• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Let's see if this has any legs!

MadMadWorld

I never bought into the adage that a skier can form bumps better. A boarder that understands how moguls form can do just as good of a job.

abc

I never bought into the adage that a skier can form bumps better. A boarder that understands how moguls form can do just as good of a job.
Trouble is, it takes more than one skier to form bumps. Or more than one boarder.

Tell me there're a lot of boarders "understands how moguls form"...

(I'm not a choosy bump skier, I ski any, even though I do find some differences)

Scruffy

Oh, you GOOG the fact Augusta National has roughly 300 members?

Great, now GOOG who they are and a little bit about the history of the tournament and perhaps you'll gain a sense of how foolish you sound.

I don't have to, I work for one of them. And, I know a little bit about the history and some of the back story. You presume too much, but that seems to be your MO. The only one sounding foolish is you my friend because you can't bit 2-2 together. Now, let's stop c#@ting up this thread and move on; it's not about Augusta National or the Masters.

MadMadWorld

In other news, the upper mountain opens back up tomorrow. Anyone heading up there for Roll Back the Clock? $3.50 next Tuesday!

BenedictGomez

I know a little bit about the history and some of the back story.

Obviously not or you wouldn't have made a statement representing the antithesis of said "history".

Trouble is, it takes more than one skier to form bumps. Or more than one boarder.

Tell me there're a lot of boarders "understands how moguls form"...

Again, it's a problem of less skilled snowboarders and kids that do the "mogul mashing" - competent snowboarders can negotiate the baby moguls that are in the process of forming, with ease. And 95% of snowboarders will avoid legitimate mogul trails like the plague anyhow, so once you have a solid mogul field in place, snowboarders aren't going to damage it.

IMO, young snowboarders are enemy #1 to growing moguls, because for some reason they think it's cool to go down "lumpty" terrain, except they cant, so they just side-scrape for 50 yards. Scritchshhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Ugh, it's like daggers to my ears.

steamboat1

IMO, young snowboarders are enemy #1 to growing moguls, because for some reason they think it's cool to go down "lumpty" terrain, except they cant, so they just side-scrape for 50 yards. Scritchshhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Ugh, it's like daggers to my ears.

It's not only in the moguls but everywhere. Why do they even bother, how much fun can that be?

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's not only in the moguls but everywhere. Why do they even bother, how much fun can that be?

Judging by the smiles I see on the faces of young learning snowboarders (and skiers).....very fun.

I know I had a blast as a youth barely surviving the expert trails. It was a complete rush just to make it down Outer Limits as a 9 year old. The experience made me want to get better so I could ski those trails like the expert skiers I looked up to making it down with ease. With years of practice, I eventually could.

Let's face it. We all sucked at one point or another. If we weren't having fun, we wouldn't have stuck with the sport.

steamboat1

Judging by the smiles I see on the faces of young learning snowboarders (and skiers).....very fun.

I know I had a blast as a youth barely surviving the expert trails. It was a complete rush just to make it down Outer Limits as a 9 year old. The experience made me want to get better so I could ski those trails like the expert skiers I looked up to making it down with ease. With years of practice, I eventually could.

Let's face it. We all sucked at one point or another. If we weren't having fun, we wouldn't have stuck with the sport.
Very few boarders ever learn to ride moguls. Scritchshhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Ugh, it's like daggers to my ears.

jack97

Very few boarders ever learn to ride moguls. Scritchshhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Ugh, it's like daggers to my ears.

MRG has trails that are less steep that would be great for skiers and riders to get better.

C-Rex

I guess you must've been born an expert. Have you ever tried snowboarding? Something tells me the answer is no. Do you realize that snowboarding is, in most opinions, much more difficult to learn (as a beginner, skiing is harder to become an expert at) than skiing? Going from edge to edge is a very unnatural movement and it takes a long time to get the balance, muscle control, and feel down to where it's second nature. But when it finally clicks, the feeling is amazing. You're literally surfing the earth.

How about this? We'll meet up at a mountain. I'll rent skis (I've never been on them before) and you rent a board. We'll see who's doing better at the end of the day.

MadMadWorld

+1

BenedictGomez

Do you realize that snowboarding is, in most opinions, much more difficult to learn (as a beginner, skiing is harder to become an expert at) than skiing?

You've said this before......in several threads.....it's not true.

As someone who worked 6 winters at one of the larger beginner areas on the east coast, I promise you it's false.

It also flies in the face of generally accepted convention.

Snowboarding is easier to learn than skiing, and it's obvious if you simply look at XYZ cohort of never-ever boarders and XYZ cohort of never-ever skiers who arrive at the resort on the same day of a 7 day vacation. The boarders will, on balance, be more advanced than the skiers at "go home time" of day 7.

As for which is harder to become an "expert" at, I have no idea. Havent really thought about that, and I dont have the same experience to know.

MadMadWorld

You've said this before......in several threads.....it's not true.

As someone who worked 6 winters at one of the larger beginner areas on the east coast, I promise you it's false.

It also flies in the face of generally accepted convention.

Snowboarding is easier to learn than skiing, and it's obvious if you simply look at XYZ cohort of never-ever boarders and XYZ cohort of never-ever skiers who arrive at the resort on the same day of a 7 day vacation. The boarders will, on balance, be more advanced than the skiers at "go home time" of day 7.

As for which is harder to become an "expert" at, I have no idea. Havent really thought about that, and I dont have the same experience to know.

There is no data to back either side of the argument. Everyone differs in their observation and experiences. Through my experience I believe snowboarding is harder to learn. Although I will say that I learned to snowboard in my 20s and ski when I was 4 so my opinion is based purely on observation. I couldn't tell you if becoming an expert at skiing is harder since I am at best an intermediate boarder.

BenedictGomez

I wasn't even talking about beginners.

What do you mean then? Advanced snowboarders dont mogul mash.

If you hear the dreaded Scritchshhhhhhhhhhhhhh sound, it's pretty much a given they're not good snowboarders.

Through my experience I believe snowboarding is harder to learn. Although I will say that I learned to snowboard in my 20s and ski when I was 4 so my opinion is based purely on observation.

Yes, you've said that before in the same thread I was referencing, and you cant base it on that, as you're inserting flawed logic into the calculus. You need to look at it from the standpoint of similar cohorts starting from precisely the same baseline, just like a scientific study would.