• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Last Push

slatham

I saw a few guns up top on Stratton yesterday, I read a comment that they were also on Black Bear. But it was not a full-on attack like Superstar.

drjeff

So, as of this Wednesday morning, Killington, Sunday River and Loon were all blowing snow. Anyone else putting down some extra depth this late?
Stratton had some guns running in the general Summit area yesterday as well. And from what one of my friends who as he puts it "goes both ways" (inside joke in that he has both and Epic and Ikon as well as is both a skier and boarder ;) ) mentioned when I saw him in a bar at Mount Snow this past Sunday afternoon was that after skiing Stratton last Saturday and Mount Snow on Sunday, he felt that Stratton was in danger of loosing Summit access very soon due to lack of snow near there, even though their coverage once you got say 50 yards down the hill was still quite good.

Sounds like this may of been more of a "keep it going to make their planned closing" than an effort to extend their season on their part

slatham

Sounds like this may of been more of a "keep it going to make their planned closing" than an effort to extend their season on their part
IIRC even pre-Alterra they would never go beyond stated close date. Same for open too (although there might have been an exception a few November's ago). But generally they have an open date, close date, and run daily between the two. Has to be a major event to deviate IMHO. So they are making snow up top to simply make the Sunday 4/17 close.

machski

IIRC even pre-Alterra they would never go beyond stated close date. Same for open too (although there might have been an exception a few November's ago). But generally they have an open date, close date, and run daily between the two. Has to be a major event to deviate IMHO. So they are making snow up top to simply make the Sunday 4/17 close.
That's fine. Given the weather this season, if they are blowing snow I'll call it a stretch play even if just to get to their already marked finish date.

skiur

Sunday night thru Tuesday will be some low temps for some good production.

JDMRoma

Certainly was nice to see them Blowing snow this late in the season ! Will Hit Loon Friday and SR on Saturday.

Zermatt

Stratton had some guns running in the general Summit area yesterday as well. And from what one of my friends who as he puts it "goes both ways" (inside joke in that he has both and Epic and Ikon as well as is both a skier and boarder ;) ) mentioned when I saw him in a bar at Mount Snow this past Sunday afternoon was that after skiing Stratton last Saturday and Mount Snow on Sunday, he felt that Stratton was in danger of loosing Summit access very soon due to lack of snow near there, even though their coverage once you got say 50 yards down the hill was still quite good.

Earlier in March the summit of Stratton was pretty much bare or pure water ice after the big heat wave and high dewpoints. They've been blasting the summit with snow whenever they can.

Zand

Just got up to K for a couple of days. No snow at all at Skyeship except for a narrow ribbon on GE. Too foggy to see anything from the access road, just hoping it's warm enough to soften up tomorrow.

Newpylong

Yes, Stratton's was just to remain open. That summit get BAKED quick.

SR's was show snow.

Not sure where Loon was making snow? They are a sleeping snowmaking giant.

K obviously adding whenever they can to SS and other high traffic areas with southern exposure. Stage I is done after this weekend.

Edd

I’m off Monday, Tuesday, and Friday this coming week. Not sure where to go at the moment. I’m at 31 days and the season feels like it’s slipping away too soon.

jimmywilson69

Will be curious to see if K fires up the guns Starting Sunday. At those Temps they could seriously add some depth.

1648236497220.png

machski

SR might light the system again too, very surprised to see a number trails with hose still connected to guns. White Heat and Cascade was not just show snow, they definitely added depth to those two trails. Very impressed with how the mountain has weathered the warmth, everything with snowmaking skiing extremely well still. More natural than I thought holding on too, iCarumba! in Jordan open on natural alone (appropriate for Jordan sendoff weekend) and I even found several tree lines still plenty skiable and fun today. Unless we get summer warmth, no doubt the River makes it's planned 4/24 close with ease.

Newpylong

Regardless of how much ended up being put down, Dana saw Superstar lit up top to bottom and wanted in on the action because that is just how he is when it comes to optics between them and K. It helped the customer in the end (competition is good) but the intent was visual. The bottom of White Cap will melt out far before White Heat.

Last edited:

machski

Regardless of how much ended up being put down, Dana saw Superstar lit up top to bottom and wanted in on the action because that is just how he is when it comes to optics between them and K. It helped the customer in the end (competition is good) but the intent was visual. The bottom of White Cap will melt out far before White Heat.
Perhaps, but they put down a much deeper base with more consistent efforts this year on lower Starlight than the past several seasons. That looks deep enough to me to last through 4/17, which would likely be the last weekend for White Cap base and Shipyard. White Heat isn't all that deep ad honestly, if they turn the guns back on Sun-Tues, they need to ht the top of Obsession more on WC. The rock is already beginning to show up.

Newpylong

For some reason I thought they shut White Cap down the first week of April, oops. Better water delivery for Starlight now. By this time usually they're on their third dig up of Roadrunner lol. It was a struggle to make snow anywhere over there.

It will be interesting to see the difference the booster station will make getting water to the Western reaches next year.