and crampons are getting quite a bit of use.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...keeps-cases-lowest-in-u-s-throughout-pandemic

So, since 1 in 20 can get the virus post vaccine (or with some vaccines, say 1 in 3), how long do we keep things restricted for?

Since the reality is that in 20 years, COVID 19 will still be around in the population and there will be a small number of people passing away from it still. Just like is the case with the H1N1 virus that made its way across the world around a decade or so ago.

Heck, if you want to look at the "common flu" and it's mortality rates, the common flu is more lethal to the very young than COVID 19 is (similar in the elderly population), so do we now start shutting down society when the common flu likely returns in a year or 2 when the travel that spreads is begins again?

Puck it

So, since 1 in 20 can get the virus post vaccine (or with some vaccines, say 1 in 3), how long do we keep things restricted for?

Since the reality is that in 20 years, COVID 19 will still be around in the population and there will be a small number of people passing away from it still. Just like is the case with the H1N1 virus that made its way across the world around a decade or so ago.

Heck, if you want to look at the "common flu" and it's mortality rates, the common flu is more lethal to the very young than COVID 19 is (similar in the elderly population), so do we now start shutting down society when the common flu likely returns in a year or 2 when the travel that spreads is begins again?
Good post. But the armchair virologists will no doubt have a reason to. Wait for it.

ss20

1000% agree again Dr. Jeff. We have to stop restrictions and get back to normal at some point, and live with the fact that this thing will never go away. The vaccines are 95% effective...either we live with that risk or wear masks and socially distance forever.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but I do believe there are some people in the media, government, and business that want this to go one forever. The media wants bold, scary headlines so they get clicks. There's a few politicians who want to be the first to report zero Covid cases in their jurisdiction, no matter the consequences. And if I made N95 masks or was a Zoom executive you can damn sure bet I'd be lobbying a few congressmen/governors to keep things shutdown and restrictions in place. And I think there is a small percentage of the population so scared of Covid they're going to live like this for years- even if we get to a point where there's a single-digit number of new cases a day....which there probably will be for the indefinite future once Covid is "defeated" in a rational person's eyes.

Puck it

1000% agree again Dr. Jeff. We have to stop restrictions and get back to normal at some point, and live with the fact that this thing will never go away. The vaccines are 95% effective...either we live with that risk or wear masks and socially distance forever.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but I do believe there are some people in the media, government, and business that want this to go one forever. The media wants bold, scary headlines so they get clicks. There's a few politicians who want to be the first to report zero Covid cases in their jurisdiction, no matter the consequences. And if I made N95 masks or was a Zoom executive you can damn sure bet I'd be lobbying a few congressmen/governors to keep things shutdown and restrictions in place. And I think there is a small percentage of the population so scared of Covid they're going to live like this for years- even if we get to a point where there's a single-digit number of new cases a day....which there probably will be for the indefinite future once Covid is "defeated" in a rational person's eyes.
Now you are making sense. We can't have that. Follow the science, which is not always exact.

kbroderick

I'd suggest that "until everyone who wants to get vaccinated can" is a reasonable point to maintain other mitigation measures, until or unless we learn otherwise from analysis between now and then.

None of the mitigation measures used during the pandemic (with the possible exception of a full, military-enforced lockdown) are completely effective. Given that, we're layering multiple, somewhat-effective measures on top of each other to get a greater combined effectiveness. And yes, we're unlikely to ever eliminate the virus from circulation, but if we can reduce its ability to spread enough, we can reduce the risk involved in personal contact, even without masks and social distancing.

My guess is that by late fall, the combination of vaccinations and reduced spread due to more outdoor activities over the summer will reduce the risk of going back to normal to a level most folks find acceptable. As with certain other diseases (e.g. measles), I wouldn't be shocked if the occasional outbreak resulted in localized business closings and possibly public-health-related restrictions in the future.

urungus

YES - NH has already waived the quarantine requirement for people who have been fully vaccinated. It is effective 15 days after 2nd dose

Cool, but at this point Massachusetts still requires quarantining for 14 days after returning. Still there is light at the end of the tunnel...

abc

Flu vaccine is only 60% effective. So my guess is when 60% of the population gets the OPPORTUNITY of vaccination, we'll lift the restriction?

Alternatively, we "open up" when the daily hospitalization rate of Covid is at the same level as flu? (and have localized lock down and/or quarantine when an outbreak happens in one area)

drjeff

So CDC has just Updated their position;

NO Quarantine necessary for those exposed to Covis AFTER being "fully Vaccinated". Fully means 15 days after 2nd dose.

CDC: Fully vaccinated people don't need to quarantine if exposed to Covid (nbcnews.com)

Now we all just have to remember that state guidance may not always follow what the CDC guidance says..... Since that state science must be better than the CDC's science even though they all say to follow the science... :dontknow: :dontknow::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ss20

I remember when VT spent the $$$ to put up hundreds of the permanent quarantine signs and I got tonnnnnns of crap for saying this...but I still believe they're making a statement and plan to require a quarantine for a long, long time. Like after the rest of the world has gone "back to normal".

dblskifanatic

I remember when VT spent the $$$ to put up hundreds of the permanent quarantine signs and I got tonnnnnns of crap for saying this...but I still believe they're making a statement and plan to require a quarantine for a long, long time. Like after the rest of the world has gone "back to normal".

That may be the case for many people and crowding events as well.

zoomzoom

wow, so many snarky comments from a "dr", your unprofessionalism is telling. time for you to review and start complying with the "Medical Code of Ethics", specifically Section 8.12