• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow improvements for 08/09

drjeff

5-10% per year = 75$ next year, 80-85 year after that.

Keep adding 3 to 5 million worth of fan guns and a couple of shiny new lifts in a year or 2, and I really don't think that alot of folks would have too much of a problem with that (especially as long as they keep grilling up some really tasty $5.75 cheeseburgers like they have been lately ;) )

Plus, remember, Mount Snow is/was the holder of the title of "The longest '07-08 season in Vermont" (unless of course Sugarbush can spin the lifts for 5 more days this year)

Mount Snow has an owner who is treating it like not just a flagship resort for Peak Resorts, but a flagship resort for ALL of New England, and I for one am REAL happy with that

WoodCore

Fan guns have been the way to go for years they can produce when temps are right. The Low E guns are good for tax credit, but they still use air and not as produtive as a air less gun. Bannana belt resorts have been using this airless system for 10 - 15 years. They can produce alot of snow in a short peroid of time. Some fan guns can pump out 200 gpm. Thats using water....

Just to correct you and set the record straight, Fan Guns need compressed air to make snow! Most fans including the ones at Mt Snow have an on-board electric compressor which eliminates the need for "hill" air and the diesel compressors in the parking lot that provide it.

In addition, although I'm not sure about the tax credit (maybe a possibility), the low "E"nergy guns are similiar to the fan guns in that they are very efficient in their use of the compressed air. Although they are not as productive as the fans at borderline temps, when optimal temps are reached, they both can make a ton of high quality snow in a short time while saving substantial amounts of energy as compared to conventional air/water guns.

:snow:

P.S. Here's a picture of the largest fan gun ever produced. Hedco's World Machine. Capable of handling 750+ gpm!!!!!

WorldMachine.jpg

jaywbigred

I for one was very impressed w Mt. Snow's snowmaking (and commitment to seeded moguls, esp at the end of the year) all year. And if it was that good with 101 guns, I can only imagine what i will be like with 251 total. I loo fwd to finding out!

Greg

Staff member
I for one was very impressed w Mt. Snow's snowmaking (and commitment to seeded moguls, esp at the end of the year) all year. And if it was that good with 101 guns, I can only imagine what i will be like with 251 total. I loo fwd to finding out!

Wait until they have plenty of water for all those fans. How about them seeding Chute next year? :idea:

drjeff

Wait until they have plenty of water for all those fans. How about them seeding Chute next year? :idea:

Personally I think what Mount Snow should do with respect to The Northface and bumps is the following:

First off, when open basically you'll always have Beartrap, Lower Nitro and Yard Sale bumped up. Northface wise, you'll just about always have atleast 1 groomed cruiser between Plummet, Freefall, Chute and Fallen Timbers. Ripcord, Jaws, Olympic and Challenger tend to be left ungroomed, unless mother nature dictates otherwise (post thaw freeze up).

Now back to Plummet, Freefall, Chute and Falllen Timbers. Turn on the guns and open them up, then to keep the cruiser folks happpy, groom out a couple and and let the other couple bump up. Then on a weekly cycle, grrom out one of the bump runs while letting a previously groomed cruiser start to bump up. That way you'd have a really bumped up trail, a partially (and building) bumped up trail and then some cord for the folsk that want cord. This year they could have gotten away with this cycle with how cooperative mother nature was. If mother nature wanted to send a bunch of thaw/freezes at us, well then it wouldn't work quite as well.

arik

I agree with Dr. Jeff's comments above about grooming patterns on the north face, sounds nice to have a variety available, groomed, small bumps, and big bumps.