• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How do you transport your skis?

tirolerpeter

Frozen locks on rack or box

The real problem with a frozen lock is the risk of breaking off the key. First of all, I always make sure that at one other person in my party has a set of car and rack keys in case I lose my own. "De-icing" tactics I have used: 1. Fill a water bottle up with hot water before leaving the lodge and heading out to the car (cheap). 2. Pop a "handwarmer" packet and wrap it around the lock (expensive). Of course, in a real emergency, like getting locked out of your car at 3AM in bitter cold, you can resort to your "personal supply of streaming hot liquid" which you carry with you at all times!

Geoff

My skis go inside the car. Always. I've had a couple of the Mercury Mountaineer versions of the Ford Exploder since 1996. These cars have had the Ford combo lock keyless entry feature. Car keys are safely locked inside the car while skiing. It would be very difficult to give up that feature.

I have a 3-way split bench and the armrest part stays folded down for the winter. The rear cargo area is lined with cardboard. Skis live there.

Rushski

If there are only two or three of us for a single day then I just fold part of the backseat and throw them in.

Otherwise found a Coleman of all brands, rack that fits my factory crossbars very well and at Target near the end of last season for 1/2 price - $40 I think.