• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Newest Piece of Ski Technology

RossiSkier

Although they have been around for years, they have only now started to become affordable. They are now an essential piece of ski gear. I'm talking about the MP3 PLAYER.

I would like some assistance from the group on what are their TOP 5 SKI SONGS. Please no rap, hip-hop or disco.

Top Ski Songs from last weekend:

FLY AWAY - Lenny Cravitz
THE SKY IS FALLING - Stevie Ray Vaughn
PARANOID - Black Sabbath
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER - Blue Oyster Cult
LET IT RIDE - BTO

Vortex

I bought a walkman (gosh I sound old) 5 years ago to take skiing with me 1 day and I was like this takes away from the experience. I don't mind people skiing with them. I was concered that I might lose the sound sensation and not feel comfortable. I was right. The yea and nea of music while skiing I would leave for another thread. Songs Row -Jimmy, cold,Rain and Snow,
New Speedway boogie, I know you rider and Althea are my favorite pre run Songs. All GD

dmc

RossiSkier said:
Please no rap, hip-hop.

What?!?!?! Oh right "eubonics"...

Personally I love riding to hiphop, drums and bass and triphop...

DEVO

It's funny, I tried skiing with a walkman back in the day and also thought it took away from the experience, BUT I can't imagine skiing without some song going through my head. Usually something fast like Rage Against the Machine or Linkin Park, or some ski movie soundtrack (something from License to Thrill.....did I just date myself???)

RossiSkier

MP3 players are much better than Walkmen. They weigh absolutely nothing and can store the equivalent of dozens if not hundreds of songs. Mine takes 1 AAA battery and stores 50 songs.

tree_skier

talk to the girl at steamboat (who ran into a snowcat while listening to her mp3) about which songs she liked. Opps sorry you can't, she didn't here it or it's siren and died from the collision.

ctenidae

Personally, I can't stand listening to headphones (anywhere, really, but especially skiing. Can't even walk the dog comfortably with them. I've got to hear what's around me.)
However, if I were listening to music, it would often have to be to Wagner's Flight of the Valkyrie (helicopter attack music from Apocalypse Now), as nerny as that may be. Standing at the top of the mountain, looking down at the trail you're gonna teach a lesson to, it's perfect.

dmc

tree_skier said:
talk to the girl at steamboat (who ran into a snowcat while listening to her mp3) about which songs she liked. Opps sorry you can't, she didn't here it or it's siren and died from the collision.

What - she couldnt see a huge snowcat coming up a trail...???
Or did it overtake her at a big 5mph???

Ridiculous attempt at making someone feel the way you do by scaring them...

B

beswift

Funny, I was wondering about a list of the best Winter Lovers songs. Yesterday, I listened to Mary Black's version of Joni Mitchell's Urge for Going (also performed by Tom Rush) and that started me thinking. When I worked at Ski Town in Braintree (now defunct), I complained about the redundancy of the music they piped in. I was told by the owners that they had hired a guy who had studied the music tastes of DH skiers (pretty bad taste IMHO) and that they were supplying what they liked. A list of favorite NorthEast winter songs would not overlap with what they piped in. Let me add three of these oldies,
Let it Snow, Chestnut's Roasting, Moonlight in Vermont, White Christmas, for starters. Let's not get corny, now. I tried skiing with this minature FM radio I bought in France, but the reception was too bad. Nevertheless, I find skiing with a disc player rather lame, it's better to learn how to yodel.

Vortex

DEVO said:
It's funny, I tried skiing with a walkman back in the day and also thought it took away from the experience, BUT I can't imagine skiing without some song going through my head. Usually something fast like Rage Against the Machine or Linkin Park, or some ski movie soundtrack (something from License to Thrill.....did I just date myself???)
I kind of get that. I talk to myself while I ski. I get no Arguement. Really its just thinking out loud I hope.

RossiSkier

tree_skier said:

i doubt that listening to the mp3 player was the cause of the impact. that's pretty silly.

RossiSkier

tree_skier said:
around a blind corner

so you ski trees and are preaching about an mp3 player. i'm gonna go back and read all your posts and try to absorb your wisdsom wise sage.

subdude

I was at a ski instructors clinic back in Dec and a 16yr old kid shows up at line up with a walkman on. First thing the instructor said was lose the music or go home. Personally I don't listen to music while skiing. However every run I take I think about a song in my head while skiing to get the rythem flowing while skiing. It works great.

B

beswift

RossiSkier said:
tree_skier said:

i doubt that listening to the mp3 player was the cause of the impact. that's pretty silly.
I agree. Often I am startled by the sound of skiis thinking it is a skier approaching from behind. I discover that it is the sound of my own skiis. I think music or talk would cut this out. However, the sound of someone giving a warning Left or Right usually is so faint that it would be blocked by earphones for sure.

dmc

subdude said:
I was at a ski instructors clinic back in Dec and a 16yr old kid shows up at line up with a walkman on. First thing the instructor said was lose the music or go home. Personally I don't listen to music while skiing. However every run I take I think about a song in my head while skiing to get the rythem flowing while skiing. It works great.

People that work for the mountain should not be wearing headphones for sure.. They have a responsibility to someone other then themselves...

I on the other hand... Do not... And I like it that way!!!

B

beswift

subdude said:
Personally I don't listen to music while skiing. However every run I take I think about a song in my head while skiing to get the rythm flowing while skiing. It works great.
Ya, I usually let the latest song I have been listening to while driving go through my head when I am Alpine skiing. However, when x-c skiing I listen to the squeak of the skiis against the snow. In fact, I've met very capable ski professionals who have had so much experience with waxless bases that they can comment on the various sounds they make. It would be a selling point to claim one was quieter than another. Consequently, most trail or backcountry skiers are there for the silence IMHO. Still one of my greatest ski memories was doing a last run at Alta by myself. A patroller was sweeping the area and yodelling so wonderfully that I was stunned. He did this so that any lost skier would hear him and shout out for help. I wonder if the practice wasn't the start of this great way of singing.

dmc

beswift said:
Consequently, most trail or backcountry skiers are there for the silence IMHO.

I enjoy silence in the BC... But when I'm climbing/skinning it's nice to have a soundtrack to give some rythym for the climb... If I'm in a dangerous spot - I won't use the MP3 player.. For instance climbing the Chute at Tuckermans...
It's important to hear the initial crack of falling ice... As well as people shouting about falling ice, skis and people
I use the MP3 when I'm cruising the snowfields or something easy like Hillmans... But on the headwall - I turn it off...

And when I'm in a shelter it's nice to have music to drown out the snoring...

tree_skier

RossiSkier said:
tree_skier said:
around a blind corner

so you ski trees and are preaching about an mp3 player. i'm gonna go back and read all your posts and try to absorb your wisdsom wise sage.

Your point is what? My point is that if your music interfears with here the siren on a snow cat then you shouldn't have it that loud.

Personally having breifly experimented with a walkman a long time ago I found that it messed with both my natural rythem of skiing and also with my balance when I was cranking it up a bit.

Working at Mount Snow I see plenty of Joey's & jib monkeys using them which is all well and good until one of them collides with one off my kids or myself. Mount Snow can be very crowded and I know many occaissions where being able to here what is going on around me has enabled me to avoid potential collisions. When you intentionally take that ability away then also place yourself at fault for any mishap you ar involved with.