• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Female All-Mountain Skis

Markus ur Alias

Newbie here. I have a pair of Volkl AC40 skis from a couple years back and love them to death. As I'm trying to get my girlfriend skiing more this year, I want to get her a pair for Christmas but money is tight. She's 5'4" and athletically built so I'm looking at 156 Volkl Tierras or Lunas. I had bid on some 2006 Attive AC3 Titaniums on eBay but missed them:-x. Bottom line, seems that I can get the Lunas for much less than the Tierras. I love my AC40s and they're top of the line but I'm an aggressive skier which my GF probably isn't. I'd love to get the Tierras but not sure if they're worth almost twice what the Lunas are. Thoughts? Thanks.

Trekchick

Welcome Marcus!

By your post, I'm assuming your GF is an intermediate.

The price difference between the two skis you're looking at is the difference between an intermediate ski and an advanced ski.

I have not demoed these particular skis, but I have skied a lot of Volkls.
They tend to have great edge grip and superior feedback, but they are also very technical to the category that they are designed for.

In other words, if she is an intermediate, getting her an advanced ski may be intimidating and won't help her embrace the sport.

Go for the luna, as you said, its a better bargain, then she can ski it until she's ready to sell and upgrade when she has the skills to rock the mountain on some more aggressive skis.