• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most overrated ski trails

skibum1321

highpeaksdrifter said:
I realize rating these 4 trails is like rating Playboy’s Miss June, July, August and Sept. We’d like to ride all 4, but somebody has to come in last. (The trails I mean).
Haha, good analogy

Greg

Staff member
highpeaksdrifter said:
I think part of the reason is because people like the name.
It is a cool name though... :)

kcyanks1

highpeaksdrifter said:
Middle Earth. Now let me qualify that pick before anyone jumps down my throat. Castlerock is identified with Sugarbush and Middle Earth is synonymous with Castlerock. IMO the Castlerock run is just as good, and Rumble and Liftline are better. However, everyone who has even heard of Sugarbush can tell you that Middle Earth is a trail there. I think part of the reason is because people like the name.

I realize rating these 4 trails is like rating Playboy’s Miss June, July, August and Sept. We’d like to ride all 4, but somebody has to come in last. (The trails I mean).

Blasphamy!! How could you insult anything off of the sacred Castlerock lift!!

In all seriousness, I think I agree that Castlerock Run is just as good, yet Middle Earch does seem to get more attention. I wouldn't have the guts to call it overrated, though :)

Greg

Staff member
kcyanks1 said:

In all seriousness, I think I agree that Castlerock Run is just as good, yet Middle Earch does seem to get more attention. I wouldn't have the guts to call it overrated, though :)
You know, on second thought, you're right. How dare you HPD! :flame:

Come on Kenny - time for a poll as to whether we ban HPD or not! ;)

2knees

kcyanks1 said:

i'll go out on a limb here and say castlerock runout does, in fact, suck.

Greg

Staff member
2knees said:
i'll go out on a limb here and say castlerock runout does, in fact, suck.
Yeah, but you should still be smiling from your time on the 'Rock as you cruise back to Gatehouse.

Chris I

How does everyone feel about ripcord at mt snow. I know this is an 'overrated' thread but i just needed to bring this up.

Awsome steepness and big bumps. I was there a few back and watched this skiier slide down 3/4 of the trail. His body caught some good air over the bumps. It was very amusing:evil: , dont worry though i reminded myself on how it must feel to be him.

Tin Woodsman

I don't know if I'd say Middle Earth is over-rated at all. Yeah a lot of people know the name, but that's more about name recognition than any particular reputation for toughness or challenge. IMO, Middle Earth really delivers on the challenge front in that it just doesn't end. It's 1700' plus of pretty solid bumps that always kill me. I really don't think any of the trails in the Rock are over-rated, especially when you compare them to the hype that Stowe's Front four get, even though the latter grouping has long been tamed. The 5 trails at the Rock (don't forget the completely forgotten and overlooked Cotilion) are still raw and in their natural state - they live up to every bit of hype they get, IMHO.

Greg

Staff member
Tin Woodsman said:
I really don't think any of the trails in the Rock are over-rated, especially when you compare them to the hype that Stowe's Front four get, even though the latter grouping has long been tamed. The 5 trails at the Rock (don't forget the completely forgotten and overlooked Cotilion) are still raw and in their natural state - they live up to every bit of hype they get, IMHO.
Interesting. Never skied the Front Four. Are they significantly easier than the 'Rock?

Time for a poll...! :idea: ;)

skibum1321

Chris I said:
How does everyone feel about ripcord at mt snow. I know this is an 'overrated' thread but i just needed to bring this up.

Awsome steepness and big bumps. I was there a few back and watched this skiier slide down 3/4 of the trail. His body caught some good air over the bumps. It was very amusing:evil: , dont worry though i reminded myself on how it must feel to be him.
I mentioned Ripcord as part of my list of overrated trails. The way I see it, there really is nothing special about the trail and it's not really hard. Hardest trail at Mount Snow doesn't mean a whole lot.

kcyanks1

Greg said:
You know, on second thought, you're right. How dare you HPD! :flame:

Come on Kenny - time for a poll as to whether we ban HPD or not! ;)

Someone else has to do the "overrated" poll, so when a key trail is left out, I'm not to blame :)

skibum1321

Greg said:
Interesting. Never skied the Front Four. Are they significantly easier than the 'Rock?

Time for a poll...! :idea: ;)
Liftline and National are about as overrated as you can get. They are wide with snowmaking and grooming now. I'm sure they used to be hard but they have been tamed significantly. Therefore these 2 runs are much easier than the Rock. Goat and Starr are entirely different beasts than Liftline/National. They are all natural and ski much more like something you would find on Castlerock or at MRG.

highpeaksdrifter

skibum1321 said:
Liftline and National are about as overrated as you can get. They are wide with snowmaking and grooming now. I'm sure they used to be hard but they have been tamed significantly. Therefore these 2 runs are much easier than the Rock. Goat and Starr are entirely different beasts than Liftline/National. They are all natural and ski much more like something you would find on Castlerock or at MRG.

IMO, Goat is as tough and hardcore as they come.

JimG.

Staff member
highpeaksdrifter said:
IMO, Goat is as tough and hardcore as they come.

Starr too...the short but steep headwall at the top is about as steep as anything on a trail map.

kcyanks1

highpeaksdrifter said:
True dat, believe it or not at Gore Rumor's headwall might be even steeper.

Well, do we need a steep headwall poll?

Have skibum1321 do it. He'll be sure not to leave out Smuggs :) I don't think I've skied anything steeper than Rumor's headwall in the east. I haven't skied Starr though. I have skied lower Ovation, which belongs in the discussion, and do not think it was as steep, but it was steep for longer.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
kcyanks1 said:
I have skied lower Ovation, which belongs in the discussion, and do not think it was as steep, but it was steep for longer.

I've said it many time, Ovation is steep, especially that lower section.. The headwall is steep, but that's a very short distance. On the lower portion I've always stated that if you were to stop, as I did once to wait for my wife, it doesn't take much to get you sliding again. Damn, I felt that if I farted I would start sliding :)

Tin Woodsman

People pretty much have it nailed w/r/t the Front Four. Liftline and National are shells of their former selves and wouldn't be out of place as single blacks at K-Mart or Southern VT. Gore and Starr are just as nasty as they've always been. Nosedive is a another old girl who's better days are behind her.

skibum1321

Tin Woodsman said:
People pretty much have it nailed w/r/t the Front Four. Liftline and National are shells of their former selves and wouldn't be out of place as single blacks at K-Mart or Southern VT. Gore and Starr are just as nasty as they've always been. Nosedive is a another old girl who's better days are behind her.
They would definitely be double blacks in southern VT. You seem to forget that single blacks are always groomed in southern VT ;).