• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How do you get down the mountain?

What do you do

• Total voters

ctenidae

I'm with bvibert, though I'm usually head first on my back- I find that the back waistband of my pants works well to help slow me down, and there's nothing quite so nice as the feeling of fresh snow in your drawers.

dmc

Strat said:
awf170 said:
Strat said:
SNOWBOARD! YAY!

Though I fear I'm rather alone on here...

you used to ski right... i think i remember you sayin that
Yeah, but I barely remember it, and I'll never, ever do it again... snowboarding is far too much fun :D

You'd be suprised how quickly it comes back!! Plus you get the added benefit of being scares s-less on trails you'd never even worry about on a board..

The thing I love about strapping on a pair of alpines is the way people that didnt know me as a skier react to me.. They see me - "joe snowboarder" - on skis and they assume I'm going to be having problems skiing... Then I skate off and blow them away...

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
dmc said:
Strat said:
awf170 said:
Strat said:
SNOWBOARD! YAY!

Though I fear I'm rather alone on here...

you used to ski right... i think i remember you sayin that
Yeah, but I barely remember it, and I'll never, ever do it again... snowboarding is far too much fun :D

You'd be suprised how quickly it comes back!! Plus you get the added benefit of being scares s-less on trails you'd never even worry about on a board..

The thing I love about strapping on a pair of alpines is the way people that didnt know me as a skier react to me.. They see me - "joe snowboarder" - on skis and they assume I'm going to be having problems skiing... Then I skate off and blow them away...
Well see I was always a terrible skier, I just went because my parents effectively forced me to because they didn't want me sitting in the house every winter sunday afternoon doing nothing, and my school offered a program that included lift ticket and rentals for $15 for a half day, so they made me do it, for 4 years... yeah, I think it was 4, not 5... anyway, I was never very good, never liked it, and wished I didn't have to do it again... the only benefit of it was that it introduced me to the mountain atmosphere, and the 5th year, I started snowboarding, and haven't looked back since... 8)

dmc

Strat said:
Well see I was always a terrible skier

Oh... Well thats something completely different... :)

I skied for a lot of years before I tried boarding in late 80's(forget if it was 88 or 89) on a Jackson Hole trip...

JimG.

Staff member
Skier here...AT setup is my everyday ride. And once I got used to it, yeah going uphill is almost as much fun as going down.

dmc

JimG. said:
Skier here...AT setup is my everyday ride. And once I got used to it, yeah going uphill is almost as much fun as going down.

I got to get you on teles this year...
You and Karl... Free heeling ;)

thetrailboss

Staff member
dmc said:
pizza said:
Hmm.. skiers ahead by a significant margin.

That will change at about 4:30 AM when the snowboarders get home from their partying.
Wait - it's a school night. Make that 2:30AM.

(It was there. I couldn't resist.)

this old boarder got in at 11:00... But I am a little tipsy from the "Double Bags" I drank tonight..

mmmmmmmmmm....Double Bag....good beer. :beer:

As for me, well, I ski and snowshoe. I also have done some XC as well.

In Jan 2003 I did try snowboardin--one a free beginner lesson from Jay Peak. I had heard that snowboarding was hard to learn, easy to master, and skiing is vice versa. Man, is that true :eek: I've got a lot of respect for good snowboarders...I spent two hours on the board, fell over and over again, got slammed down, and basically got my a$$ handed to me. I couldn't get over the 'sliding sideways' thing. Hit my ribs real bad. After that free lesson, took my board back to the shop, pulled out my season pass, and grabbed my skis heading for the Flyer and expert terrain. :wink: It was worth a shot...but skiing for me...long boards and short boards.

dmc

thetrailboss said:

Next winter I plan on doing a lot of XCountry touring.. Gotta get some skis and boots..
Or just use my tele skis and boots..

To me NOTHING beats being in the woods in the winter...

awf170

NHpowderhound said:
I have a good time going UP the mountain with my Pocket Rocket/Fritschi Diamir AT setup. Still more fun going down though. :D
((*
*))NHPH

nice, i would really wanna do that becasue i have pocketrockets.... or if i learn how to tele i would put them on the pocketrockets, that would be a pretty sweet setup :D
About AT setup, do ski on them almost everyday or just Backcountry..

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
thetrailboss said:
dmc said:
pizza said:

That will change at about 4:30 AM when the snowboarders get home from their partying.

this old boarder got in at 11:00... But I am a little tipsy from the "Double Bags" I drank tonight..

In Jan 2003 I did try snowboardin--one a free beginner lesson from Jay Peak. I had heard that snowboarding was hard to learn, easy to master, and skiing is vice versa. Man, is that true :eek: I've got a lot of respect for good snowboarders...I spent two hours on the board, fell over and over again, got slammed down, and basically got my a$$ handed to me. I couldn't get over the 'sliding sideways' thing. Hit my ribs real bad. After that free lesson, took my board back to the shop, pulled out my season pass, and grabbed my skis heading for the Flyer and expert terrain. :wink: It was worth a shot...but skiing for me...long boards and short boards.
Snowboarding is FAR from "easy to master"... while it's easy to become relatively competent in not too long, mastery is a whole different story... that takes as many years if not more than mastering skiing... however, the opposite thing is kind of true - the first day of skiing is like a day at the amusement park compared to the first day of snowboarding... I've never heard of anyone who didn't live on advil and water for the first few days of snowboarding... took me 7 lessons before I could even really move without falling over... once you get it though, the results are oh so sweet... :D 8)

dmc

Strat said:
Snowboarding is FAR from "easy to master"...

I don't know if I agree with that... I have friends that have switched to boarding from skiing and after a year they are MUCH better boarders then they ever were on skis...

When I say master - I mean - making it down expert trail and stuff... Not cranking huge airs in the park...

awf170

Strat said:
thetrailboss said:
dmc said:
pizza said:

Snowboarding is FAR from "easy to master"... while it's easy to become relatively competent in not too long, mastery is a whole different story... that takes as many years if not more than mastering skiing... however, the opposite thing is kind of true - the first day of skiing is like a day at the amusement park compared to the first day of snowboarding... I've never heard of anyone who didn't live on advil and water for the first few days of snowboarding... took me 7 lessons before I could even really move without falling over... once you get it though, the results are oh so sweet... :D 8)

strat that what the problem is for me now though, im a good skier so if i want to learn how to snowboard i have to sit in the begginer area for a few days watching all of that beautiful expect terrian, if i lived near a mountain and had unlimited ski days i would try it but when i only get out 15-20 times a year i value everyone too much

dmc

awf170 said:
strat that what the problem is for me now though, im a good skier so if i want to learn how to snowboard i have to sit in the begginer area for a few days watching all of that beautiful expect terrian

Thats the great thing about learning something new...
You become a beginner and all those trails will scare your again!

When I was learning to ride - I rode early in the day and skied in the afternoon..
Kinda sucked cause I had to use my ski boot liners stuffed into Sorel boots for snowboarding... Then take them out and use them in ski boot shells...

You guys who ride now have no idea how easy it is compared to 15 - 20 years ago...