• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does it always piss hot rain right before or on Christmas in eastern ski country or does if just seem that way?

kingslug

And now it changed to 47 -28 with snow developing overnight. Still...going to be bullet proof. But....its only Monday..so it could change again. The early model I saw had a band of weather moving across the country with rain in front and snow on the backside. Who knows...

TeleBoomer

looks like thunderstorms on the way for most of ski country on Xmas.

Fuck you 2020!

Yes I know things could change and we'll probably get some snow on the backside.

Really disappointing and this might be the only window for the kids to ski this season with VTs travel restrictions unless they switch to full remote after new years (which I do not want).

So again, fuck you 2020!
Rain then a deep freeze. That’s why the NE produces America’s best alpine skiers.
looks like thunderstorms on the way for most of ski country on Xmas.

Fuck you 2020!

Yes I know things could change and we'll probably get some snow on the backside.

Really disappointing and this might be the only window for the kids to ski this season with VTs travel restrictions unless they switch to full remote after new years (which I do not want).

So again, fuck you 2020!
Polar vortex coming on XMas day and will bring the NE boilerplate. If we’re lucky, a little light dusting will hide the ice. That’s always fun...

abc

The temperature is conducive to snow making starting Saturday on

My pass is blackout between Christmas/New Year anyway. So plenty of time to wait for things to improve.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Pretty concerned about northern VT and northern NH. They got almost nothing from the big storm and what ever is on the ground will be gone. And no one really has snowmaking up there to recover like the mega-resorts Stratton, Mount Snow, SR, etc. Places south of Killington are still going to have a base.

It could be worse though. What's going to make a big difference is temps will plummet Christmas day as the lifts are closing. All grooming should be done after the snowpack sets with the cold temps. Still going to be horrible the 26th, but better than grooming while it's 40 degrees overnight with temps dropping below freezing early in the AM after most of the mountain has already been groomed.

Another saving grace for the smaller places who aren't open Christmas day....zero above-freezing grooms since they won't groom Christmas eve. Huge for snow preservation.

Forgive me for turd-polishing. This really sucks if you're skiing this weekend either way. I'll be out there on the ice skates with the rest of y'all.

kingslug

Everything sold out so I'm sitting this one out. I'll try what I did this Sunday at Hunter..See if something opens up Sunday morning.
Still can't believe Gore is sold out up to Jan 3.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Everything sold out so I'm sitting this one out. I'll try what I did this Sunday at Hunter..See if something opens up Sunday morning.
Still can't believe Gore is sold out up to Jan 3.
January 3rd? That's nothing. You can't get parking on a weekend at Snowbird until Late March.

ss20

This is nuts..but so is the whole world right now. Can you at least take the bus up?

Yes....hence I don't really get the big deal. Major loophole in the Powdr parking reservations but makes it soooo easy to get around if you're willing to be a tad creative.

I'm prepared to take the bus from the Killington park n ride up to K1 if I can't get a parking reservation this spring (when I start skiing weekends).

KustyTheKlown

i've never bothered to look for signage, is it legal to park on route 4 near the skyeship bottom? prob not. or any of the roads near the bear parking lot...

nhskier1969

Who would have thought that we would be skiing WROD over the holiday week. I don't even think 15/16 was this bad.

nhskier1969

Merry Christmas to all the New England ski resorts. Can't wait till Christmas eve.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 12.48.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-21 at 12.48.02 PM.png
    289.4 KB · Views: 9

ss20

i've never bothered to look for signage, is it legal to park on route 4 near the skyeship bottom? prob not. or any of the roads near the bear parking lot...
I wouldn't try any of that. Condo complexes are enforcing towing from what I've heard. Def think hopping on a shuttle is the best way to go. Also if K is sold out park at Pico and take the free shuttle to K.

KustyTheKlown

this past weekend pico was sold out and k wasn't. k released morning of tickets on Friday and Saturday, and i didn't check Sunday. pico did not.

ss20

Who would have thought that we would be skiing WROD over the holiday week. I don't even think 15/16 was this bad.
15/16 was 100x worse. Killington got 82" total that year. They're already at 76". I skied weekend before Xmas at Mount Snow that season they had one run on Carinthia, Cascade-Canyon, and Long John. This year even without the big storm they'd have much more open (they did upgrade the snowmaking system significantly since 2015 though).

But not even a remotely close comparison. That season had rain events like this every one-two weeks. I think the single at MRG ran roughly a dozen days that year.

KustyTheKlown

15/16 was the worst winter in my adult life, easy.

12/28-30 has potential but its still pretty far out. i made a catamount indy pass res for 12/29. figure i can knock out a day trip pretty easily. never been before. don't tell my girlfriend.

kingslug

I used to park the POS rental at the base and take the bus up all the time. Which wasn't fun when things bogged down and you were left standing on it for an hour.