• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does it always piss hot rain right before or on Christmas in eastern ski country or does if just seem that way?

KustyTheKlown

I have to decide between Tremblant or mostly Sunday river (basing in Gorham) or mostly sugarloaf (basing in carrabasset valley) for 27-31, before 4 pm tmrw. Still think Tremblant is my move

thebigo

Good report out of SR, honest and informative:​

December 23, 2022 | 3:38 PM

Afternoon Update

Well, we gave it the ol' college try. It definitely wasn't a beautiful day on the slopes by any means, but all credit goes to our entire operations team for keeping lifts spinning throughout the day.

The saving grace of this storm was the 4-6" of new snow that accumulated before the changeover to rain. This layer of snow acts as a protective layer over our existing base, soaking up the rain that we've gotten throughout the day, and providing the groomers with a layer of frozen precipitation to work with. The importance of this cannot be understated, and will dramatically improve the work that our grooming team will be able to accomplish this evening.

Speaking of the grooming team, here's what they'll be up to. The cats will stay parked until roughly midnight, which will allow temps to crash, and the surface layer of our base to freeze. Once this happens, it will be all hands on deck, with machines working throughout the night to churn up the top layer and press out the perfect corduroy you've come to expect. Timing is everything with an operation like this, as starting too early will simply result in the groomers work refreezing into a solid surface.

Another silver lining to this storm is the bitter cold that will be drawn in behind it. This will provide our snowmakers with the ideal conditions to get our snowmaking system fired up. This means 10,000+ gallons per minute will be pumping across the mountain as soon as possible, with initial efforts focusing on resurfacing. Once sufficient snow has been made, we'll re-direct efforts into expansion mode, with the goal of opening additional terrain as soon as possible.

There's no real way around it. Even with the world-class team, top-of-the-line equipment, and planning that we have in place, tomorrow will be a challenging day. As I sit here writing this report at 3:15 PM on Friday, the word is that we are not expecting any delayed openings. However, waiting on information to come in in the early hours tomorrow will be paramount to our communication efforts in the morning, as these plans can, and will, change depending on what our operators find on the hill. Rest assured, every one of us here at Sunday River is committed to turning these lemons into lemonade, and making sure that our conditions for the holiday week are the best in New England.

As always, keep your eyes on the mountain report for all of the most up-to-date information on the conditions outside, and we'll talk to you tomorrow morning.

-Team Snow

ThatGuy

I have to decide between Tremblant or mostly Sunday river (basing in Gorham) or mostly sugarloaf (basing in carrabasset valley) for 27-31, before 4 pm tmrw. Still think Tremblant is my move
Tremblant 100%
Even if its packed there the snow will be way better and the woods are in play.

drjeff

Cinnamon
And Tremblant...
So my father in-law, at 86, who is a guest at my house starting tomorrow for 3 days is a nutmeg, and more Bourbon (good ol' Jack Daniel's - yes I know it's technically a Tennessee whisky and not a "Bourbon" but at 86 and a GREAT grandfather to my kids I don't argue semantics!) in his Egg Nog! Got a gallon of Hood Golden Egg Nog and an almost full handle of JD and a full container of McCormick's nutmeg for him the next few days! 👍👍

del.hess.1

Stowe is out of power and from what i hear they may not even be up and running by christmas day. this from someone in the area who is helping fix the problems. i might hear more later this morning on the situation, that was the word i heard last night.

from the Stowe.com:

Friday, December 23 at 1:30 PM

Please Note- Due to inclement weather including high winds, heavy rain to flash freeze, and widespread power outages including here at the resort, Stowe Mountain Resort is closed for the day and we do not have an estimated opening time for tomorrow. Our opening will be delayed tomorrow, even if power is restored. The Snow Report and Snow Phone are expected to be updated around 8 AM with the latest information. Please check back prior to arriving at the resort.

Last edited:

Kingslug20

So my father in-law, at 86, who is a guest at my house starting tomorrow for 3 days is a nutmeg, and more Bourbon (good ol' Jack Daniel's - yes I know it's technically a Tennessee whisky and not a "Bourbon" but at 86 and a GREAT grandfather to my kids I don't argue semantics!) in his Egg Nog! Got a gallon of Hood Golden Egg Nog and an almost full handle of JD and a full container of McCormick's nutmeg for him the next few days! 👍👍
Going to need it...25 below windchill out there...

SnowRock

Stowe is out of power and from what i hear they may not even be up and running by christmas day. this from someone in the area who is helping fix the problems. i might hear more later this morning on the situation, that was the word i heard last night.

from the Stowe.com:

Friday, December 23 at 1:30 PM

Please Note- Due to inclement weather including high winds, heavy rain to flash freeze, and widespread power outages including here at the resort, Stowe Mountain Resort is closed for the day and we do not have an estimated opening time for tomorrow. Our opening will be delayed tomorrow, even if power is restored. The Snow Report and Snow Phone are expected to be updated around 8 AM with the latest information. Please check back prior to arriving at the resort.
Yeah a friend said from the Luce hill fork up was all still without power last night. In more promising news he also estimated about 6 inches down in the village which would bode well for the mountain.

Edd

No power at Gunstock now. The plan was to open back up after closing yesterday but…

Kingslug20

89 has a travel advisory...as in don't go on it until later...black ice and blowing snow.
Windchill at 25 below at Stowe...
Sounds like an egg nog day...
Sunday looking better...

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
It's interesting: Something happens twice in a row and it becomes "forever"! I checked Xmas weather in Manchester , NH going back 10 years. Only 3 of the last 10 years had significant rain on Xmas day, but 2 of the three were 2020 and 2021.

Kingslug20

It's getting worse. Getting warmer up here...we are all putting extra AC in our houses for summer heat waves...
But it's 4 degrees now....

del.hess.1

Green mountain is showing Stowe has power. Anybody have any idea how much snow they got last night?
a couple inches of nice fresh snow after the rain here in Danville. i'm sure it's more up at Stowe

cdskier

Green mountain is showing Stowe has power. Anybody have any idea how much snow they got last night?

Doesn't the town of Stowe have their own power company and aren't part of GMP territory? (It looks like GMP may cover a very small handful of people on the Stowe/Waterbury border...right now GMP says 62% of their Stowe customers are without power...representing only 13 customers without power).