• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

killington - perhaps the beast is back

skiadikt

having been critical of killington management since the early asc years, perhaps powdr is starting to convert this old curmudgeon into a believer. the past couple weekends have been more like a halfback in the open field rather than strictly adhering to the playbook. the mantra has been 'we're not opening until we can provide a quality top-to-bottom product'. they didn't have to but they willing to throw that out the window opening weekend when they announced that some walking may be involved. this weekend they took it to a whole other level. definitely old school. the lower mtn from chute down consisted mostly of snirt. yet i saw very few walkers. on saturday upper rime appeared to be mostly grass. mtn opps were manning the shovels. despite this they got the biggest crowd of the season. during my nearly 40 lift rides this weekend i rode mostly as a single. spoke to folks from as far away as pittsburgh & philly and to more local types who normally would ski okemo, snow, sugarbush, jay & huntah. no one was complaining. folks just seemed happy to be making turns and thought it was great that k was providing some early season skiing. everyone has rock skis and knows how to use them ...

apparently at the homeowners meeting this weekend (courtesy bubba), chris nyberg said that that "first to open/last to close" is part of customer expectations, that early season skiing is important to mid-season momentum in this market. he said if they had a return lift they could of been open since october and that they were looking at options (hs please don't). he also recognized the need for snowmaking on the fiddle. he spent some time recently talking to pres smith. all this is great news.

anyway it was a great weekend at the big k. hopefully they were satisfied with the turnout and that it pays dividends for them in the long run. perhaps the beast is indeed back.

rachelv

Website
www.mountainreviews.com
Yeah, I was up yesterday and I give them a ton of credit for being open. It was awesome to get some turns in, and things up on the north ridge were surprisingly nice given the weather over the past few weeks. I'm glad to hear they're getting some snowmaking temps, because they definitely need them to get anything decent open over Thanksgiving.

Rambo

So who's open Mon. 11/23/09?

Sunday River, Maine
and Bretton Woods, NH with 1 trail, 1 lift and $15. lift ticket.

And the Beast say's If we had an upper mountain lift we would have been open since October. IF!!!

Bubbartzky

Chris Nyberg said on Saturday that they're looking at options, including various surface lifts, to get you back to the peak for downloading on the gondi for early season skiing and riding. If they can do that, they can open earlier and not have to worry about blowing the lower half of the mountain below the Glades area.

dmc

Chris Nyberg said on Saturday that they're looking at options, including various surface lifts, to get you back to the peak for downloading on the gondi for early season skiing and riding. If they can do that, they can open earlier and not have to worry about blowing the lower half of the mountain below the Glades area.

Sup Bubba?

I like that idea - hope they can figure it all out... Seems like a lot of snow gets wasted the way it is now.. I liked back in the day when Upper Cascade was the early season goto trail....

SkiDork

in the old days, how would you get back down? Load at the midstation for a down ride on the K chair?

skiadikt

in the old days, how would you get back down? Load at the midstation for a down ride on the K chair?

twitter update:

Come on Mother Nature. Throw us a bone. Temp jumped to 31 at the peak in the last 10 minutes, snowmaking on hold, but ready to go.

Geoff

Actually, you'd upload at the midstation, get off at K Peak, remove your skis, and download. That first 10 feet loading the K chair for the download always gave me massive vertigo.

dmc

Actually, you'd upload at the midstation, get off at K Peak, remove your skis, and download. That first 10 feet loading the K chair for the download always gave me massive vertigo.

Me too.... Probably the first time I was on a chair going back down the hill..

I remember taking off me skis and downloading now..

Remember the line of people going back up the trail? Used to get downright dangerous...

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I spoke with Killington Marketing a couple weeks ago regarding our ski club, and they were nice enough to send us a couple lift tickets to raffle off. We will be doing that at our December 17th meeting. That, along with the Killington Clubcard deal puts them off to a good start, as far as ski club relations are concerned.

2knees

That first 10 feet loading the K chair for the download always gave me massive vertigo.

same here.

actually, i nearly crapped my pants the first time i downloaded. you felt like you were 3000 feet up with nothing below you.