• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Eclipse PSA

parahelia

Sugarloaf isn’t closing lifts - music at the Beach and Bullwinkles through the eclipse. Superquad closes at the usual 420. Can’t wait.

PAabe

I surprised so many places are shutting lifts down and sweeping trails - just for under 3 minutes of relative darkness where everyone will be stopped taking in the view anyway. Top of the mountain would seem to be the prime viewing location to watch the approaching shadows but not a possibility at places where they are sweeping everybody off the mountain

Zermatt

I surprised so many places are shutting lifts down and sweeping trails - just for under 3 minutes of relative darkness where everyone will be stopped taking in the view anyway. Top of the mountain would seem to be the prime viewing location to watch the approaching shadows but not a possibility at places where they are sweeping everybody off the mountain
It’s the hour plus of reduced solar radiation before the eclipse that will freeze everything they are worried about. Not 3 minutes of dusk.

AdironRider

I suspect they are more so worried about having the entire mountaintop covered in visitors until well after closing times than any sort of “freeze” event.

This is east coast skiing after all, flash freezes are a regular occurrence.

raisingarizona

Just fly them in up and down with helicopters. Actually scratch that idea, it could be much, MUCH worse.

chuckstah

Thinking maybe Bolton for the eclipse. They're open 10-6, with a stoppage for the eclipse. Sounds just about right. Parking could be a concern if the weather cooperates and the crowds materialize, but arrive early I guess.... Indy days are unused. I was thinking Jay, but they're closing early, not really what I'm looking for. Decisions....and weather dependent of course.

soposkier

Very interested to see how the crowds headed north disperse thru northern New England.

urungus

How long do you think the post-eclipse drive down 91 from Jay Peak to Vermont/Mass border will take (usually 3 hours) … over on r/icecoast they are predicting 12+ hours. Also how many shortcut-seekers will need to get towed out of Roxbury Gap ?

drjeff

How long do you think the post-eclipse drive down 91 from Jay Peak to Vermont/Mass border will take (usually 3 hours) … over on r/icecoast they are predicting 12+ hours. Also how many shortcut-seekers will need to get towed out of Roxbury Gap ?
I figure that if my drive from Mount Snow to Stowe is usually 2:45, that my return trip on Monday, I'm hoping will "only" be 5ish hrs.

The NCAA National chanpionship game, of which I hope my UCONN Huskies will be playing in that night, may seriously cause my wife and I (also a UCONN professional school alum) to alter our plans as to how far North in VT we go on Monday... ;)

AdironRider

I think the real clusterfuck is going to be getting from Jay to the highway. Once on 91 I'm thinking that, other than the 93s and 89s exits, it should be relatively smooth.