• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Feb 7 -9 Snow Forecasting (or) AlpineZone Summit Powder?

BenedictGomez

This goes back to the irresponsible model sharing discussion.

I don't know where they hear it, but I've had multiple people in my office come up to me and say they heard 30"+ for Sun here in Jersey.

Same. I was at a Superbowl party and several people "heard" about a 2-foot storm.

What it shows me is how fast information can flow via social media, even if it's a lie.

dlague

Just read:

The Sunday to Monday storm could be the strongest of the winter, if it develops to its full potential. There is a chance the storm will pull cold air down at the last minute, resulting in all snow over southern New England as well.

BenedictGomez

Havent seen any models, but hearing chatter that hopes and dreams for this storm are apparently not going in the right direction? Sad face. :(

Still time for an about face....fingers crossed.

Tin

Looking much warmer for SNE for Sunday (some of the Berkshires could be above freezing) and more of a Sunday night to midday Monday.

skiberg

If its a coastal storm, which I believe it is, and its trending warmer, doesn't this usually mean the storm is hugging the coast more and if this is so, doesn't this mean jackpot?

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Interesting Weather.com put this in their article about the weekend storm.

As a general rule of thumb, be wary of any specificforecast graphic or article with explicit snow/ice totals beyond two or three days from anywebsite – including social media sites like Facebook, Google+ or Twitter – or TV broadcast.
Graphics like these are increasingly available on the internet, but they can be a source of misinformation, such as we've seen late last week regarding a potential storm late this week. Let's explain why this is often the case.

Wavewheeler

This goes back to the irresponsible model sharing discussion.

I don't know where they hear it, but I've had multiple people in my office come up to me and say they heard 30"+ for Sun here in Jersey. They were talking like it was a forecast. Goes to show you that no matter how many disclaimers and warnings you put up, what people interpret is completely different than what you say.

Agreed!

Attachments

• 1622002_206426816218879_132806737_n.jpg
    1622002_206426816218879_132806737_n.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 95

BenedictGomez

This is interesting. A little hype, but interesting nonetheless. Bastardi is big-time into weather analogues, often favoring them at least as much as models, and he noted this tonight.

Top is 00z GFS, bottom is blizzard of 1982.

1654525_10153875927010122_984292235_o.jpg

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Henry Margusity@HenryMargusity 8 mins Watch how the storm comes back on the models for Sunday. And that's not the last of this winter nonsense, a lot more storm to go!