• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon Experience

skiMEbike

I debated posting in the TR vs general forum, but decided this is more a PSA on what to expect (or not) expect at Loon. I had heard about the Loon stereotypes: "crowded" "lack of challenging terrain", "groomers", etc... As Boyne passholders for many years, we had talked about trying Loon for a number of years, but never got around to it with Sugarloaf & SRiver closer to home. Despite the stereotypes & other options closer to home, we committed to a long weekend for our first ski trip to Loon.

Arriving on Friday afternoon, we were only able to ski a few runs on primarily groomed trails with firm very scratchy conditions. At this point, my expectations were still in check, because I am not going to fault the mountain for the hand mother nature dealt. The next day we were able to see more of the mountain, and YES it was crowded but still my expectations were in check (as I fully expected the crowds on Saturday). As we skied more & more terrain, I began to discover EVERY trail is the same: groomed flat. I expected lack of challenge at Loon, but I didn't expect lack of ANY challenge....I was fully expecting to find some bumps here & there on some trails, some spots on the edge where you could ride the groom line to mix it up; however nothing. Finally on Saturday, I was able to break away from the family & explore in search of something "different". Headed over to East Basin chair, and at last I saw some bump runs (or should I say 1/2 of a bump run) on Bigger Dipper & Triple Trouble, but I was crushed when I saw the rope across the trails...While the conditions may have not been ideal, the trails were definitely skiable, and couldn't understand why they'd be roped.

I decided to go into the ski patrol "shack" to see if I could "convince" them to open the trail or allow me to ski it. Upon entering the "shack", I was shocked at how nice the "shack" was....You'd swear I had walked into a two bedroom townhouse: Carpeted, nice comfy furniture, painted & decorated nicely....Most ski patrol shacks I've seen are exactly that: a shack with barely a seat to sit in & barely suitable for animals. The 2nd observation which stood out to me was the sheer number of patrol just sitting around the townhouse (or shack)...It was the most ski patrol personnel I'd seen congregating in one area (there had to be at least 10 or more patrollers). At this point, I felt out-numbered & out of place, so needless to say the interaction did not go as tactfully as I'd hope. I proceeded to ask why the trails were roped & if there was any chance to ski them...The first answer was "Well they are closed", so I followed up with a "why"....They then proceeded with this BS of explaining to me while some may be able to ski the trail, they felt the conditions were dangerous enough that people could get in over their heads & get hurt. I followed up with well isn't that why you have trail designations of Expert to alert people to those type of conditions...And they continued on to tell me that it is really not safe for me or anyone to ski the trail....blah blah blah...so I asked if they would allow me to ski it & they said they would take my pass. At one point the ski patrol said, "we are an intermediate mountain", which kind of surprised me that they would admit it (even though it is obvious). I proceeded to ask is there anywhere here where I go to ski something other than a totally flat groomer...The response from Patrol was: "go to Cannon". Seriously? I should have responded with "and you will always be an intermediate mountain with that attitude, and by never giving your patrons any options to challenge themselves". I proceeded to ask the group if they offered boundary to boundary skiing while most responded with "no" one patroller said "yes"...At that point, I stormed out of the "shack" saying well one of you said yes & that is all I need to hear. I did not ski the closed trails, but proceeded to sneak in the woods to ski Walking Boss woods...while it was not great conditions in the woods, it was satisfying to ski something different.

Needless to say, the third day of my trip was pleasant, since I had now lowered my expectations even more, and the mountain received an inch of snow which made the groomers more pleasant...after 2+ hours of skiing early morning, I had enough packed & the car to head home. North Peak & South Peak chairs/trails were "fun" for a while & primarily ski on the chair, but it is not something I would go back for....And WTF is with "North" peak being south of "South" peak, I guess that should have been a clue for what to expect at Looney.

snoseek

I Like Loon a lot on a midweek day. I also am by default thankful that any patrol is willing to be there for me in case shit goes bad. A lot os asked of those folks and training is constant....they are underpaid IMO....as are most other ski area employees. If they got carpet, great, they deserve a disco ball as far as I'm concerned. Also maybe patrol wasn't even the one making that call. Mountain ops? Maybe you were the 15th guy to storm into the patrol shack that day demanding answers. Maybe that trail was a fucking bloodbath the day before

deadheadskier

Staff member
Should've just saved the aggravation and ducked the rope. That's what I did at Loon when I found something roped that was skiable.

Last edited:

Highway Star

Management dictates to Patrol how things are to be run. Loon is an intermediate mountain, and they know it. Lots of gapers and families from eastern MA and southern NH. Deal with it.

skiMEbike

Should've just saved the aggravation and ducked the rope. That's what I did at Loon when I found something roped that was skiable.

Had I been a day ticket only...I definitely would have done that, but did not want to risk having the corner of my pass clipped & missing out skiing this coming weekend.

snoseek

Many years ago I was skiing loon with some friends, jumping lines at triple trouble and skiing it, was very firm. Riding up East Basin we saw 3 people also duck in. One fell into an uncontrolled slide, the two others took off their skis (terrible idea) and tried to deal with the situation. All three were flown out....I believe two died. I knew it was not good but in awe as I listened to it on the NPR news on my drive home.

TL;DR-just because you can safely ski it doesn't make it safe for the general public.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
They then proceeded with this BS of explaining to me while some may be able to ski the trail, they felt the conditions were dangerous enough that people could get in over their heads & get hurt.

Actually, given their clientele, I think this is spot on. I was there on President's Weekend (I know), but they had gotten 2' of snow during the week leading up, with no freeze/thaws in over a month, however a lot of the trails were scraped down to ice. I couldn't understand it, until I went down Rip Saw and saw intermediate after intermediate snowplow down the headwall on the steepest part of the trail and scraping all the snow off. Repeat across the mountain, and you get (1) terrible conditions in the most difficult parts of the mountain and (2) most of their customers who either expect the blacks to be the same as the blues or don't pay attention to the trail designations because they want to say they skied a black. Either way, it's a dangerous situation, and no fun for an advanced skier.

I proceeded to ask is there anywhere here where I go to ski something other than a totally flat groomer...The response from Patrol was: "go to Cannon".

This is funny.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Had I been a day ticket only...I definitely would have done that, but did not want to risk having the corner of my pass clipped & missing out skiing this coming weekend.

Those situations I just say I'm new to the mountain and was skiing the trees and popped out on the closed trail. sorry officer!

hammer

Strangely enough, I found the other blacks on South Peak to be more challenging than Ripsaw. Ripsaw does have the one headwall but the rest of the trail seemed to be more manageable.

Stinks about the rope situation. If a black or double black would be OK for an advanced skier then it should be open.

skiMEbike

Actually, given their clientele, I think this is spot on. I was there on President's Weekend (I know), but they had gotten 2' of snow during the week leading up, with no freeze/thaws in over a month, however a lot of the trails were scraped down to ice. I couldn't understand it, until I went down Rip Saw and saw intermediate after intermediate snowplow down the headwall on the steepest part of the trail and scraping all the snow off. Repeat across the mountain, and you get (1) terrible conditions in the most difficult parts of the mountain and (2) most of their customers who either expect the blacks to be the same as the blues or don't pay attention to the trail designations because they want to say they skied a black. Either way, it's a dangerous situation, and no fun for an advanced skier.

I agree with your first point to some degree, however I would argue that it is safer (& preferable) to ski steep iced up bumps vs a steep iced groomer (which it what it was like everywhere else on the mountain).

The problem with #2 point is that is idiotic to way to run a mountain...I totally understand that is the type of clientele that this place attracts, but this approach continues to foster thr lack of responsibility for ones actions which ultimately reinforces the United Suits (as in lawsuits) of America mentality.

snoseek

East Basin has a weird double fall line, hence my previous story.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-1st-circuit/1173655.html

here's the incident. I bet these people saw us lapping that day and decided to do it as well. I watched the whole thing and IMO nobody "slipped" under any ropes. I guess I could be wrong.

Last edited:

skiMEbike

Those situations I just say I'm new to the mountain and was skiing the trees and popped out on the closed trail. sorry officer!

I've had bad luck with that approach in the past....After being sentenced to "ski prison" for 3 days at Loon, I need to cleanse myself at the Loaf this weekend.

here's the incident. I bet these people saw us lapping that day and decided to do it as well.

A local had told me of the story on a chair ride, which could explain why they may be gun shy, but still no need of it IMO.

C-Rex

The problem with #2 point is that is idiotic to way to run a mountain...I totally understand that is the type of clientele that this place attracts, but this approach continues to foster thr lack of responsibility for ones actions which ultimately reinforces the United Suits (as in lawsuits) of America mentality.

+1

I completely disagree with everyone's opinion that the mountain is right to "protect" it's clientele. They are reinforcing irresponsible behavior and decision making. Issuing warnings, ratings, and info about conditions is all they should be responsible for. That attitude is why no one takes personal responsibility anymore. Everyone just believes, "Well, I'm allowed to do it so it must be safe." I'm not willing to give up my freedoms in the name of safety. I'm so tired of the bubble wrapping and dumbing down of our society. It's pathetic.

Highway Star

HAHAHAHAAHHAA!!!1

Whew....seriously?

+1

I completely disagree with everyone's opinion that the mountain is right to "protect" it's clientele. They are reinforcing irresponsible behavior and decision making. Issuing warnings, ratings, and info about conditions is all they should be responsible for. That attitude is why no one takes personal responsibility anymore. Everyone just believes, "Well, I'm allowed to do it so it must be safe." I'm not willing to give up my freedoms in the name of safety. I'm so tired of the bubble wrapping and dumbing down of our society. It's pathetic.

HHAHAHAHHHHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHhaHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Damn.

I'm thinking you should go out in the woods and live by yourself, survival of the fittest and all. You're far too good for our wimpy little civilization.

Cannonball

Loon is what it is. It's within walking distance from my house, yet I get in the car to drive to Cannon. Everything described in the OP is spot on. They groom edge to edge, they close trails at the first whiff of imperfection, etc. But how can you really knock them? They are a money-printing machine. People pour into that place every day. They drive the economy of this town and beyond. They would be nuts to change any bit of their perfectly run operation. For every customer like the OP (or me) that they lose because of the way they run things, they get 100+ others who LOVE it. Loon's biggest business challenge is probably where to park more of the people clamoring to pay full price, walk-up rates.

blue_ox

Loon skied terrible on Saturday, very firm to icy. I can understand why they didn't want anyone on triple trouble. Sunday afternoon skied much better with no crowds and a few inches of fresh snow. With Loon you just have to get there early to get your runs in. If everything is open it's very enjoyable. Last Saturday is a good example, it was crowded but the conditions were excellent. Cruiser, glade, repeat all day and triple trouble skied great. 5 mins in a lift line helps the legs recover.

Highway Star

here's the incident. I bet these people saw us lapping that day and decided to do it as well. I watched the whole thing and IMO nobody "slipped" under any ropes. I guess I could be wrong.

Amazing. Found a news article reporting they were from PA and "at least" intermediate skiers:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AAIBAJ&sjid=Lk4NAAAAIBAJ&pg=1418,103572&hl=en

Here's a thread at newschoolers discussing how they have an unusually high incidence of fall-side-death accidents.

http://www.newschoolers.com/forum/thread/530088/Accident-at-Loon-Mtn-

I'm going to guess it's a combination of overgrooming (and not producing enough loose snow), lack of natural snow, and a large number of overly aggressive low ablity level skiers with inexperience on potentially dangerous terrain.

I've seen a decent number of bad slides at killington, but for the most part people look at the steep, icy (menacing) trails and use some decent judgement. They generally close the steeps after a thaw-freeze, until they can really get a wench cat on it to til up the surface and produce loose snow that can help stop a slide.

hammer

Go back to Loon!!!!!!!!!!!!

Said when someone does someting stupid at Cannon.
The one time I went to Cannon it wasn't a good day...poor visibility with 2 inches of manky snow over ice. Now I wonder how many of the more seasoned folks said this as they whizzed by me...