• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Foretrex 101

jstarks188

has anyone used this piece of equipment?
i use it primarily to keep track of mileage but to me it doesn't seem accurate maybe i'm doing something wrong.....any thoughts?
cya in the woods
jack

jstarks188

when the gps drops the signal,i don't think it's smart enough to realize i have been moving while it reestabilish's contact with the satelite
so i end up with shorter hiking time and distance.
i've checked it by simply using a watch and a trail guide....maybe i should stick to the old fashioned way
cya
jack

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
jstarks188 said:
when the gps drops the signal,i don't think it's smart enough to realize i have been moving while it reestabilish's contact with the satelite
so i end up with shorter hiking time and distance.
i've checked it by simply using a watch and a trail guide....maybe i should stick to the old fashioned way
cya
jack
That is a common problem. Some say you have a good chance of keeping a signal if you can find a way to attach the GPS to the top of your pack, in the open.

My dad has a GPS with a timer that keeps track of how long you've been walking. The problem is, it knows when to stop and start by tracking changes in position. If you lose signal, the timer stops. According to his GPS, we made it to treeline on the AirLine trail in a hair under 32 minutes. God, I wish I was that fast! 8)

I know people love 'em, but I just couldn't get into them, so I sold mine (an older Magellan 315). They're a neat gadget, but can sometimes be about as useless as an altimeter with a front moving in. On a hike up Huntington ravine many moons ago a friend brought his altimeter just for yucks. It worked pretty good until the weather started changing. As the barometric pressure changed, so did our elevation. At one point the altimeter was losing elevation while we were still climbing. IMHO map, guide, compass, and a watch are where it's at.