• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Does Mad River Scare You a Little? NO!

xwhaler

Kinsman is pretty tame compared to a lot at MRG. As a general rule the lines are tighter and steeper at MRG.

Tramline doesn't really have comparable terrain at MRG.

There's plenty of places in the east with stuff as challenging as MRG, but no where that has as high a percentage of such terrain.

Agreed. Go off map at MRG and u can find yourself on some super challenging terrain. Assuming you ski the ungroomed at MRG there is no let up, no bail out, and your legs get trashed much quicker than other mtns.

AdironRider

So, this was because you were on a board, just to be clear? If he threatened that before the sorority letter, the man was ahead of his time.

Agreed. Go off map at MRG and u can find yourself on some super challenging terrain. Assuming you ski the ungroomed at MRG there is no let up, no bail out, and your legs get trashed much quicker than other mtns.

This can be said for any mountain pretty much anywhere.

Oh off the map their is some amazing stuff. No shit, its a mountain, with snow on it. You are pretty much guaranteed to be correct anywhere (well lets exclude Bretton Woods cause that place is flat as a pancake).

The only difference is you don't have a bunch of losers giving you reach arounds and preaching vibe. Again the vibe there IME, is grizzly old telemarkers calling people ****s in front of children. To each their own.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Oh off the map their is some amazing stuff. No shit, its a mountain, with snow on it. You are pretty much guaranteed to be correct anywhere (well lets exclude Bretton Woods cause that place is flat as a pancake).

The only difference is you don't have a bunch of losers giving you reach arounds and preaching vibe. Again the vibe there IME, is grizzly old telemarkers calling people ****s in front of children. To each their own.

The grizzly old telemarkers isn't the point and for the record it sounds like if anyone could use a reach around it's you. Sheesh

The point is you made a determination of what the terrain is like there based off one run. That's just a foolish statement. The fact is that anyone who has spent significant time skiing around the Northeast and at MRG knows it's reputation as the most humbling mountain in the east is warranted. Yes they groom a few things, but it's not typically very compelling terrain to take a break from the challenging stuff. At Cannon I might take a run down Ravine to chill for a run or at Sugarbush maybe I take a spin down Jester. MRG that doesn't happen. Every time I have skied there I leave picking bark out of my teeth and feeling like I went 15 rounds.

Is MRG your beloved Jackson Hole ? No and nowhere is in the east to test your apparently ungodly skills on a snowboard. It is however worthy of its reputation.

I wish you could ride it to see for yourself. As mentioned prior I think the co-op members are dicks for maintaining their position.

AdironRider

So considering MRG is putting out a video stating they aren't a fall you die hill, I find it amusing you are all rushing to defend that honor. It was the whole point of the thread.

Im not basing this on living here in Jackson, I obviously made that choice for a reason, but to surmise that MRG is magically better than every other mountain on the East Coast is laughable, especially if you have to resort to "oh well off the map". Sure I totally believe you because that exists everywhere.

These threads sure are predictable. We just need DMC equating it to bigotry and we have checked all the boxes!

deadheadskier

Staff member
So considering MRG is putting out a video stating they aren't a fall you die hill, I find it amusing you are all rushing to defend that honor. It was the whole point of the thread.

Im not basing this on living here in Jackson, I obviously made that choice for a reason, but to surmise that MRG is magically better than every other mountain on the East Coast is laughable, especially if you have to resort to "oh well off the map". Sure I totally believe you because that exists everywhere.

These threads sure are predictable. We just need DMC equating it to bigotry and we have checked all the boxes!

well, your contributions have certainly been predictable that's for sure.

Savemeasammy

MRG is lame and it's terrain is well suited for sissies.

Nothing to see here. Carry on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xwhaler

I've sampled the off map at the majority of the mtns in my signature and I can say with confidence that off map at MRG is a step above other areas. Keep in mind when I say off map, I mean accessed from the main trails/glades.....not hiking or ever taking off the skis.
It may not be Corbets pee your pants crazy but as far as EC goes there is stuff at MRG that is no joke.

Brad J

So there are magically 10x better lines at MRG compared to stuff you can find at other EC hills? Doubtful.

My overall point is just like the OP's vid, its not some expert only if you dare type place. Tramline at Cannon or Kinsman is probably much rowdier than most of MRG's terrain.

I am confused , Have you skied at Mad River more than one run? , I think if you spent some time there you would walk away with a much different attitude. I spent 10 years going there in the mid 80'5 to mid 90's and went back after 18 years this year for 1 day and I can say IMHO that its a special place. Please give it a try over a period of days then tell us how the area felt to you.

Scruffy

The thing to note here, is that the concept of "off map lines" at MRG has been commonplace for years. Unlike other EC ski areas, MRG has had an open woods policy for as long as I can remember. It's only recently that other areas have opened up their woods. So, when you talk about the more challenging terrain at MRG, you need need to take into consideration that the off map stuff is not some secret stash stuff, but the everyday lines skied there by everyone who as spent any time there.

deadheadskier

Staff member
When did Paradise officially go on the map? Mid 90s? I distinctly remember an article in either a ski magazine, NY Times, some publication in the early 90s about the shush shush hush hush, Paradise at MRG when it wasn't on the map. It was billed as this mythical expert terrain that put everything else in the east to shame. When you read the article you thought the "waterfall" entering it was a 15 foot mandatory air.

At the time I was an Okemo skier except for 5-6 days a year at Killington. I had never skied north of there in VT until I moved to Stowe in the fall of 95. Me and my buddies would try and ski off map trees at Okemo, but would end up just bush whacking much of the time. For the most part, glade skiing were cut trails only. It was a real eye opener moving to Stowe and being able to ski pretty much anywhere. Skied MRG for the first time that winter too. Kicked the crap out of me. Still does. Plenty of drops on that mountain I simply will not do.

manhattanskier

Website
www.patriotbrass.org
MRG has unique lines that you can not find anywhere else because there are only skiers. The moguls are super tight and lots of fun, that is why I think this one place should be skiers only. Anyone who thinks they can tell if a person is going to be a dick because they snowboard needs to take a serious look at their life.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

skiur

I am confused , Have you skied at Mad River more than one run? , I think if you spent some time there you would walk away with a much different attitude. I spent 10 years going there in the mid 80'5 to mid 90's and went back after 18 years this year for 1 day and I can say IMHO that its a special place. Please give it a try over a period of days then tell us how the area felt to you.

How can he when he boards? They are assholes at MRG and dont allow boarders.

deadheadskier

Staff member
MRG has unique lines that you can not find anywhere else because there are only skiers. The moguls are super tight and lots of fun, that is why I think this one place should be skiers only.

I'm still waiting to hear how much worse the skiing was there from 86-92 when they allowed snowboarders. I've never heard anyone talk of that. The only reason I'm told snowboarders were kicked out was because of a personal spat between Betsy and a few of them.

The moguls are no tighter/better at MRG than they are at Sugarbush. Fact. The founder of mogulskiing.net would attest to that.

twinplanx

MRG are not the "assholes" in this equation...
Not to say ALL knuckle dragers are dicks. Just the ones who think the Glen should bow to there desire.

deadheadskier

Staff member
We'll have to disagree. I think if you don't want to share the slopes with snowboarders, you're a dick. They are after the same experience skiers are.

twinplanx

There are plenty of other places to do that. If there was a snowboard only area, I wouldn't berate them. I'd strap one on ;-) If you can't beat'em, join'em.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
We'll have to disagree. I think if you don't want to share the slopes with snowboarders, you're a dick. They are after the same experience skiers are.
I guess I'm a dick!! (I've been called worse).

I have no issue with snowboarders but I love MRG and Alta just the way they are and do not want to see them changed at all!