• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Elans are SOLD: More conversation about skis

thetrailboss

Staff member
Good deal for someone who needs them. I'd be interested, but Ms. Trailboss would kill me if I had ANOTHER pair of skis :wink:

bvibert

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
Good deal for someone who needs them. I'd be interested, but Ms. Trailboss would kill me if I had ANOTHER pair of skis :wink:

Hmmm... I wonder if they'd be any good for a big guy like me...

Steve, Why are you selling them?

thetrailboss

Staff member
bvibert said:
thetrailboss said:

Just from what I've seen about them online, a great advanced carver for groomed terrain and on-piste skiing. 168 would be a good length for me. I did not see the other dimensions...OK...112/67/100. What is the turning radius? Based upon what I could recall, bvibert, this could be a good candidate for you assuming you like only groomed stuff and carving. Skis are now getting shorter and wider. What length have shops been steering you towards?

bvibert

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
bvibert said:
thetrailboss said:

Just from what I've seen about them online, a great advanced carver for groomed terrain and on-piste skiing. 168 would be a good length for me. I did not see the other dimensions...OK...112/67/100. What is the turning radius? Based upon what I could recall, bvibert, this could be a good candidate for you assuming you like only groomed stuff and carving. Skis are now getting shorter and wider. What length have shops been steering you towards?

Haven't really been actively looking, I wanted to demo some skis first and money's an issue. The skis I've been using for the last two seasons are 177's and are pretty soft and flexy. I bet 168's might work...

bigbog

skis

Hi guys, sorry...have been busy offline. I was asked about the turn radius...and the Elan site doesn't have it...turn radius is a little bigger than a 168 slalom ski, but not by much...I think simply by the shovel being a bit softer than slalom skis...it takes another .5sec? to come around. At least that's my consistent, Adv-Intermediate opinion.
I demoed a Head ski back in February and loved it...as I was in the "leaning Towers from Hell"_boots, I didn't do a lot of skiing and thus didn't incur(sp?) any damage at all to them...and I have a hard time looking at them as rock skis...as I grabbed the Head ski off the web in one of those 50%_deals...will pick them up on Saturday. So the Elans are up forsale...I got them at a discount (from a shop guy on Epicski.com)...and there are just so many skis out there with good prices...it's not much sense(if one really wants to unload them) to dicker too high... Plus I'm feeling pretty good, am back working ~25hrs... :D
...AND I think they'd make a good woman's ski too....just an guess..

bvibert

Staff member
thetrailboss said:
168 would be a good length for me. I did not see the other dimensions...OK...112/67/100. What is the turning radius?
From what I could find online the turning radius for the 168 is 14.3m...

thetrailboss said:
Based upon what I could recall, bvibert, this could be a good candidate for you assuming you like only groomed stuff and carving. Skis are now getting shorter and wider. What length have shops been steering you towards?

I do tend to stick to the groomed stuff, but plan to try more bumps and stuff this coming season....

bvibert

Staff member
Re: skis

thetrailboss said:
bvibert said:
bigbog said:
...AND I think they'd make a good woman's ski too....just an guess..

That statement has me wondering why you'd say that?

Yeah, when I see this it makes me think that it is too soft... :idea:

Thats what I thought too, if anything I think I'd need something more on the stiff side. Most reviews I've found seem to indicate that they have decent stiffness...

thetrailboss

Staff member
bigbog--hope you are getting the railflex binding with your new HEAD skis. Great feature and I love my system.

JimG.

Staff member

bvibert said:
Thats what I thought too, if anything I think I'd need something more on the stiff side. Most reviews I've found seem to indicate that they have decent stiffness...

Not if you want to spend more time in the bumps B. You want something in the all mountain class, a tradeoff between carving, bumping, and powder.

Too stiff will not be fun in the bumps and will discourage you.

bvibert

Staff member

JimG. said:
bvibert said:

Not if you want to spend more time in the bumps B. You want something in the all mountain class, a tradeoff between carving, bumping, and powder.

Too stiff will not be fun in the bumps and will discourage you.

I think stiffness is a relative term, I weigh more than the average skier so I figured a "stiffer" ski wouldn't seem so stiff to me... Is my thinking flawed??

JimG.

Staff member

bvibert said:
I think stiffness is a relative term, I weigh more than the average skier so I figured a "stiffer" ski wouldn't seem so stiff to me... Is my thinking flawed??

This is why you need to demo skis. I understand your line of thinking, and to say it is flawed would be inaccurate. You're right in that stiffness is relative. However, even if a heavier skier feels that a stiffer carving ski isn't that stiff, it does not mean that a carving ski is a good bump ski for a heavier skier.

No matter what your weight is, you should buy a ski that is designed for the conditions you like, the conditions you mostly ski in, or want to learn to ski better. If you want to learn to bump better, you need a ski with some flex. Stiff is not good for bumping.

All mountain skis work best for those of us who like all conditions and would probably be best for you.

Greg

Staff member
I would think that you will like one of the Volkl 724 skis, B. The Pro is stiffer than the EXP but I would try them both. I've seen you ski and know you like to go fast at times so I think they may suit you. The EXP may flex enough given your weight to work well for you in the bumps too. As Jim said, demo. Butternut is going to hold a free demo day in December and I'd be glad to head up there with you.

bvibert

Staff member
Yeah I know I should demo, I really meant to last year but never got a chance. I'll definately try to make it to the free demo day at Butternut.