• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Newest Piece of Ski Technology

GadgetRick

Website
www.rickandedith.com
Well...

...most ski areas reaquire you ski/ride with at least one ear headphoneless. They do this because you cannot hear things around you which may keep you from either being hit or hitting something/someone.

With that said, I'm a huge fan of music. I'm on my 3rd iPod and just convinced my mother in law to get the new iPod Picture. Wouoldn't mind one myself. :)

I don't prefer music on the slopes, however. I enjoy the sound of the slopes. It's fun hear children screaming with glee, the nice swishing sound of edges on snow, the scraping sound of loud powder (i.e. ice) and the laughter as friend laugh when someone wipes out. :)

jimme

Rapper's Delight
Thriller
I Will Survive
Boogie Oogie Oogie
Brick House

Are these kewl songs to listen to?

ROTFLMAO

B

beswift

dmc said:
I enjoy silence in the BC... But when I'm climbing/skinning it's nice to have a soundtrack to give some rythym for the climb... If I'm in a dangerous spot - I won't use the MP3 player.. For instance climbing the Chute at Tuckermans...
It's important to hear the initial crack of falling ice... As well as people shouting about falling ice, skis and people
I use the MP3 when I'm cruising the snowfields or something easy like Hillmans... But on the headwall - I turn it off...

And when I'm in a shelter it's nice to have music to drown out the snoring...
Well, I guess you just aren't in the most people catagory, are you? Actually, in my personal case I want to hear the wildlife.

dmc

Working at Mount Snow I see plenty of Joey's & jib monkeys using them which is all well and good until one of them collides with one off my kids or myself. Mount Snow can be very crowded and I know many occaissions where being able to here what is going on around me has enabled me to avoid potential collisions. When you intentionally take that ability away then also place yourself at fault for any mishap you ar involved with.

How will a MP3 player cause someone to run into you...???
I really think you should depend on you sight to avoid things.. A really good friend of mine is deaf - and she never hits anyone of gets hit - she;s a great skier - places high in the Bear Mt Mogul Challenge every year...

Normally you can see down a trail and see someone infront of you... When you stop you should face uphill so you can see if someones coming at you...

I'm dyslexic(seriosly) - Someone says "on your right" and I've turned into them...

The fact is - in those choke areas of the trail... You just gotta slow down and not pass - unless there's enough space...
Take your turn in line and get past it...

dmc

Re: Well...

GadgetRick said:
...most ski areas reaquire you ski/ride with at least one ear headphoneless.

I doubt thats true... I've never seen that... Nor have I been stopped at a ski area for it...

dmc

beswift said:
dmc said:
beswift said:
I enjoy silence in the BC... But when I'm climbing/skinning it's nice to have a soundtrack to give some rythym for the climb... If I'm in a dangerous spot - I won't use the MP3 player.. For instance climbing the Chute at Tuckermans...
It's important to hear the initial crack of falling ice... As well as people shouting about falling ice, skis and people
I use the MP3 when I'm cruising the snowfields or something easy like Hillmans... But on the headwall - I turn it off...

And when I'm in a shelter it's nice to have music to drown out the snoring...
Well, I guess you just aren't in the most people catagory, are you?

I didnt make up those stats... Lots of BC skiers and riders I know wear headphones...

B

beswift

dmc said:
I didnt make up those stats... Lots of BC skiers and riders I know wear headphones...
What Stats? All I see relates to your personal approach. By the way, I picked up an excellent Grundig radio which has Short Wave broadcasts and tried it on Cannon. Didn't pick much up, though. I wanted to get the French broadcasts out of Montreal. I find I can pick them up better here on the cape. Nevertheless, I do have CB and Weather (Noa) portable radios which I would take into the BC on extended trips.

dmc

beswift said:
dmc said:
What Stats? All I see relates to your personal approach.

I am what I am...
I alway thought outdoors people were rugged individualists?
Only without a walkman on I guess... ;)

RossiSkier

tree_skier said:
RossiSkier said:
tree_skier said:
around a blind corner

so you ski trees and are preaching about an mp3 player. i'm gonna go back and read all your posts and try to absorb your wisdsom wise sage.

Your point is what? My point is that if your music interfears with here the siren on a snow cat then you shouldn't have it that loud.

Personally having breifly experimented with a walkman a long time ago I found that it messed with both my natural rythem of skiing and also with my balance when I was cranking it up a bit.

Working at Mount Snow I see plenty of Joey's & jib monkeys using them which is all well and good until one of them collides with one off my kids or myself. Mount Snow can be very crowded and I know many occaissions where being able to here what is going on around me has enabled me to avoid potential collisions. When you intentionally take that ability away then also place yourself at fault for any mishap you ar involved with.

My point was that I don't think the girl's MP3 player got her killed as you made it seem, however unintentional. We can let it drop now.

tree_skier

RossiSkier said:
tree_skier said:
RossiSkier said:
tree_skier said:
around a blind corner

so you ski trees and are preaching about an mp3 player. i'm gonna go back and read all your posts and try to absorb your wisdsom wise sage.

Your point is what? My point is that if your music interfears with here the siren on a snow cat then you shouldn't have it that loud.

Personally having breifly experimented with a walkman a long time ago I found that it messed with both my natural rythem of skiing and also with my balance when I was cranking it up a bit.

My point was that I don't think the girl's MP3 player got her killed as you made it seem, however unintentional. We can let it drop now.

My point which yoou missed was if she wasn't using the mp3 player she would have heard the siren and quite posibly avoided the collission.

RossiSkier

ok. actually i was just looking for people's favorite ski songs. that's all. please get off the soap box and let's all live happely ever after. Nuff said.

dmc

tree_skier said:
RossiSkier said:
tree_skier said:
RossiSkier said:
tree_skier said:
around a blind corner

My point which yoou missed was if she wasn't using the mp3 player she would have heard the siren and quite posibly avoided the collission.

My problem with this whole thing is - where did the groomer come from??
Behind her? From the side??

It just doenst make sense... I ALWAYS see something downhill of me... And I doubt a groomer can go as fast as most people ride...

It just doesnt make sense...

bvibert

Staff member

GadgetRick said:

I've never heard of this, what ski areas require one ear headphonless? That would be a real pain to enforce, especially with the helmets that have built in headphones...

dmc

bvibert said:
GadgetRick said:

I've never heard of this, what ski areas require one ear headphonless? That would be a real pain to enforce, especially with the helmets that have built in headphones...

See thats the problem here...
Everyone spews these facts but I find them hard to believe...
And nobody will back them up...

again... LAME....

skidbump

God, i thought you were asking for a list of good rhythm song to ski by

how bout almost any pink floyd to criuse the blues
and i think i whistle "wish i was a rich man"
oh god thats a show tune

ctenidae

So, let me see if I've got this straight:

1) mp3 players are cool, but may or may not be appropriate for skiing;
2) Steamboat has supercharged, ultra-quiet, sneaky, and possibly lethal snowcats, which may or may not be avoidable based on your useage of mp3's;
3) Walkmans are old;
4) Look downhill;
5) beswift likes to XC quietly;
6) dmc likes his music, but tries to listen prudently, and doesn't like people snoring;
7) RossiSkier is just looking for some tunes;
8) Quoting entire posts seems to take up a huge amount of space;
9) Several people seem to have gotten up on the seriously wrong side of the bed this week.

Did I miss anything?

I did:
10) Some ski areas may or not require one ear to be free, which may or may not be difficult to accomplish with helmets which may or amy not have built in headphones.

11) "8 [open parentheses]" makes this guy: 8)

dmc

ctenidae said:
So, let me see if I've got this straight:

1) mp3 players are cool, but may or may not be appropriate for skiing;
2) Steamboat has supercharged, ultra-quiet, sneaky, and possibly lethal snowcats, which may or may not be avoidable based on your useage of mp3's;
3) Walkmans are old;
4) Look downhill;
5) beswift likes to XC quietly;
6) dmc likes his music, but tries to listen prudently, and doesn't like people snoring;
7) RossiSkier is just looking for some tunes;
8) Quoting entire posts seems to take up a huge amount of space;
9) Several people seem to have gotten up on the seriously wrong side of the bed this week.

Did I miss anything?

12) People love to use facts in their arguments but never back them up..
13) Some people would love for everyone to think they are excellent..
14) I need coffee...

Greg

Staff member
13) dmc is excellent.

dmc

Greg said:
13) dmc is excellent.

I know that already... shucks...

I didnt see a smiley there Greg.... Got the hint... :)