• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is October skiing a Big Deal?

Highway Star

You know, there's a been alot of talk about spring bumps, etc, how the WROD is lame, etc. But when it comes right down to it, people WANT to ski in October, and do get excited about it.

I think its more along the lines that absolute 100% diehards want to ski in October. I don't think the general public really cares that much in all honesty. My friends are not as crazy as I am about skiing and when I tried to convince them to head out this weekend, all I got were funny looks and wait till Novembers. It also has a lot to do with the driving time and ticket cost. All factors considered, October skiing holds two values, the Marketing aspect; I still remember Wildcats October opening a few years ago, and satisfying the diehards and season pass holders. I know I am always exited whenever skiing is offered this early, but I also know I am one of the few.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Spring = High Supply and Low Demand (relative)
Fall = Low Supply and High Demand (relative)

The limited amount of early opening mountains can not feed the die hard demand early season. And for all the places that close with 100% of their trails open, not even all the die hards can make much difference unless they are consolidated at the few mountains that make a go a late season. Which is irrelerent any ways because early season and late season is not so much about ticket sales but rather season pass sales and pleasing the slopeside owners.

Turns are turns and I will ski a WROD at least a half dozen times before I need something more or I won't even bother. Is October skiing a big deal? It is to those that really love to ski. To the average skier? Not so much.

Greg

Staff member
I've only done it once, and I hiked for it so I guess it's not that big a deal to me. I'll head up to Killington this month if they open, for the novelty of it. Quite frankly lapping the glades will get old. I might hold off until more terrain opens up.

WWF-VT

Call me crazy, but I'm more impressed by watching the video posted at TGR of the guys that skied Castlerock this week than I am by any mountain's ability cover half a trail with manmade snow and declare that they are "open".

100_2624.jpg

100_2632.jpg

Last edited:

wa-loaf

It's just nice to get out and shake the dust off if you can. I don't think anyone expects too much. (except Killington skiers...)

mister moose

Early season for me is mostly about going to the gym. I know if I don't do it, I'll be swimming in glue and yardsaling until January. If I want to be able to really enjoy those December powder days, I need to be on skis in November. October, sure, I'll come up, but I'm sure not expecting divine bliss on skis.

I think there are certain thresholds reached based on number of days skied a year. Sure, you bring your general ability level with you, but your experience if you ski 10, 30, 50 or 100 days is different. Skiing is about skill, but it's also having the muscle tone to carry out that skill. Last spring I could really tell that I had skied far more days that season compared to less days just the year before.

So sure, lapping the glades gets old. I'll still do it though.

AMAC2233

I think it's much more rewarding if you wait. I usually don't ski until at least past Thanksgiving, only due to the fact that I want it to be a normal wintry, snowy experience. Honestly, driving up to the mountain with no snow on the ground, foliage still on the trees, and a mostly brown mountain is kind of depressing, and it wouldn't really put me in the mood for a good day of skiing. Then when I do get out around December, it's nice to be able to think...wow, winter is finally here, and it was worth the wait.

4aprice

I think it's much more rewarding if you wait. I usually don't ski until at least past Thanksgiving, only due to the fact that I want it to be a normal wintry, snowy experience. Honestly, driving up to the mountain with no snow on the ground, foliage still on the trees, and a mostly brown mountain is kind of depressing, and it wouldn't really put me in the mood for a good day of skiing. Then when I do get out around December, it's nice to be able to think...wow, winter is finally here, and it was worth the wait.

Very well said. I have so much work to be done before the ski season starts. Once it starts I dedicate every weekend to skiing till April where some of the same type of work goes the other way (cold-warm). This fall is already flying by. The wife and I have been doing some training and I can use more. Snow has fallen (is falling as I look out the window at least a mix) but the leaves gotta get down and cleared before the skis come out. A Thanksgiving start like last year would be perfect.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Spring = High Supply and Low Demand (relative)
Fall = Low Supply and High Demand (relative)

The limited amount of early opening mountains can not feed the die hard demand early season. And for all the places that close with 100% of their trails open, not even all the die hards can make much difference unless they are consolidated at the few mountains that make a go a late season. Which is irrelerent any ways because early season and late season is not so much about ticket sales but rather season pass sales and pleasing the slopeside owners.

Turns are turns and I will ski a WROD at least a half dozen times before I need something more or I won't even bother. Is October skiing a big deal? It is to those that really love to ski. To the average skier? Not so much.

+1
The average skier and the general population think you're nuts if you do it. Amoungst passionate skiers/boarders, it's a badge of honor. Look at o3's night October ski report.

Tyrolean_skier

If I did not have kids' obligations (football and cheerleading) and I could have gotten to Sunday River, I would have loved to ski whatever they were offering. I am addicted to skiing so a small fix will do at this time of the year. It's hard to stay home and read about others that are skiing, but the kids take precedence.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I was very pleased to be out there today. I haven't skied in October since High School, but would ski what I did today again.......for the right price. Anything over $40 to me would be a rip off for 1 trail. I thought Killington's price point opening weekend last year was a joke.