• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Long Trail Harvest Ale

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Bought a sixer of Long Trail Hit the Trail Ale...

I wasn't too impressed. The bottle claimed an "smooth, sweet finish." I call that a watery finish.

Perhaps it's just the nature of the style, as I don't drink brown ales too often, but while I enjoyed the subtle caramel overtones with almost a hint of maple syrup, I couldn't get around the weakness. Like I said in a previous post, this one needs just a little bit of bite from a bit more carbonation or hop bitterness to balance the "smooth" characteristic.

ctenidae

I'd agree with that assessment, Marc. Hit the Trail doesn't quite hit the spot. More than hops or carbonation, I think it would be better served with a better malt to kind of thicken the flavor up a bit.

TenPeaks

If you guys like brown ales try the Smuttynose Old Brown Dog. One of the best brown's out there IMHO.

Oh, I almost forget Pig's Ear brown fresh from the tap at the Woodstock Inn. It doesn't get any better than that!

ctenidae

I've had the Smuttynose, but I can't remember the taste specifically. I have an overall "Not Impressed" opinion of Smuttynose products, but I don't have any specific reasons for that.

skibum1321

I was pounding back Mtn Ale this weekend. That stuff will get you drunk pretty quick too. Definitely one of my favorite beers.

ctenidae

Had a few of the Sam Adams 375's Friday. Not overly impressed. Sort of sour tasting,w ith too much clovey spice at the end. On the other hand, not a beer it would be hard to drink too many of.

kickstand

ctenidae said:
Had a few of the Sam Adams 375's Friday. Not overly impressed. Sort of sour tasting,w ith too much clovey spice at the end. On the other hand, not a beer it would be hard to drink too many of.

oh, I had one on Thursday and thought it was great. Could probably only drink 2 per sitting, but it is good stuff. Wish I could get it in bottles.

MtnMagic

A group of us used to go to the Pour House when I lived in the area. Nice food, drink, and atmosphere. I don't know about now, but years ago at noon during the week it was always jambed. A waitress would be dressed in a skimpy costume and come out doing one fine dance that was sure bet for a great laugh. Reason being she had a hot dog hanging out both sides of her mouth. Hilariously funny because that was not the first thing one noticed!

TenPeaks

ctenidae said:
Had Cape Ann Brewing's Fisherman Ale Saturday. Tasty tasty brew. Very smooth going in, nice touch of spice and malt, great hops bang on the back end, that didn't linger too long. Low-ish carbonation, smooth creamy head, nice color. Good stuff.

http://www.capeannbrewing.com/aboutthebrew6.html

I went on a tour of the Cape Ann Brewery a couple weeks ago. They make a great amber lager and will be introducing an IPA next spring (I got a sneak preview and it's very tasty!!!). They are also introducing a limited release winter beer in 22oz. bombers sometime in early December. It's very well balanced and not overly spicy like other winter beers.

Fisherman's brew was recently launched in Maine and is available in Mass. and the NYC area. I'd recommened the beer to anyone looking for a well balanced tasty beer.

disclaimer: I don't work for Cape Ann Brewing Co. I'm just a fan.