• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Has anyone been to Okemo lately?

2knees

looks like they have at least two runs seeded that i could see from 103. Was wondering if anyone here has skied them lately and if it was worth a trip.

okemo jokes starting in 3......2....1......

Greg

Staff member
looks like they have at least two runs seeded that i could see from 103. Was wondering if anyone here has skied them lately and if it was worth a trip.

Funny. I was commenting to Jeff on the way to Killington that you must have been eying those runs on Monday.... :lol:

2knees

Funny. I was commenting to Jeff on the way to Killington that you must have been eying those runs on Monday.... :lol:

I always eye them on the way to killington. they look so nice. gets me all choked up inside.

gmcunni

I'll be there this weekend. i'll try to find them, attempt to ski them and take a picture or two for ya.

Gary

gmcunni

okemo jokes starting in 3......2....1......

Those aren't seeded bumps, they are the fat rich people from Connecticut who can't ski real mountains. They fallen, can't get up and were covered with snow by the excessive grooming that takes place @ Okemo.

Oh, wait, I'm from CT, not exactly skinny and going to Okemo this weekend.. Sadly, not rich so i don't fit the entire profile.

jaywbigred

Those aren't seeded bumps, they are the fat rich people from Connecticut who can't ski real mountains. They fallen, can't get up and were covered with snow by the excessive grooming that takes place @ Okemo.

Oh, wait, I'm from CT, not exactly skinny and going to Okemo this weekend.. Sadly, not rich so i don't fit the entire profile.

Say what you want, Okemo does seed the best bumps anywhere, and reliably so, imho.

gmcunni

Say what you want.

truth be told, Okemo is my favorite mountain. Every year when my wife asks me what i want for Christmas the answer is always "lift tickets to Okemo". I always have a good time when i'm there. This is my weekend to use my Christmas tickets so my son and I are headed up for a couple of days.

I don't need steep and deep to have a great time. I'm no Franz Klammer or Jonny Moseley. I'm a middle aged (ouch, that hurts to say) guy from CT who likes to ski. I've always wanted to be a great bump skier but i'm not. I've always wanted to do a 360 (we called them helicopters when i was learning to ski) but i can only manage a 180. Okemo has what i like. Groomers for me to feel like i can ski really well, some bumps where i can wear out my legs in short order, terrain park when i can fall on my face attemptign a table-top, woods where my kids + i can play around and I can get there in 3 hours from my house for day trips.

But don't tell anyone i like Okemo. If you say that here on AZ you get looked at funny. ;-)

BTW, I'm still hoping to nail a 360 soon!!

Now back to Okemo jokes.. did you hear the one about the family that went to Okemo for the weekend? . . . .

powbmps

2knees - my Sunapee pass is good at Okemo so let me know if you're going to head up there. I'd like to check it out.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

They must have forgotten their home alert bracelets ;)

2knees

:smile: i only put that line in cause i expected the usual comments about okemo. sikskier said it all i think.

2knees - my Sunapee pass is good at Okemo so let me know if you're going to head up there. I'd like to check it out.

Will do. havent been in a couple of years but i was very impressed with their bumps at the time.

gmcunni

:smile: i only put that line in cause i expected the usual comments about okemo. sikskier said it all i think.

agreed, some people come off as having a deep seeded hatred for the place. if you don't like it then don't go there.

jaywbigred

always wanted to do a 360 (we called them helicopters when i was learning to ski) but i can only manage a 180...BTW, I'm still hoping to nail a 360 soon!! . . . .

Wow this is right on point: recent email thread with my ski buddies (read from the bottom up; personal info removed), discussing upcoming trip to Breckenridge.

Me: Yes I agree. Btw, this isn’t 1993. They aren’t helicopters; they’re 360s! AND I CAN’T DO ONE!

yet.

jaywbigred

This message contains confidential information, intended only for the person or persons named above, which may also be privileged. Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure by any other person is strictly prohibited. In such case, you should delete this message and kindly notify the sender via reply e-mail. Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent to Internet e-mail for messages of this kind.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2008 1:15 PM
To: Friend2
Cc: Friend3; jaywbigred
Subject: RE: i'm crying inside

yeah. rails = broken teeth/reconstructive surgery

i'm all for trying to pull helicopters on a 3 foot jump into powder --LIKE A REAL MAN!

Friend 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2008 1:09 PM
To: Friend 1.
Cc: friend 3; jaywbigred
Subject: Re: i'm crying inside

there are also 4 terrain parks.
I've given up on learning to ride a rail after getting heckled at DEER VALLEY.
We could also try and build a kicker on one of the access trails near our house.
Beer and pointless projects mix well.

On Jan 28, 2008 1:05 PM, <Friend 1> wrote:

this is the trip where we find a small jump near a bowl and we just hit it again and again (climbing back up each time)

it is just unforgivable that we haven't learned to do at least one trick that looks super cool... landing a 180 doesn't count.

Friend 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2008 1:02 PM
To: Friend 1
Cc: FRiend 3; jaywbigred
Subject: Re: i'm crying inside

I love that forward twisting flip he does without jumping.
I'm going to teach myself that in March.
NOT

On Jan 28, 2008 12:50 PM, <friend 1> wrote:

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3197768&categoryId=3132094&brand=expn

powbmps

The Okemo website has an interactive trail map showing moguls on Ledges, Sels Choice and Upper Limelight. Black Out shows moguls, but also shows groomed, so I don't know what that means.

gmcunni

From the Okemo blog as of last Friday:

"You asked and we delivered! There have been many requests for more moguls on the hill and our snowmaking and grooming teams have delivered.

Both Ledges and Blackout got a new blanket of snow and bumps last night - so check them out.

These trails join Upper Limelight and Sel's Choice. So if you're a bumper, have at it!"

jack97

The Okemo website has an interactive trail map showing moguls on Ledges, Sels Choice and Upper Limelight. Black Out shows moguls, but also shows groomed, so I don't know what that means.

I've only been on sel's choice since it's usually the first to seed, the field is in the terrain park and the trail is wide enuf so that they groom one side for a bail out. Like sunapee, I would assume they do this for all there mogul fields, have a bail section and groom as needed.

I was thinking of going to Okemo this season just to try the other trails, depends on whether I can sneak out of work.

Greg

Staff member
From the Okemo blog as of last Friday:

"You asked and we delivered! There have been many requests for more moguls on the hill and our snowmaking and grooming teams have delivered.

Both Ledges and Blackout got a new blanket of snow and bumps last night - so check them out.

These trails join Upper Limelight and Sel's Choice. So if you're a bumper, have at it!"

Now that is cool. Okemo is back on my radar. Someone go scope it out and post some pics.