• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Feb 7 -9 Snow Forecasting (or) AlpineZone Summit Powder?

Cornhead

I'm all for an AZ Summit powder streak, the curse be damned, change of date, change of luck. Last year did not suck, can't wait to see what the weenies at TWC call this one. :D

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

catsup948

12z GFS has this storm coming more Monday into Tuesday. Potential seems greater for ski country than the midweek storm. Revisit on Friday.... nice week coming up!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

BenedictGomez

Unfortunately this Monday is a bust for NNE. But Wed and hopefully next weekend are still in play! :snow:

The 00z runs might be key to understand what's going on. I have a feeling that's what's going on is that maybe buoys are now getting "real" data fed into the model and that's why the 12z GFS and Canadian both are so drastically different and much slower. Just a guess though, would love to hear the thoughts of a professional met on this, because yesterday's runs compared to these 12z's couldnt be more different.

catsup948

Not looking good for Brackett Basin this year... :sadwalk:

Sugarloaf may do ok on Wednesday. Storm could come back nw a bit. 4 inches yesterday and 6 on Wednesday won't open Brackett Basin though. I will make for good skiing none the less.

GFS is showing an absolute BOMB for Sunday night. A storm of biblical proportions. (Ok not really, but it's huge. Hopefully it'll speed up for you guys)

Tin

Hope that is right for Sunday night, I'll sneak in an extra day at The Loaf or stop somewhere on the way home.

Weak -NAO is modeled to show up with the 9th system. If the models stay the course (they won't) and a block shows up, my god...

The granddaddy of this winter may be incoming.

catsup948

Is it still coming the 9th? I saw there were some changes in the timing on both the euro and gfs at 12z.

BenedictGomez

Supposedly the 00z GFS looks far more reasonable and quite good. I dont have access yet and am going to bed, but I'm looking forward to taking a peek at this in the morning.

catsup948

This storm needs to be shelved for a few days. Models are all over the place. It's to early to get too excited. Enjoy Wednesday!

BenedictGomez

Which seems to be trending southward again... :uzi:

That's not true. Dont know where you heard that, but the 00z didnt move south, certainly not substantially anyway.

Catskills and Berks are still in the jackpot zone according to the models. Not that that necessarily means anything (SEE: Today).

GFS
P1_GZ_D5_PN_066_0000.gif

Canuck
P6_GZ_D5_PN_066_0000.gif

NAM

P1_GZ_D5_PN_060_0000.gif

Smellytele

Well the jackpot zone the other day was further north per GFS. It had slid south somewhat and that is what they were actually saying on the weather this AM. For NH they said the highest amounts were going to be the southwest (Keene/Monadnock region) with lesser amounts the farther north you go.