• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington Re-opening Day?

Greg

Staff member
Looks like far from ideal snowmaking weather this week. I'm curious if Killington will reopen this weekend or just wait until the original anticipated opening of November 11. I have to imagine the next time they open will be for the season. Thoughts?

JimG.

Staff member
God I'm so pumped for the 11th. End of summer season clean up was upon me big time so I couldn't get out this past weekend; too far to drive to Wildcat anyway, but I probably could have day tripped to K. Oh well.

The only thing I was knee deep in was leaves :angry: !

Vortex

I can't find a good long range forecast. (Well one I like what they say) Looks like a couple nights this week and a couple next week will be in the marginal temps range for snow making. Hopefully thats enough. Looks like that is the temp range for next week to 10 days.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm in a position where I'd like to see my mtns (Cannon, Sunapee) open. Burke is saying Dec 10th, which seems late.

Sunapee/Cannon are shooting for Nov 25th which would be great IMHO.

Greg

Staff member
ALLSKIING said:
I think they will just wait for the 11th. Its only 2 weeks.
Actually, it's only roughly 10 days, 20 hours, and 45 minutes... :beer:

Greg

Staff member
Bob R said:
If they don't re-open this weekend... will they be able to open up next weekend. The weather looks the same.
God, I hope so...

Sky

JimG. said:
The only thing I was knee deep in was leaves :angry: !

Amen Brotha!

And only about half of the leaves have dropped off those Oak trees...and this funky Cut-leaf Maple I have is holding on to its leaves for dear life.

Between the leaf-blower, the rake, the mower...it was a busy Sunday (rain/snow event Saturday).

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Greg said:
Looks like far from ideal snowmaking weather this week. I'm curious if Killington will reopen this weekend or just wait until the original anticipated opening of November 11. I have to imagine the next time they open will be for the season. Thoughts?
i concur 100% greg. especially after having seen the beating the lower slopes at wildcat took on sunday. i would imagine kmart saw similar degrading conditions down low which despite packing is melting rapidly. i don't foresee good cover on lower mountain at kmart or wildcat (which got more natural snow although kmart did blow...) for the coming weekend. it wouldn't matter any way, even with good cover, there isn't enough hype from a storm to drive enough skiers to the slopes prior to the big opening day weekend. definitely look for kmart to open for the season on the 11th pending next week has adequate snow making temps. the current snow pack will definitely help at higher elevation but kmart is going to have to blow a lot to reopen lower mountain and increase coverage at mid-mountain once the melting gets going.

JimG.

Staff member
Just had a depressing chat with my local weather guru, the guy who calls me 2-3 days in advance of just about every powder day I've had in the past 10 years. This guy is rarely wrong.

The next 2 weeks will not be good at all for snowmaking. He predicts Killington MAY be able to START making snow late next week but not enough to open on the 11th or that weekend. He predicts opening day will occur the week of the 14th sometime.

!@#$%^&*()_+?{}|<>?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

freeheelwilly

JimG. said:
Just had a depressing chat with my local weather guru, the guy who calls me 2-3 days in advance of just about every powder day I've had in the past 10 years. This guy is rarely wrong.

The next 2 weeks will not be good at all for snowmaking. He predicts Killington MAY be able to START making snow late next week but not enough to open on the 11th or that weekend. He predicts opening day will occur the week of the 14th sometime.

!@#$%^&*()_+?{}|<>?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

That's weird. Not that accuweather is great but it's calling for warm temps through upcoming Sunday and then a significant cool down through the end of the long term forecast (15 days). (Highs in 40s, lows in 20s) That forecast was for Wilmington, New York (Whiteface). Don't bum me out dude!

Greg

Staff member
We're quickly approaching winter in the Northeast. Any forecast beyond 3 or 4 days should be taken with a grain of salt.