• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Keurig/Green Mountain Sold to Private Equity Group; Going Private

deadheadskier

Staff member
They better hope they're the ones!!

Only reason why I have considered one is because my wife and I don't share the same taste in coffee. The compromise is first one to the coffee machine in the morning wins!

wtcobb

For my HO, Keurig is pure garbage. Unnecessarily wasteful, disgustingly unsanitary (ever looked closely at one of those units?), and a poor product from the standpoint of the coffee.

I fresh grind and drip brew every morning, and when time affords (weekends) I have a press. When I lived in Thornton Mad River Roasters was my regular stomp on the way to work. Now I homebrew.

Tangentially related: I've bring a travel mug into D&D/Starbucks and usually get looks like I have three heads.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I'm not a Keurig fan. I have a french press I love but don't use that much unless I have time. But it makes awesome coffee.

Green Mountain Coffee is actually a client of the company I work for. So that's pretty much all we have in the office :)

bigbog

I like all the mentioned over the pre-packaged. Mad River Roasters8)..great name.
It's been instant since 2001 for me but always like to grind the beans and then throw into coffemaker(may be getting back to the machine/grinder within a month...newer Keurig certainly looks better).

wtcobb

I believe Mad River Coffee is now supplying coffee to Loon - I think they even started making K-cups. If you're headed to WV/Loon/Cannon stop in at exit 28. Always great pastries there too...

Scruffy

So you don't think Keurig will develop that machine?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

It's already been developed, the drip coffee maker. So easy, a caveman could use it.

I burr grind quality beans and brew every morning. It doesn't even take one minute to get it going. Cleanup afterwords is drop the paper filter with grinds in the compost and rinse the basket with plain water.

I also have an espresso machine I play around with when I have more time, that certainly is more time consuming, eps. the cleanup.

Latest news on coffee is, it's good for ya, go ahead and drink up.

Most Keurig machines I see around the office are collecting dust.

thetrailboss

Staff member
50% off a new K brewer
http://www.keurig.com/gma-deal?cm_mmc=ref-_-gma-_-k45-_-121015

and they make a mini filter you can load your own coffee in if you prefer it over pre-packaged kups

For what it's worth I believe this second generation of the machine is not selling well because Keurig changed it so that you can only take their certified K cups and nothing else. Apparently that has really backfired on them.

gmcunni

For what it's worth I believe this second generation of the machine is not selling well because Keurig changed it so that you can only take their certified K cups and nothing else. Apparently that has really backfired on them.

i *think* they are on version 3 but calling it V 2. i had version 1, the original, and now the vue (v cups) which was billed as the next great innovation. vue had problems, they tried to design a new cup style to thwart copycats. now the new one is out and back to the old style k cups. or something like that.

thetrailboss

Staff member
i *think* they are on version 3 but calling it V 2. i had version 1, the original, and now the vue (v cups) which was billed as the next great innovation. vue had problems, they tried to design a new cup style to thwart copycats. now the new one is out and back to the old style k cups. or something like that.

Ok. Makes sense. We got ours within the last year and love it.

ScottySkis

I like the new machine my cousin just bought I would never personally spend that much on any coffee maker. I live in his house though .

Domeskier

Oatmeal!

Nature-Valley-apple-cinnamon.jpg

If they could find a way to make that thing cook a steak, all other appliances might become obsolete.

gmcunni

Empty-tea-bag-with-string-and-tag.jpg_200x200.jpg

my wife uses the K machine just for hot water.

VTKilarney

I see challenges as far as growth is concerned. Their last two machines bombed and they no longer hold a patent on K-cups.

I have a Nespresso machine. It's MUCH more civilized than that nasty swill that Keurig machines put out.