• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mid-week Skiing / Kids

mikestaple

I agree wholeheartedly with Mikestaple. We pulled our kids out of school for a week in late January to go to Colorado two years back. Pricing for that week was about half of what it would have cost us during a school break period.

I have no problems pulling my kids out of school for family trips. The way I see it, teachers have no problem assigning homework and major projects during school downtime like Christmas and Spring breaks (including huge math packets and reading lists for the summer!) why shouldn't I give my kids a break? Time off should be time off.

Amen! And art projects on foreign countries or specific planets of the solar system for 7 year olds disguised as Social Studies or Science projects assigned the day before Thanksgiving, and due the Tuesday after, will guarantee that I yank the little ones out of school for 2 more days during the school year.

millerm277

Does anyone else ever think to themselves why they see kids on the slopes mid-week (non-holiday) and wonder why they aren't in school? It sort of bothers me, though I guess it really shouldn't. I suppose I want even more of the mountain to myself (as if I don't already seeing as I'm talking about mid-week). I also had more of a strict upbringing, and my parents would never have taken me out of school for recreational purposes. Just wondering if anyone else has ever had this cross their mind.

I missed 10+ days a year of school for skiing, from Elementary through High School. Didn't affect me a bit. Actually, it helped a lot, gave me a reason to care about school, as I definitely wasn't going to be taken out to ski if I wasn't getting good grades. Wound up with a 3.8 (unweighted) GPA from High School.

Also, midweek is a completely different atmosphere, and much better for kids to learn. What's the most crowded on the weekends? It isn't the double diamond mogul trail. It's the bunny hill, and whatever the T2B beginner run is. It gives you a completely different feel for the sport skiing on weekdays.

Vinny

We also always took our kids out of school at least a couple of days each season. We thought the family time together and the overall experience was well worth one day of school, especially at the younger ages. For their part, they were obligated to do well in all their courses for that to continue.

Years later the kids got into the colleges they were hoping for, and are doing great at their jobs. A couple outdoors with the family can do a lot of good IMO.

snoseek

I missed 10+ days a year of school for skiing, from Elementary through High School. Didn't affect me a bit. Actually, it helped a lot, gave me a reason to care about school, as I definitely wasn't going to be taken out to ski if I wasn't getting good grades. Wound up with a 3.8 (unweighted) GPA from High School.

Also, midweek is a completely different atmosphere, and much better for kids to learn. What's the most crowded on the weekends? It isn't the double diamond mogul trail. It's the bunny hill, and whatever the T2B beginner run is. It gives you a completely different feel for the sport skiing on weekdays.

Yeah this is what I was getting at. It can be used as incentive to do well. I would have been a flunky if there was no incentive, I studied hard so I could get out and ski midweek. I don't feel I missed much info at all but it's been almost 20 years since high school. OUCH!