• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does it always piss hot rain right before or on Christmas in eastern ski country or does if just seem that way?

thetrailboss

Staff member
And its why I like Alta...they hopefully will never sell out to this corp BS.
Well, they have. They are not the "common man's" area anymore. Very expensive tickets now. Flashy new website. New addition on Alf's. So far I have had a good experience this year. They are open and we can ski there when we want. Some weird things with COVID such as the Albion Base Lodge sitting empty because it is only for dining patrons only (the vendor is a real jerk).

It's just that their owners don't make stupid decisions like John Cumming does. If Killington is a lesson, then he will get bored, or realize that he doesn't know what he is doing, and move on leaving a qualified manager to run the place. Right now he is the one driving people nuts.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes....hence I don't really get the big deal. Major loophole in the Powdr parking reservations but makes it soooo easy to get around if you're willing to be a tad creative.

I'm prepared to take the bus from the Killington park n ride up to K1 if I can't get a parking reservation this spring (when I start skiing weekends).
Killington, at last check, did have availability for parking this week.

Bus is an option, but not feasible with a kid her gear.

Moot though because, as I had figured and hoped, things eventually work out. After feedback, they opened up more dates today and I was able to secure my share for when I want. I also have found that usually "day before" or "day of" reservations do open up. It is new and takes getting used to, but what I have done the last few days is to check the parking inventory when I am checking the snow report or looking at pictures on their site. I just add it to my routine now. But having access to Alta and Brighton (Twilight Pass) gives me options. I just love the freedom to go when I want when I want.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Wow. That sucks. As to us in the west, look at that huge high pressure parked right over Colorado.

For those skiing the next week or so in Utah, they will be pretty disappointed. There is hope we get something today, but we are running behind and everyday is another day it does not snow.

drjeff

If you want to try and put lipstick on a pig, maybe this is mother natures way of preventing many a ski resort from becoming the epi-center of a super spreader event over Christmas Week, as that deluge will certainly keep some of the day tripping masses away and that high locked in over the Rockies will likely have the same effect over the powder seeking day trippers in that area as well. (Yup, that's a HUGE stretch on my part there!!!!!!)

kingslug

So who's going to ski in the rain Thursday...me...then whos going to ski on the glaciers? Not me...I'll take mush over titanium.
Hunter is booked up 26 to 31st...should be interesting...

Last edited:

dblskifanatic

For the past 8 years we have skied on Christmas eve Christmas day and New Years Day. Many times we felt like we had the place to ourselves. In New England it seems like a roll of the dice. Some years we were ok other years we were skiing boiler plate. Overall, those were the best days during that period due to limited people.

NYDB

If you want to try and put lipstick on a pig, maybe this is mother natures way of preventing many a ski resort from becoming the epi-center of a super spreader event over Christmas Week, as that deluge will certainly keep some of the day tripping masses away and that high locked in over the Rockies will likely have the same effect over the powder seeking day trippers in that area as well. (Yup, that's a HUGE stretch on my part there!!!!!!)
I look at it having the reverse effect.

The people will be up there no matter what, but the conditions (frigid and boilerplate) won't warrant spending a lot of time on the slopes at least until the 29th, Although by Sunday the 27th the major snowmaking players may be ok depending on how hard they go at it (which should be an all out blitz). Instead, people will be partying and congregating in groups inside trying to find stuff to do. Add booze and you get- Soupa Spreada!

Not too much to do outdoors when everything is an ice rink. Although I get a chance to see how my Never Summer East behaves on frozen granular.

mikec142

For the past 8 years we have skied on Christmas eve Christmas day and New Years Day. Many times we felt like we had the place to ourselves. In New England it seems like a roll of the dice. Some years we were ok other years we were skiing boiler plate. Overall, those were the best days during that period due to limited people.
Us too. Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and Super Bowl Sunday can be great ski days. 12/26 is usually good too because it's a travel day. People driving to the mountain after Christmas.

No one on the mountain. Conditions are usually a crapshoot.

Alas, not this year.

kingslug

Well..if they get 3 to 4 inches of rain..with melting snow..its going to flood the whole area..i remember when margretville got washed away

kingslug

me too...should be interesting?
Now..Thursday afternoon only..I don't want to be there Friday after it hits.

Last edited: