• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ice axes offer too much leverage

awf170

I know I make some pretty awful decisions, but everyone once in a while I manage to amaze myself with the shear stupidity of what I do. Today was a perfect example of one of those times.

Most everyone here probably knows this but just to double check: disk brakes automatically adjust so if you pull the lever when there is no wheel on the pads will adjust causing the disk not to fit in. To fix this problem you should lightly pry the pads apart with a flathead screw driver. I did not have a flathead screwdriver in my car, or anything even closely resembling one. The riders in the car next to me probably did, because seriously what kind of dumbass rides without a single tool on them. Asking them would have required effort though, and seeing how my car is completely full of sh*t there must be something that would work. Well in matter of seconds I found something, an ice axe. To me the blunt end of the axe looked like a perfect tool to pry the pads apart. And let me tell you, it did a pretty bang-up job of prying them apart. It actually did such an awesome job that the pads decided that they didn't want to go back together. After about 15 minutes of excessive swearing, hitting, and occasionally doing something useful that might actually fix the brakes I give up and drive myself back home defeated. I think I failed to calculate that the leverage of an ice axe is at least a 100X the leverage of a screwdriver. I hate bikes, and hate myself even more.

:dunce:

Last edited:

awf170

Hmph... I just tried the back brake and it is also all f*cked up. Maybe sitting in a below freezing car for a few weeks did something to the brake lines?

awf170

Dude, stop pressing the brake levers when the wheel is off the bike

I have the fight the bike to get it into the back of my sedan. So sometimes I accidentally squeeze the lever. Anyway I never take the back wheel off and that one is f*cked up too, so I don't think that is the problem. The lines probably froze then melted and created air pockets. Time to buy a bleed kit I guess.

I'm slightly drunk so hopefully this post made sense...

bvibert

Staff member
I have the fight the bike to get it into the back of my sedan. So sometimes I accidentally squeeze the lever. Anyway I never take the back wheel off and that one is f*cked up too, so I don't think that is the problem. The lines probably froze then melted and created air pockets. Time to buy a bleed kit I guess.

I'm slightly drunk so hopefully this post made sense...

The freezing point of mineral oil is around -30C and DOT fluid is below -40. Your brakes use one or the other. I seriously doubt your bike got cold enough to freeze the brake fluid in your lines. Even if it did freeze how would it have created air pockets? I think you have something else going on there.

awf170

The freezing point of mineral oil is around -30C and DOT fluid is below -40. Your brakes use one or the other. I seriously doubt your bike got cold enough to freeze the brake fluid in your lines. Even if it did freeze how would it have created air pockets? I think you have something else going on there.

Hmph... both brakes were fine when I put my bike into my a car a few weeks ago, then after taking my bike out yesterday neither worked. Strange.

bvibert

Staff member
When you say that the back isn't working, what exactly is it doing (or not doing)?

bvibert

Staff member
Assuming the pads didn't fall out it sounds like you may have some air trapped in there. Did you notice any leaks or anything? What kind of brakes are we talking about here?

awf170

Assuming the pads didn't fall out it sounds like you may have some air trapped in there. Did you notice any leaks or anything? What kind of brakes are we talking about here?

Juicy 5's. Pads didn't fall out and I didn't notice any leaks. So I assume I need to bleed the lines?

bvibert

Staff member
Juicy 5's. Pads didn't fall out and I didn't notice any leaks. So I assume I need to bleed the lines?

That would definitely be a start. I'd question how air got in there in the first place though. Unless the last bleed wasn't very good, trapping air in the lever somewhere that then worked it's way down into the line while your bike was crammed into your car.

davidhowland14

Website
www.frigidlight.com
i've seen alot of stories about weird tools used to fix bikes but this about takes the cake. Using an ice axe to fix brake lines is hysterical!

and yeah, bleed the brakes...I'm sure you've checked all the obvious things like wheel alignment, cables wrapped up/kinked, etc?

eatskisleep

Bleeding brakes is fun, you can get them to how you want them to feel...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
You might have had a little water in the lines, which froze. Which might have been a result of having air in your lines from the summer which was humid, and then condensed in the cold and then froze.

Either way, I got a kick out of reading this story; I never have problems like this with mechanical disc brakes :D

C'mon, Austin, even a civ-e should be able to figure out hydraulic brakes on a bike. It's about the simplest working hydraulic system you can physically build.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Also, I was under the impression an ice axe had basically three sharp ends- the pick, the point and the adze. Which side of yours is blunt?

bvibert

Staff member
I was waiting for Marc to weigh in on this important topic. Frankly I'm a little disappointed. I was expecting a more detailed technical explanation about something...