• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

March 1 and 2 who going where

xwhaler

Agreed---Magic skied very nice on Sat when I was there. Lower Wizard was not groomed very well so that was a 1 run and done for me.Talisman was in excellent shape I thought and ROTD.
Very good crowd on Sat with STE comp (those guys were nuts shredding up on Black Magic given the conditions), 2 buses and just a good crowd both on skis and in the BLT.
Nice to see for Magic.

crank

We ended up xc skiing an trails near Sunape both Saturday and Sunday. MY GF skied Sunape Saturday afternoon and aid it was crowded and a fast surface...no great desire to return for more. I had fun on an 86 mile snowmobile trip which left me with a case of "throttle thumb". Both the XC and the sledding were great!

4aprice

Sounds pretty cool. How much does the program cost (ex-equipment)? And do some kids from the local area (NJ, ePA) get good enough that they do get college scholarships, or is being raised at <=1000 foot vertical generally typically too much a handicap to overcome?

The top kids definitely hold their own, nationally. PA is a good state to train in with all the crap they get to ski on. (Racers like to ski on pavement). It's not cheap with Club fees, race skis and pads, and race fees aren't that cheap either, but not out of line with most other sports. It was a good high school sport for the boy but just like say football, only a few go on to play college, and a very few of those go on to bigger and better things. For the real talented there are academies (like KMS etc). US ski team has what, 12 slots? He talks about continuing racing but knows its going to be on his own dime. Me thinks he needs to get into moguls or BC or something.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Agreed---Magic skied very nice on Sat when I was there. Lower Wizard was not groomed very well so that was a 1 run and done for me.Talisman was in excellent shape I thought and ROTD.
Very good crowd on Sat with STE comp (those guys were nuts shredding up on Black Magic given the conditions), 2 buses and just a good crowd both on skis and in the BLT.
Nice to see for Magic.
+10 on Talisman as ROTD on Sunday. Must have done that one five times. Took a spin down under the black chair. Not too bad. Actually for all the firmness, everything was very edge-able on the un-groomed. You just had to jam it hard. For my condition I was only able to do that for a couple hours before I tired out.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I looked for you Bill but didn't see you.
I was looking for you guys too - I skied until closing and thought you might have quit early, but I wasn't about to go in and find out. You point out the biggest problem that Magic has; Between no lines and ski till you drop trails, it was like a perpetual motion machine. It was the perfect storm for not seeing you! Kind of funny, isn't it? Sweet snow showers all morning.

I left right after the lifts closed as I had a date with a mountain much further north. My hand was forced because Magic isn't open on Mondays. Monday is the easiest day for me to get away this year.

Abominable

I looked for you Bill but didn't see you. I made a few runs with Abominable in the afternoon as well as a couple of pints and a shot. We may or may not have hit tuna speedTM on Talisman lol. The groomers were skiing great all day and were not skied off at all. Last run was on Sorcerer which was groomed on Saturday but enough snow was thrown around by skiers for some decent bumps to form on the edges of the trail. It was a blast

JR - fun skiing, glad we hooked up. Had a great six days of skiing. Billski, sorry we missed you, next time!

Let's do it again soon, preferably after a foot of fresh.