• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Keurig/Green Mountain Sold to Private Equity Group; Going Private

jimk

The western (make that the whole) world is full of coffee addicts and it will be interesting if they determine 100 years from now it is like tobacco, more of a health hazard than we realize. My wife and I are not really coffee people, but even we recently acquired a little Keurig machine. Use it more for others than ourselves. Numerous retail establishments in my area give away free coffee and I confess I grab extra K-cups for home. The whole set up with K-cups reminds me of home computer printer ink. The printers are now practically free, but they kill you with the price of ink cartridges.

Puck it

Sales are flat. I always wonder why they would buy companies like this at the end of life.

steamboat1

My good friend George & his brother John have done a few Keurig commercials.
I get all my Italian goodies from them.

On Court Street & Union Street, Cobble Hill, Brooklyn.

Stop in if you're in the area.

You won't be disappointed.

Last edited:

Hawkshot99

My friends uncle works in their cooperate offices up in VT. He gets cases of cups sent to him every few months. Hopefully these dont stop....

deadheadskier

Staff member
You think Keurig is at the end of its life?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

End of life in business usually starts at sales flattening out. I do think the Keurig disposable one use product is at the end of its life in that regard.

It's wasteful, the product is poor quality.....destined for vending area status and off the homebrew radar in the next five years IMO.

Better, more flexible and efficient machines will replace it.

ScottySkis

The western (make that the whole) world is full of coffee addicts and it will be interesting if they determine 100 years from now it is like tobacco, more of a health hazard than we realize. My wife and I are not really coffee people, but even we recently acquired a little Keurig machine. Use it more for others than ourselves. Numerous retail establishments in my area give away free coffee and I confess I grab extra K-cups for home. The whole set up with K-cups reminds me of home computer printer ink. The printers are now practically free, but they kill you with the price of ink cartridges.

I agree and only drink half caffeine cup of coffee in morning. Also to save money I buy the plastic washable cup and filter and use Folgers coffee.

crank

My name is Marc and I am a coffee addict.

I am drinking coffee as I type this. Some years they say coffee is bad for you...some years it's good.

I have never liked Green Mountain Coffee... other than its name.

The K cups are wasteful and also take up a heck of a lot more room than a bag of beans.

One can get really good coffee in many many more places than Brooklyn, although I have nothing against Brooklyn.

ctenidae

Calling JAB Holdings "private equity" is a bit of a stretch. True, they are a private company, and they're buying equity, but JAB is the family office for the Reimann family in Germany. They also own Jimmy Choo, Coty, and Bally.

As for the sense of the acquisition, it makes sense in light of their plan to build a global coffee company. Keurig has 20% of the US packaged coffee market, so a big player. JAB bought Peets and Caribou a few years ago, and already owns Douwe-Egbert. Seems the plan is to launch k-cups in Europe to compete with Nestle. Interesting buy-and-build play, overall.

Tin

I like Green Mountain Coffee but hate that expensive and shitty Keurig machine and all the plastic cups. If anyone is looking for a good read check out the guy behind the Dart corporation. He should have a movie on his life.

thetrailboss

Staff member
End of life in business usually starts at sales flattening out. I do think the Keurig disposable one use product is at the end of its life in that regard.

It's wasteful, the product is poor quality.....destined for vending area status and off the homebrew radar in the next five years IMO.

Better, more flexible and efficient machines will replace it.

So you don't think Keurig will develop that machine?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone