• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Guess a ski area in three clues

WoodCore

Nordic Valley is the winner. Bonus points if you can provide the other names and the team who (supposedly) trained there.

The Austrians trained there before the SLC winter games. As far as the names: Nordic Valley, Skyline Base, Wolf Mountain and ?????. Not sure what the fourth name is.

Give me an hour or so and I'll post up the next one.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The Austrians trained there before the SLC winter games. As far as the names: Nordic Valley, Skyline Base, Wolf Mountain and ?????. Not sure what the fourth name is.

Give me an hour or so and I'll post up the next one.

You got them all. Very good! It was Nordic Valley (1), Wolf Mountain (2), Skyline Base (3), and back to Nordic Valley (4). Maybe three names, but technically four since the current entity is new.

WoodCore

Ok, here's the next one. Should be easy.

1) 2 of my lifts were first installs. One was first in the US and the other was first in the Northeast.

2) My summit was ski-able but not lift served for a lengthy amount of time.

3) The first trail cut was designed by a skiing legend who also designed another classic trail at another New England ski area.

xlr8r

Pico,

1. First T-Bar in the US on Little Pico, and first triple in New England on Gnomes Knoll
2. Originally only Little Pico was lift served, a lift to the Summit came later
3. Sunset Schuss designed by Charley Proctor was cut from the Summit, who also designed the Wildcat Trail on Wildcat.

WoodCore

Pico,

1. First T-Bar in the US on Little Pico, and first triple in New England on Gnomes Knoll
2. Originally only Little Pico was lift served, a lift to the Summit came later
3. Sunset Schuss designed by Charley Proctor was cut from the Summit, who also designed the Wildcat Trail on Wildcat.

Bingo!! Well Done!!

xlr8r

1. Skiing started here in the 1920's, but lift served skiing did not start until 1939.
2. I had a High Speed Quad removed which is now running at another ski area.
3. One of my lifts was the highest in elevation of its type in North America when it was built.

Mapnut

Aspen Mt.? The gondola might still be the highest gondola on the continent at 11,300 ft. Don't know about the removed HSQ.