• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most over and underrated ski resort in NE?

HowieT2

Here comes the angry NY/NJ people! Gore hasn't gotten less crowded, the lines have just gotten shorter because of faster lifts. The trails are still crowded and still get skied off all the time. Smuggs does have long liftlines but it keeps the crowds down on the actual trails. Plus, it's the only mountain that I know that offers coupons (at local ski shop) that not only offers buy one get one free lift tickets but also allows you to use them on weekends (as long as its not school vacation or holiday). Two adults can ski a Saturday for a grand total of $66! Lastly, Gore can't even come close to the terrain off of Madonna

I havent skied smuggs in years. I know the terrain is great but ive heard horror stories about the lift lines on weekends and holidays. Whats the deal?

Over- okemo

Under- smuggs and sundown. - someone had to say it- season long bumps on a small hill that gets no natty

OMFG, Sundown is freaking amazing. Temptor bumps all freaking day. Gunbarrel has decent bumps too. When I go there with my buddy that lives in New Hartford, I get in maybe 25-30 runs a day. No lines!

MadMadWorld

I havent skied smuggs in years. I know the terrain is great but ive heard horror stories about the lift lines on weekends and holidays. Whats the deal?

HowieT2 - Their are a few reasons. They deal with a good deal of wind on the top of Madonna and in the past 10 years they lowered the cable on the lift tower. The upside is that when Stowe is on wind hold, Smuggs is always open now. The downside is that they really can't run a HSQ at that height. The other reason they keep the double on Madonna is to keep the skier traffic down on it's more technical terrain in the same way Sugarbush has kept the Castlerock double. If they put a HSQ on top of Madonna - Lift Line, Robin's, Free Fall and Blackhole would rarely be open. They are however considering putting a HSQ on Sterling but we shall see. I don't mind waiting in lines when the lift tickets are so inexpensive.

x10003q

Here comes the angry NY/NJ people! Gore hasn't gotten less crowded, the lines have just gotten shorter because of faster lifts. The trails are still crowded and still get skied off all the time.

In the last 12 years Gore's terrain has more than doubled to 437 acres while they have added only 1 high speed lift. If you actually skied Gore you would see uncrowded trails every weekend and most holidays. The real limiting factor at Gore is the parking. This is why it is not crowded. By the way I have been skiing Gore 1-2 weekends a month since 1986.

Lastly, Gore can't even come close to the terrain off of Madonna

Who compared Gore terrain to Smuggs terrain?

I might be angry but anybody who lives where you live and drives to Gore can't be that bright.:dunce:

MadMadWorld

In the last 12 years Gore's terrain has more than doubled to 437 acres while they have added only 1 high speed lift. If you actually skied Gore you would see uncrowded trails every weekend and most holidays. The real limiting factor at Gore is the parking. This is why it is not crowded. By the way I have been skiing Gore 1-2 weekends a month since 1986.

Who compared Gore terrain to Smuggs terrain?

I might be angry but anybody who lives where you live and drives to Gore can't be that bright.:dunce:

I have family from NY with a time share not far from the mountain so I ski 2-3 days a season there on a long weekend or school vacation. You can't possibly know what I have experienced when I have been at the mountain so what's the point in arguing whether I am right or wrong? I'm giving my opinion based on my own experiences and not trying to speak for everyone else.

MadMadWorld

LOL... Stowe is south of Maddona

You're comment just proves you have no idea what you're talking about. Second of all, if you skied Vermont on a regular basis, just because something is closer in miles doesn't mean it's closer in drive time. I can get to Jay faster than I can get to MRG

Sugart

I dont see how price should be a deciding factor on whether a place is over rated or not. Skiing is a pure luxury, you dont have to ski and resorts can charge whatever people will pay.

WWF-VT

You're comment just proves you have no idea what you're talking about. Second of all, if you skied Vermont on a regular basis, just because something is closer in miles doesn't mean it's closer in drive time. I can get to Jay faster than I can get to MRG

Take a look at a map. Stowe is south of Smuggs and the only way you can get from Stowe to Smuggs in (optimistically) 20 minutes is in the summer when Rte 108 is open, otherwise you are driving around on Rte 100 and that's 45 minutes to an hour drive.

Smellytele

Take a look at a map. Stowe is south of Smuggs and the only way you can get from Stowe to Smuggs in (optimistically) 20 minutes is in the summer when Rte 108 is open, otherwise you are driving around on Rte 100 and that's 45 minutes to an hour drive.

You are missing his point. He is not talking about driving from Stowe to smuggs - He is speaking about driving from the South to both.

deadheadskier

Staff member
You are missing his point. He is not talking about driving from Stowe to smuggs - He is speaking about driving from the South to both.

What route would make it only 20 minutes further to Smuggs than Stowe? Going all the way up to St. Johnsbury on 93 and taking routes 2 and 15 across to Smuggs? I haven't done that route, but if you're going 89 to 100, Smuggs is definitely 40 minutes or so further than Stowe.

WWF-VT

What route would make it only 20 minutes further to Smuggs than Stowe? Going all the way up to St. Johnsbury on 93 and taking routes 2 and 15 across to Smuggs? I haven't done that route, but if you're going 89 to 100, Smuggs is definitely 40 minutes or so further than Stowe.

Even if you go on Rt 89 to Exit 11 it's still 40+ minutes longer to Smuggs

summit62

Here comes the angry NY/NJ people! Gore hasn't gotten less crowded, the lines have just gotten shorter because of faster lifts. The trails are still crowded and still get skied off all the time. Smuggs does have long liftlines but it keeps the crowds down on the actual trails. Plus, it's the only mountain that I know that offers coupons (at local ski shop) that not only offers buy one get one free lift tickets but also allows you to use them on weekends (as long as its not school vacation or holiday). Two adults can ski a Saturday for a grand total of $66! Lastly, Gore can't even come close to the terrain off of Madonna

This is the first time I ever heard someone describe Gore as being crowded. One of the least crowded big mountains that I know.

I agree that the terrain off Madonna at Smuggs is better than anything at Gore, Madonna provides top 3 terrain off any lift in the East in my book and is one of my underrated resorts. But Gore gets pretty darn close with the steeps on Rumor and Lies and some of the longest uninterrupted glades in the East (Cirque) and has way more variety in general. As far as the slow doubles at Smuggs, I commend them for keeping it old school. And yes, it makes for a much less crowded skiing experience on the trails. Personally, my skiing time is more limited than I would like it to be and I would rather a resort where I can choose between different trail pods (some with high speed lifts, some with fixed grips) depending on how busy a resort is, conditions, and what kind of mood i'm in.

steamboat1

Lol, I've been skiing VT. since the early 60's. I think I have a grip on what I'm talking about.