• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon expansion

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i drove down 93 on thursday en route to hampton (alice in chains concert, w00t!!!) and the view from the highway looks like they might have cleared the trails. any one have a confirmation on that? those trails used to look pretty over grown from 93 but i swear they were down to the grass last week.

AdironRider

I was friends with the director of ski school last year and he seemed optimistic that theyd be open for the upcoming season. However this was in December last year. Theres a pretty large development plan and two trails have already been cut, but from the looks of things this summer when Ive been by, they wont be open this year.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
awf170 said:
way more important then Loons crappy expansion. So how was it? How was the new singer, obvious not as good as Lanye, but still okay?
actually, the substitute singer for layne was kinda better than layne was. seeeeriously.

but back on topic, i wouldn't consider the expansion crappy, they have some nice terrain to develop. the trails have actually been cut for a loooooong time, before all the red tape. i would be surprised if they made the expansion for this season as it is kinda late to get a lift built on time and i haven't heard of any construction details. so i would suspect 07-08, but why mow the trails now if that was the case?

awf170

riverc0il said:
actually, the substitute singer for layne was kinda better than layne was. seeeeriously.

but back on topic, i wouldn't consider the expansion crappy, they have some nice terrain to develop. the trails have actually been cut for a loooooong time, before all the red tape. i would be surprised if they made the expansion for this season as it is kinda late to get a lift built on time and i haven't heard of any construction details. so i would suspect 07-08, but why mow the trails now if that was the case?
I was just kidding about the crappy expansion thing. I don't really know anything about the expansion nor care. Now AIC stuff, that is important and sounds truly awesome. Do you know if there is anywhere online where i can get a sound clip or anything of it? Hmm... I wonder if my cousin went.

BTW: the black guy doesn't have a name?

Last edited:

Vortex

I was at Loon on sunday for a bit. did the gondola up thing, They had a scavenger hunt for the kids and they like exploring the caves. Did not look much different than the spring to me. I did not go on the road on Loon's side of the river. This spring road work and land was being worked on and cleared near the horse barns.

stomachdoc

The South Peak real estate development is already being aggressively marketed; I'm sure that having the trails cleared and visible to prospective buyers is more attractive than overgrown trails.

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
If you have ever taken a walk or have Xcountry skied the East Trails at Loon, you will hardly recognize them now! All of the trails are practically gone! The roads are being put in, and the lots are aselling pretty well. No new cutting on the South Peak Trails, what you see for trails there are from the original cut...... sixteen years ago.

The season of 2007-08 is the prospect for those trails to be serviced by the 'Lincoln Express' HSDQ.:spin:

I posted some pictures of the construction for South Peak Resort. Just click on the website below.

Last edited:

blacknblue

I was speaking with a realtor in Lincoln the other day and she was quite excited about the project. It seems like it is finally being realized and there are no more hurdles to expanding the trails and a new little base area in town. I can't remember the exact timetable for everything, but I remember thinking that it seemed pretty aggressive (ie. soon) -- definitely in the next 16 months.

skiNEwhere

anyone heard anything new about this expansion? I remember i was skiing at loon in 2000 and they actually had the "proposed expansion" put on the trail map. Seven years later and I still don't see any progress

millerm277

skier90

What ive heard is the two lifts and only two trails opening this December and they’ll open one trail a year after this.

awf170

way more important then Loons crappy expansion. So how was it? How was the new singer, obvious not as good as Lanye, but still okay?

Still more important then Loon expansion. Going to see them on tomorrow. Yay!

Back on topic: Two trails and a HSQ?! Those trails are going to get nasty very quickly.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
This is a pretty nice view up to Franconia Notch...

080807-4.jpg

stomachdoc

Still more important then Loon expansion. Going to see them on tomorrow. Yay!

Back on topic: Two trails and a HSQ?! Those trails are going to get nasty very quickly.

Also nasty is the mood of Loon season passholders forced to pay $200 more for two trails!

skier90

"Also nasty is the mood of Loon season passholders forced to pay $200 more for two trails!"

You can always get the black out pass and ski waterville or cranmore when loon is blacked out. Than your only paying $50 more. Their are more trails that will be cut. It would have been nice for the price incrise to be pushed back untill a decent amount of terrain is added but the early it happens the sooner prices might go down in future years.