• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

God, it's warm!

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
I'm up here in Plymouth, VT, and my thermometer says it's 29 degrees at 8:15 AM. Supposed to be in the mid-thirties today, and sunny. Where's winter? We need some snow!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
cold

Not good. I'd just be happy with some COLD that stayed COLD. I think we need witches and warlocks instead of weatherbabes and weatherguys who look pretty. I want it colder than a witches _____. Only way to guarantee the base stays.

swade2469

Now if we could only get hot girls to like cold weather. Then we would be in business. There must be some reason they flock to Fla and Cali...hmmmmm

loafer89

It was 57F (normal high 39) at home yesterday, I came home from work and removed some of the Christmas decorations without a jacket on. :eek:

In an unrealated matter, I heard on the Weather Channel last night that Turin is suffering from a lack of snow with only 3 snowfalls so far this season, yikes.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
loafer89 said:
It was 57F (normal high 39) at home yesterday, I came home from work and removed some of the Christmas decorations without a jacket on. :eek:

In an unrealated matter, I heard on the Weather Channel last night that Turin is suffering from a lack of snow with only 3 snowfalls so far this season, yikes.

From what I recall of the 2nd Lake Placid olympics, they too had a dearth of snow. They made snow 7x24 and added water to the mix as well. Iciest ever. Racers loved it.
Skied Whiteface after the Olympics - most dangerous , scarey dagum skiing I'd ever experienced.

loafer89

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Hunter Mnt sent some snowmaking equiptment/crews to Witeface to help out with the snowmaking?

Europe is not big on snowmaking, so I do not know how well covered the slopes at Turin will be. I imagine the vital areas have snowmaking.

NYDrew

not only did they send snowmaking equipment. THEY SENT DUMP TRUCKS FILLED WITH SNOW THERE TOO.

I bet right about now the olympic comittee is wishing they gave NY the bid, we've already prooven ourselves in a pinch. (and we freaking deserved it, only other city I would have accepted would have been london)

loafer89

I think to be fair, they should have the winter games in the southern hemisphere as well. The trouble is who wants to watch winter games in July?

Sky

From Mt Washington's Observer notes:

The hopes for better winter conditions are fading quickly as we look at the long range computer models. A storm on Thursday will bring rain changing to snow to the summit. It is possible that a healthy amount of snow could fall on the back side of the storm system. However, after that, the entire East Coast will warm up (even at higher elevations). The storm track will shift to the west of New England, meaning rain in the valleys and repeated rain to snow events for the higher summits. This will keep our average temperature well above normal, and cut back on both the amount of new snow and the current snow pack! Unless something drastic happens to change this stagnant weather pattern, January 2006 will most assuredly goes down in the books as Juneuary!

:cry:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
huh?

I am probably heading to Loon on Wed. and will be on the slopes providing the precip is not liquid on my helmet.

I can find any kind of forecast I want for Wed. - PC, Rain, FRZ Rain, cloudy, depending on the media outlet I pick.

I guess I'll just have to wakeup in the AM and look out the window and decide. Any other suggestions for a reliable forecast?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Well this is mildly depressing, but nothing we can do about it so no sense in worrying.

Time to start looking at trainers and start riding my road bike indoors. Burn off all that energy in my legs.

I've had only a day to recover from Snow on Sunday and my legs already feel like tightly coiled springs.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
If this storm does not stay south (calling for up to 1.5 inches of rain)and there is no backlashing of snows it could spell real bad new for the resorts :cry: I hope things even out in Feb and March.

skibum1321

pepperdawg said:
In general, the next 10 to 15 days overall should be above normal in temperature and probably drier as a whole as well. <------grrrrrrrrrrr stupid Roemer
Well if it is going to be warmer than usual then I would prefer it to also be drier than usual. Warm with alot of precip would mean alot of r***.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
skibum1321 said:
pepperdawg said:
In general, the next 10 to 15 days overall should be above normal in temperature and probably drier as a whole as well. <------grrrrrrrrrrr stupid Roemer
Well if it is going to be warmer than usual then I would prefer it to also be drier than usual. Warm with alot of precip would mean alot of r***.

I'm glad you censored yourself there... I almost was very upset for a second or two. Must not think of the R word anymore.

awf170

Tim Kelly is forcasting snow for over 2,000 ft. Please hope he right. Come on elavation storm.... dump snow on cannon and wildcat...