• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington, 1/20/10 - The tamest "Beast" I've ever met :-(

drjeff

Bumps not as big, but Outer Limits does still get bumped up edge to edge
1-21-08015.jpg

And they still let others bump up edge to edge too...

Superstar
3-2-08003.jpg

Downdraft and Double Dipper
2-25-08019.jpg

SS, the problem with those pics is that they're from almost 2 years ago. And while K has changed since then (and consensus would say generally for the better) it's not an indication of what the modern 2010 grooming/snow maintence/bump plan is for K. And what it seems is the crux of BMM's criticism (and remember he drives a cat) is how K is going about managing the snow of their bump runs. It's one thing to just make a ton of snow (which K has) but an entirely different thing to maintain it, especially with respect to bumps.

Greg

Staff member
Part of the problem is I think some people have a misunderstanding of what good bumps are. The OL bumps in skiingsnow's pic look pretty good. Supe looks okay, nothing great, but those Downdraft/Dipper moguls are typical GS shit bumps. Just because a trail is ungroomed and bumpy doesn't mean they're good mogul zipperlines.

deadheadskier

Staff member
good point. I'd probably rather ski a groomer than the garbage pictured on downdraft and double dipper

2knees

Part of the problem is I think some people have a misunderstanding of what good bumps are. The OL bumps in skiingsnow's pic look pretty good. Supe looks okay, nothing great, but those Downdraft/Dipper moguls are typical GS shit bumps. Just because a trail is ungroomed and bumpy doesn't mean they're good mogul zipperlines.

well, if you could ski anything other then seeded bumps, you may have a different opinion. :flame: :lol:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm a gaper. I can only ski seeded bumps. I'm sure people laugh at me at Ragged as there are no seeded bumps. ;)

Greg

Staff member
well, if you could ski anything other then seeded bumps, you may have a different opinion. :flame: :lol:

You're right! I almost forgot. :lol:

drjeff

I don't know about that. I look at those pictures, and I see the Killington (and many other places across the US) bumps that I grew up skiing in the 80's/early 90's. Big, wide front faces and a bit of a spine down their longer backside and variability in their sizing and spacing. The type of bumps where you really had to be looking 2 to 5 bumps downhill to stay on top of your line. And there were plenty of folks ripping zipperlines down bump fields that looked just like that - the difference was when a "rogue spaced" bump popped up in the line, you dealt with it - might not look as pretty as a generally perfectly rythmic seeded line, but you either dealt with it, exploded on it, or just looked a bit herb like for a few seconds ;)

Greg

Staff member
I don't know about that. I look at those pictures, and I see the Killington (and many other places across the US) bumps that I grew up skiing in the 80's/early 90's. Big, wide front faces and a bit of a spine down their longer backside and variability in their sizing and spacing. The type of bumps where you really had to be looking 2 to 5 bumps downhill to stay on top of your line. And there were plenty of folks ripping zipperlines down bump fields that looked just like that - the difference was when a "rogue spaced" bump popped up in the line, you dealt with it - might not look as pretty as a generally perfectly rythmic seeded line, but you either dealt with it, exploded on it, or just looked a bit herb like for a few seconds ;)

You're right. Thanks for setting this seeded-only bump skier straight.

2knees

I have to disagree with this assesment of the cascade/dipper pic. those sure look pretty useless to me and i also grew up skiing bumps through the 80's and early 90's. I remember cascade back when it was regularly bumped and it sure never looked like that.

I think sometimes the term "zipperline" is over used and misunderstood. Again, looks can be decieving, but i dont see anything even remotely zipperlineable in that pic.

Greg

Staff member
I have to disagree with this assesment of the cascade/dipper pic. those sure look pretty useless to me and i also grew up skiing bumps through the 80's and early 90's. I remember cascade back when it was regularly bumped and it sure never looked like that.

I think sometimes the term "zipperline" is over used and misunderstood. Again, looks can be decieving, but i dont see anything even remotely zipperlineable in that pic.

Shut up and go ski some seeded bumps you poser.

2knees

Shut up and go ski some seeded bumps you poser.

like these perfectly symmetrical left right left cheater lines?

IMG_12321.JPG

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1222.JPG

seriously, the whole nat or seeded thing is really out there. these were seeded and sure didnt ski all perfect. deep, oddly shaped and fast.

bvibert

Staff member

Highwaystar could totally zipperline the crap out of those bumps.

Greg

Staff member
like these perfectly symmetrical left right left cheater lines?

IMG_12321.JPG

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1222.JPG

seriously, the whole nat or seeded thing is really out there. these were seeded and sure didnt ski all perfect. deep, oddly shaped and fast.

Yeah, exactly. I wonder how many here that think seeded bumps are so easy are going to show up at the mighty Sundown and test their mettle next weekend....

I forgot how big, deep and troughy those upper bumps were. :-o

2knees

Yeah, exactly. I wonder how many here that think seeded bumps are so easy are going to show up at the mighty Sundown and test their mettle next weekend....

I forgot how big, deep and troughy those upper bumps were. :-o

stop flexing the muscles tough guy! :wink:

i just think that people underestimate how much the end product realies on the people skiing them in. Natty or seeded, both can be very easy and forgiving or total crap and difficult.

Newpylong

I agree, I think all of the old towers/lift equipment needs to be removed if it's just going to sit there. It's an eyesore and does not help the image of th emt.