• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington, 1/20/10 - The tamest "Beast" I've ever met :-(

Highway Star

Sounds like someone needs a guided tour of the resort.

Bumps this weekend:

Ovation
Royal Flush
Old Superstar
Superstar (lower)
Big Dipper
Double Dipper
Upper Downdraft
Upper Cascade
Devil's Fiddle
Jug
Jug Handle
Breakaway
Lower Pipe Dream
Needles Eye Liftline
The Steps
Outer Limits
West Glade
Catwalk
Powerline
Thimble
Old Needles Eye
Upper Dreamaker
Upper Vertigo

....that's just what I observed and/or skied. Quite a variety of bumps too. GS bumps, zipper lines, natural snow gnar bumps, etc. Pretty much everything. I don't understand what all the complaining is about.

Didn't get over to snowdon or most of the marked woods, but I'm sure there were some bumps there too.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Fair enough HWS, but you can't deny the fact that Killington is no where near the bumpers paradise it was 15+ years ago........

Highway Star

Fair enough HWS, but you can't deny the fact that Killington is no where near the bumpers paradise it was 15+ years ago........

So what? Freeskiing/Freestyle has moved on from serious bump skiing for the most part. Park skiing is a much bigger deal. Treeskiing and powder skiing is a much bigger deal.

Can you really expect a resort to spend a large amount of time, effort and thought on something that has pretty much become marginalized?

You go out west and nobody skis like a bump skier anymore. Go to Stowe - people ski natural bumps there but they don't ski like bump skiers. Heck, most of the people I ski with at Killington certainly ski bumps as part of all around freeskiing, but they don't ski like bump skiers.

I skied plenty of bumps in the 90's, and even skied like a bump skier sometimes. But it isn't the 90's anymore, and I got over it.

Killington is an anomaly in that there is a large group of people that take bump skiing seriously, and they will aways be unhappy that the bumps aren't like they were back in the day.

That said, they could certainly stand to seed some decent zipper line bumps on both OL and the lower lookers right of Superstar.

Greg

Staff member
So what? Freeskiing/Freestyle has moved on from serious bump skiing for the most part. Park skiing is a much bigger deal. Treeskiing and powder skiing is a much bigger deal.

Can you really expect a resort to spend a large amount of time, effort and thought on something that has pretty much become marginalized?

You go out west and nobody skis like a bump skier anymore. Go to Stowe - people ski natural bumps there but they don't ski like bump skiers. Heck, most of the people I ski with at Killington certainly ski bumps as part of all around freeskiing, but they don't ski like bump skiers.

I skied plenty of bumps in the 90's, and even skied like a bump skier sometimes. But it isn't the 90's anymore, and I got over it.

Killington is an anomaly in that there is a large group of people that take bump skiing seriously, and they will aways be unhappy that the bumps aren't like they were back in the day.

That said, they could certainly stand to seed some decent zipper line bumps on both OL and the lower lookers right of Superstar.

It really seems to be the reality of the situation. And yes, offering just a few good runs will satisfy most mogul skiers. Good to hear there was a lot of ungroomed terrain this weekend. Perhaps BMM did hit it at a bad time. I'll save final judgment until spring cuz that's when it really matters. It does seem like the grooming has been lightened quite a bit which hopefully means the base isn't totally pinned down and we'll get some good bump lines setting up this spring.

deadheadskier

Staff member
You go out west and nobody skis like a bump skier anymore. Go to Stowe - people ski natural bumps there but they don't ski like bump skiers.

I don't know what this means.

If I'm skiing powder, I'm employing the best techniques I know for those conditions. Same goes for carving on groomers. Same goes for bumps.

Why would someone 'ski like a bump skier' in powder or while carving?

frankm938

Sounds like someone needs a guided tour of the resort.

Bumps this weekend:

Ovation
Royal Flush
Old Superstar
Superstar (lower)
Big Dipper
Double Dipper
Upper Downdraft
Upper Cascade
Devil's Fiddle
Jug
Jug Handle
Breakaway
Lower Pipe Dream
Needles Eye Liftline
The Steps
Outer Limits
West Glade
Catwalk
Powerline
Thimble
Old Needles Eye
Upper Dreamaker
Upper Vertigo

....that's just what I observed and/or skied. Quite a variety of bumps too. GS bumps, zipper lines, natural snow gnar bumps, etc. Pretty much everything. I don't understand what all the complaining is about.

Didn't get over to snowdon or most of the marked woods, but I'm sure there were some bumps there too.

the only bumps that were really good were on old superstar, needles eye lift line and freeway. all those trails are low angle trails so the still arent any good bumps on steep terrain and most of the complaints on this thread are about the lack of good bumps on outer limits. freeway was great and just about every killington bumper was there having a blast. it doesnt take much to make the bumpers happy, one good run will do

frankm938

ok lets go point by point...

powder is a much bigger deal than bump skiing... no shit, everyone likes powder better than bumps or anything else, but you cant count on a powder day everytime you go skiing (if i get 5-10 a year i'm happy) park skiing is more popular with the teens and in the ski movies, but its still a small portion of the skiing population that hits the park, prob. about the same portion that likes bump skiing. and they spend alot of time and money on the parks

i go out west twice a year and have been to stowe many times. the people that are good enough to ski bumps like a bump skier, do it, and the ones that cant, dont. if you can charge straight thru a mogul field using smooth even pressure on the front ur skis keeping your shoulders square and your upper body quiet you dont just use a different style because you think its cooler. you can either rip bumps or you cant. you came over and skied a few runs with my crew on sunday, do you think those bump skiers cant rip trees, powder, steeps, park or anything else you put in front of them?

killington may be an anomaly in regards to the large amount of people that take bump skiing seriously, but thats the mtn we are taking about so why not give that large amount of people what they want... zipperline bumps on outer limits

Highway Star

you came over and skied a few runs with my crew on sunday, do you think those bump skiers cant rip trees, powder, steeps, park or anything else you put in front of them?

I've never seen most bump skiers carve a turn. I find that a little disappointing.

Highway Star

i go out west twice a year and have been to stowe many times. the people that are good enough to ski bumps like a bump skier, do it, and the ones that cant, dont. if you can charge straight thru a mogul field using smooth even pressure on the front ur skis keeping your shoulders square and your upper body quiet you dont just use a different style because you think its cooler.

If I wanted to ski like this, I would practice it. So would other people. Just like we all did in the 90's. But now that fat/midfat freeskiing skis are available, there are many other entertaining ways to ski a variety of natural, inconsistant bumps.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
If I wanted to ski like this, I would practice it. So would other people. Just like we all did in the 90's. But now that fat/midfat freeskiing skis are available, there are many other entertaining ways to ski a variety of natural, inconsistant bumps.

FWIW, the many thousands of skiers who visit (unique visits) my website would seem to feel differently than you.

Highway Star

Whatev. I really do know better than to get into this. Have it your way.

Going back on topic here....there was easily 25 trails at Killington with bumps on them this past Wednesday, plus probably 15 glades with bumps. Most of them weren't perfect zipperline bumps. But there were bumps.

Personally, I find inconsistant bumps to be much more interesting.

Highway Star

You know what I think? I think you're just running interference to avoid defending yourself for being to chicken to compete in the BMMC.

I actually skied more bumps this weekend than I have all season, and didn't spend as much time in the woods.

Probably won't do that again.