• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How do you transport your skis?

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I have tried the two obvious choices, cargo box and rack, and find pros and cons with each. Rack is nice and convenient, however you pick up all the road crap on your skiis. Cargo box is protects the skis. But it's harder accessing, on my 4Runner, and the skis bounce around. Yes, I know you can tie them down, but it's a pain in the butt having to balance your self on the runners of the truck and messin with tie downs. I was thinking of working on some kind of in between. Perhaps a cargo box and some contraption where the skis are held in place at the top of the box when you open it. Any ideas out there?

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Skis in a bag or with bindings wrapped on roof rack or inside the car. I never transport my skis outside of my vehicle without covering the binding at a minimum.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
teachski said:
Skis in a bag or with bindings wrapped on roof rack or inside the car. I never transport my skis outside of my vehicle without covering the binding at a minimum.

I've tried that one too, hey one thing to say bout a roof rack, the skis can look pretty weird after a long ride. A couple of times times the tips snow covered the tips, got dirty from road grime, froze and it looked like a couple of snakes sitting on my roof with their mouths open and fangs hanging out. Looked cool, but not too good for the skis.

teachski

Website
teachski.com
andyzee said:
teachski said:

I've tried that one too, hey one thing to say bout a roof rack, the skis can look pretty weird after a long ride. A couple of times times the tips snow covered the tips, got dirty from road grime, froze and it looked like a couple of snakes sitting on my roof with their mouths open and fangs hanging out. Looked cool, but not too good for the skis.

This is why I put the skis in the car sometimes. If the weather is bad the skis are never on the rack. If on a long trip they are either in the car or in a full bag. the binding wrap is only used for shorter local trips.

Charlie Schuessler

First thing is the skis are wiped clean & dry, held together with base protector wraps and placed in a clean bag that is snugly tightened. If I'm traveling alone, they travel in the car bagged. Boot & Garment Bag on back seat. If I take the sedan with others, all skis get bagged and go on the roof. If I take the wagon with up to two people, bagged skis inside the car, or if with 3 or 4 people, bagged skis on the roof. Everything inside the car gets seat-belted in place. All poles always go in the trunk. I have a collection of bags and use some for inside travel only and usually carry an extra bag for a forgetful person…

I use a Thule rack system between two cars, where each car has it’s own attachment clamps and carrier bars. For the two cars we use one 4-ski rack set, one canoe carrier and two bicycle racks. All components have their own locks and all locks are keyed the same. I’ve been using the Thule components for at least ten years and I am very pleased with the performance.

hammer

Inside my car; I fold down the 40% portion of the back seat and make the kids sit a little closer together.

I do have a question that I think is related to this: how does everyone get their skis and gear from their vehicle to the lodge? With kids in tow getting gear to the lodge is usually a challenge...

tirolerpeter

Ski Transport

I have a Thule rack system and the box that goes on it. I find it easy to mount and dismount the entire system (racks and all) when I have a helper. I used to leave it on my Honda from Dec to March and it only gave me a 1.5 mpg mileage penalty. I find that my Hyundai EGT suffers about a 3 - 3.5 mpg mileage penalty when I use the box (definitely an engine torque curve issue at hwy speeds). So, when I travel alone, or with just one other person, I just drop the 35% side (behind the driver) of the rear seat back and put the skiis inside the car. I use a heavy duty (6 mil) sheet of plastic to catch any residual meltwater from the skiis on the ride off the mountain. I have also found that the CT and MA state police love talking to drivers with ski boxes and/or ski gear on the roof traveling north on I-91 late in the evenings at (and I am not kidding here) even legal speeds. When I don't have the gear visible, they seem much less interested. As to kids: When mine were little (they are now 21, 25, & 28) every one had a "toting assignment" commensurate with physical strength. They also learned to keep watch over gear while I parked the car in whatever god-forsaken satellite lot our arrival time relegated us to. That was great motivation for very early arrival on the mountain! Now, since I rarely ski other than mid-week that is also no longer an issue. Oh yes! Dressing: The rule was Dad helped everyone to get dressed and geared up. Then, they all went to play outside while I got dressed. This kept me from dissolving from perspiration, and then freezing shortly thereafter!

S

skimom

In the van on the floor.

At the end of the day, I'll throw down a large beach towel and lay the wet skiis on top. When I get home, I use the towel to wipe off any remaining water, stow the skiis in the garage and toss the towel in the wash.

If there's more than one pair of skiis (and there usually is), I'll bring a few towels and stack the skiis with the towels in between.

rjc1976

I've always carried both my skis and snowboard inside the car with part of the back seat folded down. I have a Yakima rack system though (for my bike), and since I was able to get the ski attachments for $50 on eBay, I decided to go ahead and get them. I'm not sure how much I'll use them though...I can still see myself just putting them in the car. I figure they'll come in handy for when I drive friends who don't use ski bags. I'll put theirs on the rack to prevent my interior from getting too dirty.

Vortex

Ski Rack, But make sure you dry off your skiies. My bindings had a problem this year took alot of work get them to pass safety check. I did not dry them properly after season end. I acutally grabbed my ski rack this weekend going on the vehicle tonight.

skijay

Skis, boards, blades all inside. Thanks to a 70/30 folding seat, 3 people and gear can ride in comfort. Bikes go on the roof. There is a mileage penalty using a roof rack, more noticeable in the winter.

I used to have a ski sack in one of my cars. That was a neat item, just fold down the rear seat armrest and open a little trap door and open the sack. Gotta love them Germans!

Greg

Staff member
I have a Jeep Chrokee so the rear seat doesn't split and it's a pain to keep undoing my daughter's carseat. Usually the skis are on the rack, especially if I'm with somebody. If it's just me I may throw them in the car in a ski bag.

jimme

At first, I just put the skis in the car. Now I put them is a ski bag for saftey and to keep things cleaner. I keep the boot bag on the back seat and with a DC/AC converter and boot dryers can warm them up before I get to the ski area. :)

Jimme

thetrailboss

Staff member
About ten years ago, we used to use the ski rack, but now I always fold down the back seat and keep my skis in the car...road salt and debris is not good for them and I am still a young lad without any kids.

I also keep my boots in the main part of my apartment so that they are nice and warm to put on my feet...cold boots are downright punishing!

Talisman

I like to keep road salt and grime off of my skis and bindings, so either they ride in a roof box or in the back. Usually it is in the box to keep melt water and rust stains inside the vehicle to a minimum. If you have never used one roof boxes are really handy for transporting skis, poles and snow boards.