• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New member and trail conditions in VT

una_dogger

Hi
I'm new to your board! I live in NY and have been hiking and backpacking for about 10 years now.
I was interested in doing an overnight hike in Vermont sometime this week; the Emily Proctor/LT/Cooley Glen trail loop.

Has anyone been up there in the past couple of weeks and if so, how is the mud?

Thanks,
The Una_dogger

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Welcome to AlpineZone! Enjoy the community here - we're not too crazy. Usually. :D

I'm going to cut and paste a statement off VFTT's Trail Conditions here:

All higher elevation Vermont Trails
4/6/05

It is Mud Season in the Vermont Mountains! The late season snowfall coupled with heavy rains is shaping this mud season up to be epic. Please help the Green Mountain Club and other northeastern trail maintaining groups to minimize trail maintenance costs and reduce erosion by staying in the lower elevations and choosing other outdoor activitied while the trails dry out - biking, canoeing, walking on old woods roads, etc. Mud Season is from April 1 to May 30. Please note that the State of Vermont closes all trails from April 15 to Memorial Day - this includes Camels Hump, Mansfield, Laraway, Belvidere, Jay, and the Worcester Range trails (Elmore, Worcester, Pinnacle, and Hunger).

There are lots of mud season hiking opportunities out there. Please give us a call at (802) 244-7037 or check out our new website at www.greenmountainclub.org

Submitted by: Pete Antos-Ketcham - GMC Education Coordinator

Mike P.

Welcome to Alpinezone

Michael J. has given you some good info, for the higher peaks they don't like you up there from mid-April to Memorial Day. Waht I don't know is if they extend that at all if unusually cool & damp spring makes thawing take longer than normal.

JimG.

Staff member
Hey Una, I noticed that you live in Poughquag...I live on Rt. 9 in Beekman. Whereabouts in Poughquag are you, we must be neighbors.

una_dogger

thanks everyone!

Hi
Thanks to all who offered trail condition reports, I skipped Vermud altogether and headed for the Daks. My trip report is posted in the trip report section!
Jim; I live in Gardner Hollow, I rent a small house from our friendly town magistrate!
Happy trails !
Sabrina
the UnaDogger and
Terra the Dog

JimG.

Staff member
Re: thanks everyone!

una_dogger said:
Hi
Thanks to all who offered trail condition reports, I skipped Vermud altogether and headed for the Daks. My trip report is posted in the trip report section!
Jim; I live in Gardner Hollow, I rent a small house from our friendly town magistrate!
Happy trails !
Sabrina
the UnaDogger and
Terra the Dog

Cool! I'm right next to the Baptist church on RT.9, right across from Baker Road. I'm sure my 3 boys would love to meet Terra some day.

una_dogger

Pics posted

Hey all
I just posted a link to my Adirondack pics over in the trip report section!
:)