• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Newbie here

LBaron

Hello,

I am totally new to this forum and have never done any serious hiking before.

I wanted to take a scenic hike with my dog where I could take some pretty good pictures this winter. Can anyone recommend anything that would be safe and scenic in the Boston area.

I'm willing to go to any new england state pretty much.

Thank you!

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Welcome!

In the Boston area head for the Blue Hills Reservation south of the city. Spectacular views and "what you see is what you get" weather. This is probably the best starting point for you and the pup.

I wouldn't recommend the White Mountains in NH in winter to anyone who hadn't hiked seriously before.

Mike P.

Welcome

How much snow do you & your dog want to see?

Blue Hills is a great spot. If not looking for great elevation changes check out some rail trails, the Cape is well known for a couple they have & likely to have less snow. There is also a bike path that runs along the Canal that people walk on too.

You could pick up a couple of the 50 Hikes books of which there is one for just about every state, sometimes more than 1 for states like NH with lots of trails. At the moment much of CT & MA has little snow cover, that could change at any moment.