• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mrg = fail

AdironRider

In an ode to Highway Star, MRG has to be having one terrible season.

bdfreetuna

I am waiting for both Fall Line and Paradise to be open.

Otherwise what's the point of going there?

Those two trails are what I would ski all day long. Sick terrain.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I am waiting for both Fall Line and Paradise to be open.

Otherwise what's the point of going there?

pretty much the whole damn place ;)

as to the OPs point. I think it's valid. I drove up to scope the place out when skiing Sugarbush Monday and it was a pretty bleak seen. Rode the lift at Cannon on Wednesday with a Share and Season Pass holder. He wasn't super bitter, but he was joking about only getting 1 day in so far, so that one day cost him $454.

I think MRG could add a bit of snowmaking without it screwing up the "vibe". A few trails off the double probably wouldn't hurt much. I'm thinking trails like Grand Canyon, Porcupine etc. Even adding Catamount down to the cross over off the Single probably wouldn't make much of a difference to the "vibe".

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
It might not hurt the vibe but the money for that type of project (both to build and to blow the snow every year) isn't there. MRG lives and dies by natural snow and those of us that love the mountain are just fine with that. I was there a few weeks back after the last storm and it was awesome. I'm sure today will be awesome today with almost the entire mountain open. Another week of micro storms and it won't be long before all the woods are ready to go. Get at it.

mlkrgr

pretty much the whole damn place ;)

as to the OPs point. I think it's valid. I drove up to scope the place out when skiing Sugarbush Monday and it was a pretty bleak seen. Rode the lift at Cannon on Wednesday with a Share and Season Pass holder. He wasn't super bitter, but he was joking about only getting 1 day in so far, so that one day cost him $454.

I think MRG could add a bit of snowmaking without it screwing up the "vibe". A few trails off the double probably wouldn't hurt much. I'm thinking trails like Grand Canyon, Porcupine etc. Even adding Catamount down to the cross over off the Single probably wouldn't make much of a difference to the "vibe".

Heh; I would be considered lucky for the one day I got in especially at MRG with this crappy of a season. Ski bus that I like only has ran once and is cancelling Waterville Saturday and Sunday this weekend due to lack of bookings; Sunday River for Monday is up in the air but not looking good. Seeing they are struggling to attract people for MLK Day as the outlook for especially that day is very good, I have no explanation other than this economy is tanking more than any of us can imagine. Frankly, I'm still waiting for day one. And plus I include gas, tolls, etc. so a lot of times the days cost more than what meets the eye but is worth it in the end.

Edd

I have never known Sunday River to struggle to attract people. The bus trip may not draw people but, trust me, they will be there.

mlkrgr

I have never known Sunday River to struggle to attract people. The bus trip may not draw people but, trust me, they will be there.

Same here; I've seen the bus run in much more marginal conditions than this though. I even wrote off a day with 30 mph forecasted winds last year with gusts to 50 to 60 in which it still ran to Loon. Amazingly enough, I checked conditions and lifts still ran even though there was a warning that day that there may be holds as I was curious if the lifts were shut down that day.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It might not hurt the vibe but the money for that type of project (both to build and to blow the snow every year) isn't there. MRG lives and dies by natural snow and those of us that love the mountain are just fine with that. I was there a few weeks back after the last storm and it was awesome. I'm sure today will be awesome today with almost the entire mountain open. Another week of micro storms and it won't be long before all the woods are ready to go. Get at it.

Understood, but how well funded is the trust supporting MRG? I have a hard time imagining the area will finish in the black having only been open what 3 days total prior to the MLK weekend?

Seems to me a couple million investment in snowmaking might be a good long term hedge against bad weather an ensuring the area remains solvent.

lolkl

Understood, but how well funded is the trust supporting MRG? I have a hard time imagining the area will finish in the black having only been open what 3 days total prior to the MLK weekend?

Seems to me a couple million investment in snowmaking might be a good long term hedge against bad weather an ensuring the area remains solvent.

No water. Simple. Besides, the people who SKI Mad River would rather sit than ski man made.

deadheadskier

Staff member
No water. Simple. Besides, the people who SKI Mad River would rather sit than ski man made.

There is certainly enough run off on that mountain to fill a small snowmaking pond to cover a very limited operation. I was suggesting just a couple of trails.

And I think you're missing my point. I'm not discussing MRG skier preferences. I'm discussing the long term financial sustainability of the area. I'm not a shareholder. Maybe a shareholder can chime in how well funded the trust is to sustain running in the red. One bad year? Two?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com

What trust? MRG doesn't always finish in the black. Snow making would not help that situation one bit. The investment and associated costs would not be off set by more skiers. Skiers don't show up at MRG to rip the cord. A couple million in snowmaking? It took a massive donation campaign to upgrade the Single, 2.5mil or so if I recall correctly. Other infrastructure issues are far more important and wouldn't require costly long term debt.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Heh; I would be considered lucky for the one day I got in especially at MRG with this crappy of a season. Ski bus that I like only has ran once and is cancelling Waterville Saturday and Sunday this weekend due to lack of bookings; Sunday River for Monday is up in the air but not looking good. Seeing they are struggling to attract people for MLK Day as the outlook for especially that day is very good, I have no explanation other than this economy is tanking more than any of us can imagine. Frankly, I'm still waiting for day one. And plus I include gas, tolls, etc. so a lot of times the days cost more than what meets the eye but is worth it in the end.

Its not the economy...its the lack of snow. The economy was just as bad last year and they had a record season....difference is the snow...Or lack thereof.