• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jiminy Peak - 2-27-2005

Charlie Schuessler

February 27, 2005

Jiminy Peak

20-30's - Blue Sky & Sunshine – Heavenly

My first trip there ever...and did the Snow Gods treat me nice!

This place may be in the Mountains of Western MA, it skies like the White Mountains. An excellent range of terrain differences with snow base conditions of true Hardpack and a fluffy layer of powder all over the mountain.

It appears that they manage the mountain conservatively leaving lift line trails closed (when they really could have been open) and rolling the trails the night before.

We skied all day without standing on any lines. We never tried the Summit Six Chair (because it had THE only line). We skied every trail that was open and found all enjoyable. Jericho is FUN and the bumps on it were soft and spaced perfectly. They had a true bump run that is short but deep and challenging. The troughs were a good 24-30" deep and made me work….

They had some of the steep trails open and they were soft snow covered, easily carved and fast. However most of the advance upper elevation trails were closed. That was the only disappointment...but popping in and out of the tree's exposed soft powder.

And they have a PARK which as empty most of the time, however I found it fun.

Although it seems some of the lifts are slow, I found them peaceful, and the mountain trails never seemed overwhelmed with skiers. I liked the Town Line Markers on the lift towers.

And the charges were reasonable, especially the way they count teenagers.

This place is very good, I'll be back when I'm out this way. If you’ve never been there, try it! :D

Greg

Staff member
Cool! Jiminy could be considered my home mountain. Glad you had the chance to try it. Maybe next time we could hook up. One thing about the six though - the line may appear daunting, but it usually moves quickly. With a 5 minute ride to the summit, it's usually only a 10-12 minute lag between runs. The triple is brutal though. Did you ride that?

Charlie Schuessler

We rode the four other "UP Mountain" lifts. Except for the old west triple @ Bretton Woods, I don't really mind a slow lift, just standing in line.

Greg

Staff member
Charlie Schuessler said:
Jericho is FUN and the bumps on it were soft and spaced perfectly. They had a true bump run that is short but deep and challenging. The troughs were a good 24-30" deep and made me work….
I haven't been to Jiminy since early January, but Jericho was consistently good the times I was there. That bump run you're referring to is most likely Cutter. It's got a nice pitch, but the trail won't receive much sun until mid-March. Not the best selection for their dedicated mogul run...