• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fraudulent Paypal Charge

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
On June 30th I recieved an email stating that a purchase of $516.11 USD = €401.00 EUR was made on eBay using my Paypal account, I didn't make this purchase. I called Paypal and my credit card company to get this straightened out. PayPal send me an affidavit to fill out swearing that I didn't make this purchase. I filled it out and mailed it in. Today I check my credit account and see that $501 was charged back by PayPal, so I call up to see what happened to the other $15. I was told that was lower due to the currency exchange rate, I told them I don't care about the exchange rate, I want a full refund, which they gave me.

My problem, they can't tell me how this happened.
  • No, I have not answered any phishing emails
  • I have not used Paypal in about a year.
  • When I used it, it was through eBay, which has this account tied to it, no need for me to type a password or Paypal username.
So now, how do I prevent this from happening in the future? I ask Paypal, they don't have an answer except to tell me not to:
  • Answer emails from Paypal
  • Give out my Paypal info
Stuff I haven't done. I have taken my credit card off of my Paypal account and am concerned about tying it back in with Paypal. Has anyone else had any experience with this? My rant for the day. :)

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
BeanoNYC said:
Wow! I have never had a problem with paypal. Maybe an inside job?

Yeah, that's my issue, someone got my account info, yet I haven't used it and sure haven't given out my info and Paypal isn't giving me any satisfactory answers. Anyway good to know you never had any issues, if I hear more of the same I may just chalk it up to a one time thing and start using it again.

thetrailboss

Staff member
andyzee said:
Yeah, that's my issue, someone got my account info, yet I haven't used it and sure haven't given out my info and Paypal isn't giving me any satisfactory answers. Anyway good to know you never had any issues, if I hear more of the same I may just chalk it up to a one time thing and start using it again.

I have had similar problems.

In December, "someone" walked into a Verizon store in Cambridge, MA and bought a new $367 phone. It showed up on my account. I fought with Verizon for six weeks over it. They claimed that it was a "mistake" and that it was supposed to be billed to another account...which was ONE digit different than mine. Oh yeah...your phone # is your account number :roll: What idiots! The best part was that someone at the store caught the error but still billed me anyway! They jerked around and gave me a credit....only after charging me for the phone.

And AT&T somehow thought I owed them money and sent the claim to a collection agency who reported the thing to the credit bureaus. When I checked my report, I called the collection agencies because I never started an account with AT&T. Three calls went unanswered...so I called in the big boys....the Vermont Attorney General's Office and volah...instant results....the collection agency called me back and apologized. They also deleted the item. "We don't know how this happened." :roll: OK.

So my advice is to:

1. Contact the NY State Attorney General's Office...you know....this guy:

spitzer_elliot.03.jpg

2. File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. They are AWESOME! Have helped me out so many times. In fact, they have a very timely article that was just posted on their site...you should read it.

3. Worst case, go to the FTC. They are very interested in these cases.

Good luck!

BeanoNYC

Let's face it Andy. Paypal is the easiest way to pay for things on ebay. Is one act of fraudulence that was remedied by Paypal worth canceling the account? I've had fraudulent charges to my checking card and Chase fixed it up right away. No harm, No foul.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
BeanoNYC said:
Let's face it Andy. Paypal is the easiest way to pay for things on ebay. Is one act of fraudulence that was remedied by Paypal worth canceling the account? I've had fraudulent charges to my checking card and Chase fixed it up right away. No harm, No foul.

Rich, you are correct, and I hate to give it up, just trying to find out if this is an isolated case or if others have had similiar experiences.

cbcbd

I'd change my Ebay and Paypal passwords. Also any other accounts that have the same password, like email accounts.

MikeTrainor

thetrailboss said:
And AT&T somehow thought I owed them money and sent the claim to a collection agency who reported the thing to the credit bureaus. When I checked my report, I called the collection agencies because I never started an account with AT&T. Three calls went unanswered...so I called in the big boys....the Vermont Attorney General's Office and volah...instant results....the collection agency called me back and apologized. They also deleted the item. "We don't know how this happened." :roll: OK.
Good luck!

Thats funny the same thing happened to me. I got a letter from a collection agency that I owed $411 to ATT Wireless. I had ATT wireless which was bought out by cingular 2 or 3 years ago. I have had the same cell phone service for 7 years and still have it to this day, have always paid and never had any problems. I call cingular and they say I own no money. Anyways in the end I had to appeal it through all 3 credit berueas to get it off my credit report. I still to this day have no idea what happened

skibum1321

I've never had any problems with Paypal. I would keep the credit card off of the account until the next time you need it though. There is no reason to put it back on until you actually use the account.

ctenidae

I would close both accounts and open new ones. No problem for paypal, but you will lose your feedback on eBay. At the very least, cancel the PayPal and open a new one. You can set it to make you enter information each time you do a transaction, which provides good protection, but is a hassle. The thing is, if someone got in once, they can get in again.

You may want to report it to your bank and have them issue you new cards. Better safe than sorry.

JimG.

Staff member
andyzee said:
Anyway good to know you never had any issues, if I hear more of the same I may just chalk it up to a one time thing and start using it again.

I wouldn't...but then again, I don't trust these types of transactions and don't use Paypal.

I'm always leery about giving out credit info of any kind, especially credit card account numbers. It would scare me that Paypal, who is supposed to be the expert on secure internet credit transactions, can't tell you what happened or what they will do to help you.

Close the account.

Greg

Staff member
andyzee said:
I have no problems money has been returned, just concerned about the use of Paypal in the future. That is good info TB, thanks.
Get yourself a new low available-credit credit card and link that to PayPay. Only use this new credit card for online purchases. It will be easier to track and if you have a problem in the future, it's easier to just cancel this credit card account vs. your primary one.