• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does it always piss hot rain right before or on Christmas in eastern ski country or does if just seem that way?

snoseek

Id like to know what dispensaries ya'll are hitting!

Near 50 and an inch+ of rain w/ 60 mph wind will likely release carnage on the snowpack... Then who knows what's going to happen once it all flash freezes.... (as you can see my pessimism may be working! here).
I'm not looking so much at surface conditions for the next week but actual snowpack because eventually its gonna snow again and when that happens a good rockhard consolidated base would be preferable over bare ground. This doesnt look like a total reset and the window is short. yeah the skiing after is gonna be shit for a few days but many areas will do their thing and each day will get slightly more skiable. By Tuesday I'll give it a try maybe.

Edit I'm in NH so I buy my pot from a dealer. 200/oz and super high quality

NYDB

yea, maybe not wholesale destruction of snowpack but natural terrain and trees and anything ungroomed is gonna be a nope til the next snows, which don't seem on the horizon.
next big snow probably coming on MLK weekend. the writers are just mailing it in at this point.

Last edited:

GregoryIsaacs

I'm not looking so much at surface conditions for the next week but actual snowpack because eventually its gonna snow again and when that happens a good rockhard consolidated base would be preferable over bare ground. This doesnt look like a total reset and the window is short. yeah the skiing after is gonna be shit for a few days but many areas will do their thing and each day will get slightly more skiable. By Tuesday I'll give it a try maybe.

Edit I'm in NH so I buy my pot from a dealer. 200/oz and super high quality
Unfortunately we will all have to sit and watch. Hoping you're right but expecting the worst.

Good to know that the MA dispensaries (medical at least) have officially become more economical than the black market dealers... $190 an ounce for 27% TAC, and that is tested TAC in a lab, not some dudes nose. Granted Maine has us both beat on price and quality.

KustyTheKlown

MA dispensaries have gotten impressively competitive compared to how its been the past two years. love to see it.

ThatGuy

All about them terps TAC% is just a number.
Mass dispos are hit or miss imo Maine is superior, Berkshire Roots has best flower in Mass though.
I just grow my own so I can avoid that nonsense.
F5F6BAFD-97DA-43A3-8E41-328EFC99D3B8.jpeg
My peasant Epic Pass is blacked out next week so I’ll use an Indy day or two if things start to look up.

Kingslug20

SB is not grooming all the whales they made..should preserve some...under a nice crust...like a pot pie..

skiur

New York's First dispensary opens on December 29th, not that it matters to me, I've been growing my own for the last 15 years, and you have been able to walk into a store and buy weed (technically illegally) in the city for over a year now.

jimmywilson69

I hope the front end snow delivers up north like it did in south central PA. We got 3" and was only forecast for coating to an inch.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

yea, maybe not wholesale destruction of snowpack but natural terrain and trees and anything ungroomed is gonna be a nope til the next snows, which don't seem on the horizon. I'm sticking with tremblant, crowds be damned. get there early, park on the north side, take a long European style lunch if necessary, ski heavily from 1:30-4 after the place has quieted. whatevs
I'm thinking Okemo could be one of the places that survives the best as they are equipped to groom aggressively. Planning on skiing Xmas there. And yeah using the bubble lifts as.it will be cold and minimal crowds on 25th.

26th I am considering Snow but might try West to get less crowds.

raisingarizona

All about them terps TAC% is just a number.
Mass dispos are hit or miss imo Maine is superior, Berkshire Roots has best flower in Mass though.
I just grow my own so I can avoid that nonsense.
View attachment 55475
My peasant Epic Pass is blacked out next week so I’ll use an Indy day or two if things start to look up.
I can smell this photo, it's very nice! :D

Kingslug20

Looks like tremblant is getting all snow..27 inches of it...
Guess I'll be going up there a few weekends until we are back to norm...

Mum skier

I'm thinking Okemo could be one of the places that survives the best as they are equipped to groom aggressively. Planning on skiing Xmas there. And yeah using the bubble lifts as.it will be cold and minimal crowds on 25th.

26th I am considering Snow but might try West to get less crowds.
We will be in Okemo for Christmas as well. Ice and low temperature combined wiht Christmas Day should be quiet. Can‘t cancel, kids have school so can only ski holidays and weekend. So if the weathers bad we just suck it up and ski. Rather bad weather/conditions and no lines to great conditions stood in lines all day. See you there! I’m the old slow one……

drjeff

Rum or Whiskey ?
Bourbon was always (and still is) my father in-laws Egg Nog go to mixer!

His neighborhood annual Holiday Parties are legendary for is "adult" Egg Nog bowl which over the almost 30yrs I now have been going to them have "evolved" from a say 30% Bourbon/70% Egg nog ratio back in the 90's to a now 70% Bourbon (E.H. Taylor small batch this year!) to 30% lactaid (since lactose tolerance issues can become a real thing as we age 🤣🤣) Egg nog now! 😁😁

Mainer

Just pissing rain in the mwv. My driveway has a couple inches standing water. Probably blowing 30

• Sad
Reactions: Edd

KustyTheKlown

Hard to find reliable overnight totals for Tremblant - their reporting stinks. Weather.com said they got 50cm last night. Saint saveur (lower and south) reported 20 cm. So let’s say 30 cm.

Tremblant is closed today due to heavy snowfall and wind. The gfs has them in snow for the next 60 hours.

Wish I could be there tmrw but will be content to descend upon it with the hordes on Tuesday.

Hello from Charlotte NC where the temp is 28 dropping to 11 by tonight. Girlfriends family is afraid to go outside lol